How do you put your oxygen mask on first?

Partlypollyanna
on 11/5/18 12:26 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Talking with my BFF recently and we got on the subject of self care or, as she put it, putting on your oxygen mask before helping somone else with theirs! I'm curious what you do to make sure you're taking care of yourself while getting through the day to day with all it's ups and downs/twists and turns.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Gwen M.
on 11/5/18 2:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I do a lot of preventative care for myself. Exercise, therapy, monthly massages, time with friends, reading, and doctors appointments. I try to do a ****ton of this when I have time and hope that there will be carryover during the periods of life when I don't have time. Like right now :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Partlypollyanna
on 11/6/18 12:56 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I like the idea of doing a lot when you can and "storing" it up for when you are too busy. It's like a self care continuim!

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/18 5:47 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I am not good at taking care of myself first. I find myself focused on my family more than I worry about my own benefit. Though, I am trying to get better about this, even if it is a struggle. Exercise is therapy for me. Doesn't have to be hard cardio at the gym, but I like to walk in my neighborhood now. Since I started I have seen things I've never seen before in my suburb, and people actually wave at me when they drive by! The crisp, fall air is nice too and I've seen the beautiful colored leaves. It's not intense exercise, but I make sure to walk at a good pace to both enjoy what is around me and raise my heart rate up a bit.

This is not quite what is meant maybe, but I also have began turning my phone on do not disturb when I get home from work. I work at night and during the day on the weekends, I have been getting up and answering the phone when family calls regardless of my need for sleep. Since sleep is a struggle for me, I have since stopped answering my phone, texts, e-mails during those times I should be resting.

Partlypollyanna
on 11/6/18 12:56 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I think the phone think is an incredible example of realizing where you need to put yourself first! Great job!!

Jen

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/6/18 9:16 am - Burleson, TX

I have never, ever been good, at this...but I am better, NOW, than I have ever been...and that's not claiming a whole lot!

Part of it probably my gender/upbringing (oldest girl, of 6 kids)/generation (I'm 61****upation (retired nurse/current home child care giver)/etc/etc...I've always been taking care of somebody

These days, once the Short Peeps get picked up, I pretty much do my own thing. My DH is very easy going - isn't one of those idiots who expects meat and potatoes, on the table, every night (good thing!)...I will go the gym/walk/read/or just collapse, after my 12-14 hour work day

Saturdays are MY day. I try really, really hard, to keep it open, for "me" stuff. Currently I attend a 6 week long Yoga class - my first, and I'm really enjoying it. At first I even felt a bit GUILTY...so dumb, a feeling !!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Amy R.
on 11/6/18 11:12 am

I've always been taking care of somebody

omgoodness Gina this ^^^^. I'm struggling now and have been for months due to empty nest. It's supposed to be the time to concentrate on hobbies and other interests. My problem is that I don't know where to start. I was a teenage mom way before it was popular and do not know what it is like to spend time the way I'd like spend it. Because I don't know what that looks like after 36 years of mom-ing.

How do you decide what to do with this extra time? Anybody? I wish there was an aptitude test for hobbies and such because I realize doing things you enjoy IS self care.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/7/18 6:44 am - Burleson, TX

AMY - a lot of it is having to get out of my own head, and out of my comfort zone. Last weekend I went to a live community theater play a lady I met, in line, at WalMart, invited me to! We just started talking, and one thing lead to another!! I had a great time

RNY 4-22-02...

We Can Do Hard Things

Amy R.
on 11/8/18 9:59 am

haha! I love this (about the play). Probably because I talk to strangers too. Most people in grocery store lines probably wish I'd just be quiet!

Thanks Gina. I get where you're going with this and I know you're right.

sorry for hijack OH'rs. But this is what long term post op looks like. Not centered around food. I'm so grateful for the surgery that gave me my life back.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/9/18 4:57 am - Burleson, TX

AMY - EXACTLY!!! "not centered around food"...the price, of the ticket, included 2 concession items - I gave the concession tokens to the kid, sitting next to me - made his little face SO happy :)

RNY 4-22-02...

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1300 views