Pouch reset w/ endurance training

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/21/18 5:00 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Does anyone have experience with a pouch reset during endurance training? I finished my half marathon season in March/April and put on ~8 pounds. I'm now 1/4 of the way into my marathon training and am considering a pouch reset to help with those few pounds and get my capacity back down.

Just not sure how much of a hit I'll take on energy, so wanting to get some other peoples input. I know theres a few on here (or used to be...) that are endurance athletes as well?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Gwen M.
on 8/21/18 6:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

First - you have a sleeve, not a pouch.

You'd be better off doing "all meat all week" to get yourself off any carbs that might have crept into your diet.

I'm an "endurance athlete" and the only extra food I ingest is a few Clif Bloks on my longest run days. So I don't find that my energy, capacity or weight change while training.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/21/18 6:39 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Thanks for the reply.

Oh god... the whole sleeve/pouch thing. I dont care what people want to call it, I've never heard it called a "sleeve reset".

I dont eat meat really anymore, mostly vegetarian, so that doesnt work for me.

I dont add extra calories when I go out for my long runs, either, but doing one of the resets seems like majority of the calories normally ingested would be gone, and my glycogen stores wouldnt be the same.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Gwen M.
on 8/21/18 6:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

"Resets" are bogus to begin with. So maybe that's why you've never heard people mention a sleeve reset ;)

The vegetarian version of "all meat, all week" would be "eat dense stuff that's higher in protein and fat, since that will fill you up."

And then, to "reset your capacity and lose weight," you really just want to eat the way you're supposed to eat. So prioritize dense proteins, skip the carbs especially the slider/processed/refined carbs.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 8/22/18 6:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15 with
On August 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T. wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Oh god... the whole sleeve/pouch thing. I dont care what people want to call it, I've never heard it called a "sleeve reset".

I dont eat meat really anymore, mostly vegetarian, so that doesnt work for me.

I dont add extra calories when I go out for my long runs, either, but doing one of the resets seems like majority of the calories normally ingested would be gone, and my glycogen stores wouldnt be the same.

resleeve/pouch.

it is a matter of correctness. Those with sleeve gastrectomy don't have a pouch cause the sleeve formation is nothing like the pouch formation. They don't even act the same way. Nothing about them is the same.

Those of us who have had WLS need to learn to speak about them intelligently.

 


          

 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/22/18 7:39 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Gotta be honest with you. I dont agree, nor do I really care. I've already posted how the semantics arent even accurate.

Not getting into it with you again, but glad to see you're still here, doing well, and posting passionately about these types of things :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

hollykim
on 8/22/18 8:51 am, edited 8/22/18 1:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15 with
On August 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Pacific Time, Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T. wrote:

Gotta be honest with you. I dont agree, nor do I really care. I've already posted how the semantics arent even accurate.

Not getting into it with you again, but glad to see you're still here, doing well, and posting passionately about these types of things :)

they are certainly accurate as you would know if you bothered to educate yourself.

edited to add, yeah, at least I do stay around, making all kinds of posts, unlike dome ppl.

 


          

 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/22/18 8:54 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Educate yourself.

Tried to find this for my post above, but wasnt able to. Found it now, though!

Feel free to read thru this post, and all the sources I cited. Feel free to email all the surgeons/doctors and let them know they are uneducated. :)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6006848/Is-the-VSG-a- sleeve-or-a-pouch/

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

hollykim
on 8/22/18 3:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15 with
On August 22, 2018 at 3:54 PM Pacific Time, Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T. wrote:

Educate yourself.

Tried to find this for my post above, but wasnt able to. Found it now, though!

Feel free to read thru this post, and all the sources I cited. Feel free to email all the surgeons/doctors and let them know they are uneducated. :)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6006848/Is-the-VSG-a- sleeve-or-a-pouch/

the surgeons who developed these surgeries chose the names for the reduced stomachs and they chose pouch and sleeve. They had reasons for their choices of names.

just because some other surgeons use the names incorrectly doesn't make it correct.

 


          

 

MarinaGirl
on 8/21/18 7:15 am, edited 8/21/18 12:17 am

"Pouch reset" is a fad diet invented by someone who wanted to sell stuff on the Internet. It is not medically recommended or legitimate. If you've gained weight you're probably eating too mu*****luding simple carbs. Solution is to eat less, eat dense protein first followed by non-starchy vegetables, and minimize/remove processed food and sugar from your diet. Your sleeve capacity most likely hasn't changed, you're just eating too many slider foods. Also make sure you're drinking lots of water everyday.

×