What is the psyche eval like?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/18 8:28 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Even if you "don't do that anymore," I wouldn't be surprised if a surgeon would be INCREDIBLY hesitant to undertake you as a patient knowing that you've done such things to previous medical providers.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

itsjustmisty
on 11/14/18 9:40 am
VSG on 10/10/18

Mine was me talking with the psychologist about myself, past, what I knew about the surgery. My understanding of the surgery. My past attempts at weight loss. Things that were a problem that contributed to my weight gain. I also had to fill out a very long questionaire that had lots of questions. Some where obvious to see if I was suicidal some were just to see how I react to people and my surroundings. It was very simple and easy. I had no issues. I was completely honest with mine personally even including past suicidal tendencies and was approved fine. (I am under counseling for that though currently so I am sure that helped).

FatManTX832
on 11/14/18 7:25 pm

I am suicidal, I'd love to die. #1 question they ask afterward is "How do you want to do it." Funny thing is, I never thought about how to do it, until a few asked me how I wanted to do it, then I came up with a sexy plan knowing how I do it is an example of how I feel aboout myself. So I came up with a crazy and unique way. Can't share it publically.

Things that contribute to my weight gain? The love of food! I quit heroin, oxycontin (same thing technically), alcohol, etc. So.... I can quit those things, just avoid the areas and people where it's available. Food on the other hand, you need that drug 3 to 4X per day and if you go to grandma, aunt, uncle, cousin, they give you food. Now imagine you are a heroin addict and everywhere you go they give you H. My problem is I love food and it's everywhere. Proof? When I was in prison, I lost 85lbs, food was scarce (yeah, yeah they feed you 3X per day but I wouldn't feed that **** to my dog). Came home, 5 months later right back.

I react very badly to my surroundings. I am an alpha male and I make sure everyone knows I am the alpha and there is no beta, only deltas. Nobody is 2nd to me, NOBODY. Bad way of being, I know. I react very badly to people around me. I used to be somebody very important and still heavily connected. Yes I am old, disabled, fat, gray, slow, but I still get **** done. I am not the guy you make fun of, patronize, snicker at, give an attitude to. I make sure you know who you are dealing with when you get out of line. Plus I trust nobody, never, everybody is out to get me (anxiety, panic, criminal mindset (shrink), career criminal and my favorite, "kingpin" as announced by judge and prosecutor).

I think I am thinking about it too much. I fooled every shrink and for once I am going to be honest and open. I need this.

on 11/14/18 8:23 pm, edited 11/14/18 12:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 15, 2018 at 3:25 AM Pacific Time, FatManTX832 wrote:

I am suicidal, I'd love to die. #1 question they ask afterward is "How do you want to do it." Funny thing is, I never thought about how to do it, until a few asked me how I wanted to do it, then I came up with a sexy plan knowing how I do it is an example of how I feel aboout myself. So I came up with a crazy and unique way. Can't share it publically.

Things that contribute to my weight gain? The love of food! I quit heroin, oxycontin (same thing technically), alcohol, etc. So.... I can quit those things, just avoid the areas and people where it's available. Food on the other hand, you need that drug 3 to 4X per day and if you go to grandma, aunt, uncle, cousin, they give you food. Now imagine you are a heroin addict and everywhere you go they give you H. My problem is I love food and it's everywhere. Proof? When I was in prison, I lost 85lbs, food was scarce (yeah, yeah they feed you 3X per day but I wouldn't feed that **** to my dog). Came home, 5 months later right back.

I react very badly to my surroundings. I am an alpha male and I make sure everyone knows I am the alpha and there is no beta, only deltas. Nobody is 2nd to me, NOBODY. Bad way of being, I know. I react very badly to people around me. I used to be somebody very important and still heavily connected. Yes I am old, disabled, fat, gray, slow, but I still get **** done. I am not the guy you make fun of, patronize, snicker at, give an attitude to. I make sure you know who you are dealing with when you get out of line. Plus I trust nobody, never, everybody is out to get me (anxiety, panic, criminal mindset (shrink), career criminal and my favorite, "kingpin" as announced by judge and prosecutor).

I think I am thinking about it too much. I fooled every shrink and for once I am going to be honest and open. I need this.

If your mental health is such that you want to die, you should probably NOT have surgery.

