So hungry on Optifast

btm61
on 11/29/18 6:02 am

Well, I'm finding out that there are many folks on this forum, like other forums, who are intent on misrepresenting my statements and then calling me names when they do so. they are also intent on implementing the First Amendment when it applies to them, it just doesn't apply to everyone (like me). The statement I made is that weight loss is calories consumed minus calories burned. There is no scientific evidence that any other math applies. How you do it is of no consequence to me. I would just like the facts to be out there. One study I found yesterday, conducted by the CDC, stated that 50% of those who go through bariatric surgery generally regain 50% of their excess weight back within two years. Compare that to those who go through the program I am on 62% of those participants staying within 5% of their ideal rate range for 5 years after attaining it. Even the CDC study clearly stated that many who go through Bariatric Surgery and see it as a quick fix solution never learn how to eat healthy thus regain their weight. It's not true because I said it, it's true because science says it. I'm sorry if I rocked your boat folks, or if I have informed you of something you doctor hasn't, but it doesn't make it any less correct.

Gwen M.
on 11/29/18 6:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Since you apparently still don't know how the first amendment works, I'll repost this for you.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

btm61
on 11/29/18 8:13 am

Gwen, Everytime I see something like this I laugh because after all of these responses to my original post, no one yet has refuted my claim that weight loss is governed by the number of calories consumed vs the number of calories burned. No one yet has refuted my claim that how you achieve that is relatively inconsequential, whether by Medically Managed care or by surgery. No one yet has refuted my claim that no matter the path chosen, it takes discipline. Your inability to understand that says a helluva more about you, and the many others who have done nothing but belittle me every chance they have gotten, than it does me. My facts are facts, they were fact 40 years ago and they'll still be facts 100 years from now. Have a great day.

Julia S.
on 11/29/18 8:38 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

You are responding to something that you know nothing about. Most programs require a minimum of 2 weeks pre-op liquid diet. It is done to shrink the liver so the surgeon has a better view during surgery. The person who posted is in this phase. She is not doing Optifast just to lose weight, it is mandated by her surgery program. Most of us that have had surgery went through this as mandated by our individual programs. Please don't tell someone they are wrong when they are following their surgeons orders.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

btm61
on 11/29/18 8:55 am

I didn't say she was wrong, I asked a question. Thank you for helping me understand this, Julia S. I appreciate it.

ChrisFB
on 11/29/18 11:54 am
RNY on 12/12/18

Thank-you as this response just reinforced all the insecurities and guilt I've had about not being able to "loss the weight on my own". I put that is quotes because even with surgery, we are doing all the hard work and committing to a lifetime of change. Thank-you for the support and empathy

Julia S.
on 11/29/18 1:35 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Don't feel bad about not losing the weight on your own. Most of us that have had surgery lost significant amounts of weight over our lives, but were unable to maintain it. That is the reason we've had surgery. I have failed many times in the past, but I need to move forward and learn from my mistakes. I feel that I have a much better chance of success now. I have spent too much of my life not participating due to my weight, and avoiding situations for fear of others judgements. I wouldn't go to events because I didn't want people to see that I had gained weight. I refuse to live like that anymore. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life being fat.

Part of the journey is learning to let go of the past, and learning how to be successful in the long term. Making a life long commitment to healthier eating and making exercise a part of your life. You are on your way!

Be kind to yourself!

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

btm61
on 11/29/18 7:10 pm

I wish nothing but the best for you, Chris. Good luck with the surgery and God bless you on your journey toward health.

Springer
on 12/4/18 3:53 pm
RNY on 12/17/18

My surgery date is December 17th and I am only 2 days into Optifast and I have a headache too. Argh, although I am full, I miss chewing on food. Like some chicken! LOL oh boy....

ChrisFB
on 12/4/18 4:06 pm
RNY on 12/12/18

Springer . . . I know this will be hard to believe but I'm two weeks in now and although I'm still not lovin' the shakes . . . I am no where near as hungry as I was those first few days. So, hang in there, it seems like a long road now but it will go quickly and will get easier. No more headaches either!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1457 views