Where to get supplies (prepping for my surgery)?

VioletFemme
on 11/10/18 3:01 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

I am currently prepping for my January 4 surgery (omg only 55 days away). I am able to get most of the things on the list, but one thing that is hard to find is small containers. Where do you get 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup and 1 cup Tupperware containers? I see them as part of sets, but I don't need larger sizes.

Also, what is something that wasn't included on your list from your bariatric clinic that you found helpful in first 2 months post surgery?

My current list from my doctor:

• Sugar-free flavouring
  • Protein supplements and shakes
  • Vitamins - Multi, Vitamin D, Calcium, B12 (I have list for the 1st month post surgery, then for month 2 onward)
  • Pill cutter
  • Pill organizer
  • Blender/Food Processor
  • Small bowls, plates, containers
  • Food scale, measuring cup, measuring spoons, snack size freezer bags
  • Broth
  • Sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding
  • Cream soups
  • Yogurt (lactose free greek yogurt for me)

My list:

• Mug warmer
  • Pillow for car ride home from hospital
  • Positive attitude
  • Pulse oximeter (genetically predisposed to blood clots and I lost my old one)
  • Iron supplements (been off and on anemic since 12, so going to supplement from the get go post surgery) have a per-surgery consult in December and I have a hematology appointment in December so I'll ask what kind to get

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/18 4:52 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I got tiny containers from Walmart. Bed, bath and beyond may have them if you have one where you live.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/18 5:41 pm
CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/11/18 7:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I didn't need most of those things that you have listed to lose 220 lbs and maintain for nearly four years now. Like the above poster stated, if it helps you to nest, then that's fine, but really, you need very little...

Sugar-free flavoring -- I never needed this. I do have a couple coffee flavorings, but I rarely use them.

Protein shakes -- not all are created equally. Whey protein isolate is the most absorbable -- avoid collagen protein as it's pretty much unusable. Your tastes can vary wildly after surgery. I strongly recommend waiting to stock up on anything due to this. Many people really like Syntrax Nectar brand shakes.

Vitamins -- good quality ADULT multi that is NOT a gummy. Should meet 100% of your needs -- then you take 2X that amount. Vitamin D should be D3 and DRY (especially if you're getting an RNY or DS), Calcium should be CITRATE, B12 should preferably be the methyl bonded and sublingual.

Pill cutter -- never needed.

Pill organizer -- never needed.

Blender/food processor -- I already had these things because I cook for my family. If I didn't already need them for my every day cooking, I would not have needed these things for surgery.

Small dishes -- I used saucers, and often still do.

Food scale -- this is the one thing I did need and still use every. single. day.

Broth -- I used this for my pre-op time, and somewhat in the first week after surgery only.

Sugar-free jello and pudding -- I used sugar-free jello during pre-op, but never pudding as there were too many calories/carbs making it with milk and I didn't want to waste calories on it.

Sugar free popsicles -- used only the week after surgery to help get in fluids in my sore pouch.

Cream soup -- never used. Wasted calories with no real nutritional benefit.

Yogurt -- I used greek yogurt that was under 80 calories --

Small containers -- I just bought those semi-disposable rubbermaid containers in the tiny snack sized. I prepped a bunch of little pureed meals. I didn't even eat them all. It's hard to imagine how little you will be eating after surgery, and how little effort you need to make to eat enough.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MarinaGirl
on 11/11/18 10:20 am
On November 10, 2018 at 11:01 PM Pacific Time, VioletFemme wrote:

I am currently prepping for my January 4 surgery (omg only 55 days away). I am able to get most of the things on the list, but one thing that is hard to find is small containers. Where do you get 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup and 1 cup Tupperware containers? I see them as part of sets, but I don't need larger sizes.

Also, what is something that wasn't included on your list from your bariatric clinic that you found helpful in first 2 months post surgery?

My current list from my doctor:

• Sugar-free flavouring
  • Protein supplements and shakes
  • Vitamins - Multi, Vitamin D, Calcium, B12 (I have list for the 1st month post surgery, then for month 2 onward)
  • Pill cutter
  • Pill organizer
  • Blender/Food Processor
  • Small bowls, plates, containers
  • Food scale, measuring cup, measuring spoons, snack size freezer bags
  • Broth
  • Sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding
  • Cream soups
  • Yogurt (lactose free greek yogurt for me)

My list:

• Mug warmer
  • Pillow for car ride home from hospital
  • Positive attitude
  • Pulse oximeter (genetically predisposed to blood clots and I lost my old one)
  • Iron supplements (been off and on anemic since 12, so going to supplement from the get go post surgery) have a per-surgery consult in December and I have a hematology appointment in December so I'll ask what kind to get

I agree with others that you don't need most of the things on your list. Save your money and instead spend it on heme iron (e.g. Proferrin), which is more absorbable than other forms of iron and doesn't cause GI issues, but it costs more. Addressing your anemia issues pre and post-op is more important than buying stuff.