It's an incredibly difficult emotional adjustment and should be undertaken when you are mentally stable.

If you think you're better than everybody else, and that comes through on this board-- where you undoubtedly know far less about how to be successful after WLS than many of the regular posters and veterans-- I think that could end very badly for you.

FatManTX832
on 11/15/18 9:09 am

Thing is, I was never suicidal until shrinks started asking how I wanted to do it. So, now that I know how I want to do it, and sometimes think about it, technically I am. Not that I am going to do it any time soon. I got too much stuff going on, kids, grandkids, etc.

I seriously doubt I was ever "Mentally stable". Doctors say different, but, what do they know. I insist I am crazy, unstable, etc.

I am NOT better than everyone else. Maybe that came out wrong. I am a natural alpha. I always knew this. Even docs said I have "Natural leadership tendancies with control issues". That's not a bad thing right? I mean if there are 20 people, there is always one leader. I am not better, I just always lead. I know how to control a situation and 99% of people want to be lead. Plus I have a knack for finding the weakest in the bunch and making them stronger (not pouncing on them to make them weaker). I always make the weaker ones better/stronger. For some reason finding the weakest and helping them makes me feel better. That last pars is not a good quality, shrinks said it's sosheopathic, undermining, for my own gratification, etc. But regardless why I do it, the weaker one is now stronger and has more confidence. How is that bad?

I n no way do I know more about WLS, which is why I am here asking questions and reading success and failure stories. I feel I learn more from failures tho.

on 11/15/18 9:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> Doctors say different, but, what do they know.

Sounds like you fundamentally do not trust doctors. In a situation where your life and health is in your surgeon's hands, as it is with bariatric surgery, you need to put a lot of trust in your medical team. This sounds like it could be very difficult for you, which I see as a very big potential red flag.

Gwen M.
on 11/15/18 4:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

WLS will not fix the relationship you have with food.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Julia S.
on 11/14/18 10:50 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I believe that you need to be honest, if you are lying in the psych eval then you are only lying to yourself. If you are not honest about how you got to this point and what issues you have had in the past then you are not ready for surgery. The only way this works is if you have addressed your issues or are addressing them with counseling currently. I personally know that trauma in my past has led to my weight gain, if you are unwilling to admit it we will see you in the regain lane.

Just my opinion, but lying is never good.

Good Luck!

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

FatManTX832
on 11/14/18 7:35 pm

I am not going to lie and say it's glandular or stress. No, I just F word ing love food. I love making it, I love eating it. It's why I am fat. No stress? No problems? Celebrate with food! Food makes me happy.

Issues are addressed. Had hundreds of hours of therapy (court ordered) with lots of psyche evals. Fooled the ones I had to, honest with the ones I wanted to open up to. In the end I fixed all my problems. I caged up my demons in my attic. Each one in a private cell. Sure they make noise, sure they bark, but every now and then I go to them and tell them to shut the F up. Rattle their cages **** on them even. "I'm still alive. Still standing. I won. Zip it." I don't like to discuss them (let them out their cage, cause they're hard to catch and put away again). That speech is real and it gets me out of spilling my guts to the shrink to get meds. But I am off of all meds now, they never helped.

Still get panic attacks tho. They changed tho. One therapist explained "It's a flight or fight mechanizim and your body is choosing flight." and instantly, I realized i had a choice, I can fight. So now a panic attack that would be me fainting or feeling like a heart attack, I turn into the hulk and rage it out even hitting a few. Throwing stuff, showing off upper body strength, yelling, and it always worked. Funny part is, I don't remember doing it. Once did 10 days in county for beating up a guy who wouldn't give me space. Mandatory therapist visits, anger management, yadda yadda but I did beat it due to proof of past. That was my last warning tho. 3 years ago.

FatManTX832
on 11/15/18 9:11 am

How I got to this point is I Effing love food. LOVE! I overeat because it makes me feel love and happiness even for a short time. No excuses. I think it's why 90% of us are here. Sure some are stress eaters, some don't have money/time to eat right, etc. but we all love the feeling of it. I do anyway. Can't speak for others. Trauma, stress, abuse, etc. play a part. For the few minutes I am eating, I feel great. I got no problems admitting that.

Most Active