Julia S.
on 11/14/18 11:03 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

My Dr gave me a prescription for the vitamin D and B12, but I found it was cheaper to buy it on Amazon.com. I had bought a Nutri Bullet and found it was a waste of space and money. I gave it away. I never could eat anything pureed it grossed me out.

I found out I was lactose intolerant after surgery. So I would recommend whey protein isolate. I personally love the Syntrax Nectars. You can order a trial package with 15 flavors to figure out what flavors you like before you have to order the 2lb size. After surgery everything tasted too sweet, so just a warning. Get some broth and I understand the Unjury Chicken Soup is good, and it doesn't have any chicken in it.

Food scale is a must, I already had a digital one that I found cheap at Grocery Outlet. I also had dehydrated split pea soup that tasted really good to me, it was the consistency of puree, I had about 1/3 of the prepackaged cup per serving.

Don't stress too much, I bought vitamins from Bariatric Advantage and they were very expensive and tasted terrible. And to avoid constipation the ferrous fumarate works, and find a calcium that also has magnesium. Add in stool softener, I buy Costco brand and it is cheaper.

Just relax it will be fine.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Kathy S.
on 11/14/18 11:34 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Violet,

How exciting, congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I agree with others, don't get to hung up on getting what is on a list. You won't need most of those things. Also, don't buy too much of anything eating wise. We all have found what we liked and could eat before surgery does not mean you will be able to after surgery. Your taste buds change. So many times people spend a ton of money on supplies and then can't get them down after surgery. Have fun, relax (if you can) and get ready to live your life as it was meant to be lived

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Janet P.
on 11/20/18 10:21 am

I got rid of so much SF jello and broths and soups, etc., in the months following surgery because I never touched them. As others have said, if this prep helps you, go for it. Otherwise just go with the flow.

Don't over buy anything. Your tastes may change after surgery so if you like the taste of something now, you may not post-op. If you're taking pain meds, you may need a pill cutter. I simply used the smaller bowls, plates and utensils I already had (teaspoon and salad fork, lunch/salad plate instead of dinner size plate).

Any big box store (Target, Walmart, etc.) will have all sizes of containers. Ziplock and Glad sell small containers that aren't very expensive (usually the small containers come in packs of 2-4). If you're near a Container Store they sell individual containers of all sizes (hence the name of the store).

You don't say what type of surgery you're having. Don't worry about vitamins. You probably won't take any for at least a couple of weeks and then you'll be building up. Same with protein. It's a gradual process. If you know you have anemia, you may consider infusions - much easier than supplements.

Good luck

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 11/25/18 10:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
  • I never used sugar free flavoring for anything except in line at Starbucks.
  • Get several single-servings of different brands and flavors of protein shakes. Also try egg white protein along with whey isolate protein. DO NOT TRY ANYTHING before surgery, as tastes change quite drastically for many of us afterwards.
  • I never used a pill cutter, and just had a single little pouch to hold my pills to take for work. I never needed an organizer.
  • I never needed a blender or food processor for any reason related to my surgery.
  • You probably already have small bowls and plates. A coffee cup can sub for a small bowl. A pie plate or saucer will sub for the plate.
  • I never measured beyond eye-balling, but I've cooked and baked for a good many years and great at such estimates.
  • Make your own broth now - so you have something truly wholesome and actually tasty. Starting with this week's turkey, make a good bone broth by cooking overnight in a crock pot. Pour cooled broth into ice cube try and freeze. Keep cubes in a ziploc bag and pull our one or two at a time. Plan your December meals to create opportunities to make more broth. When you don't require it after surgery anymore, it's a great soup or gravy starter.
  • Beware all of the sugar free stuff - many have bad reactions to artificial sweeteners. If you need lactose free yogurt - skip the SF pudding. If you can handle cheese like ricotta - make pudding from that and some cream for a protein boost instead of useless fillers.
  • Many cream soups have added flour (to thicken instead of cream) which adds to gas...bad gas for some. Make your own cream soups ahead of time and use real cream (has no lactose) and no flour. If anything, thicken with some parmesan cheese for a protein and flavor boost.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1477 views