Should I Request an Iron Infusion?

VioletFemme
on 12/16/18 4:55 pm, edited 12/16/18 6:43 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

Hi,

So I have a history of blood clots and had a PE in 2018. When I was diagnosed with the PE, I was referred to a hematologist since this was my 2nd unprovoked clot (no injury, travel, too sedentary etc). The Dr ran a bunch of tests to rule out genetic and/or other medical reasons to rule out as the cause of clots. She also ran other standard tests. Turns out I have low-normal for iron so it's never been flagged. She placed me on iron supplements which I've been taking religiously. In September my ferritin was 23 ug/L (reference 12-192), and my total iron 7 umol/L (7-30). Now, as of Friday, ferritin is 30 ug/L, but my total iron is 4 umol/L. My RNY is scheduled for January 4th, so I don't expect it to improve once you add the malabsorptive factor. She placed me on Ferrous fumarate. Should I request an iron infusion, or would a different iron medication suffice? My appointment is on Thursday this week.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/16/18 5:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like you need an iron infusion, for sure. I'm a little surprised that they'd do surgery with your iron starting out so low. If you had any kind of complication, it could be dangerous.

I would do heme or carbonyl iron over any of the ferrous versikns. Especi ally after surgery, any ofvthe ferrous salts are constipating, and aren't absorbed as well as heme or carbonyl iron.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

VioletFemme
on 12/16/18 6:56 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada
On December 17, 2018 at 1:17 AM Pacific Time, Grim_Traveller wrote:

It sounds like you need an iron infusion, for sure. I'm a little surprised that they'd do surgery with your iron starting out so low. If you had any kind of complication, it could be dangerous.

I would do heme or carbonyl iron over any of the ferrous versikns. Especi ally after surgery, any ofvthe ferrous salts are constipating, and aren't absorbed as well as heme or carbonyl iron.

Thanks. I'll request the iron infusion. I also request cabonyl iron for maintenance. What sucks is the hematologist is part of a hospital network that isn't a part of the hospital network my RNY is being scheduled at. However, they should be able to see results through the e-health network (Ontario, Canada thing) 'cause my family doctor is able to see everything.

My surgery hospital is aware I'm on iron supplements as I had my pre-admission appointment on Friday and I brought all my meds. I also brought print outs of my previous labs (2017 onward), but that showed the low-normal level. It sucks that I did the new labs after my pre-admission appointment for my hematology appointment that is upcoming on Thursday. At my pre-admission appointment I also did labs, but looking at the app and reviewing the results, they did not test me for iron. I do know that I signed a consent form for a blood transfusion if complications do arise.

I will shoot my RNY hospital an email (I'll also call) and let them know about my iron issues and advise them to contact my hematologist.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

Kathy S.
on 12/17/18 8:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I agree, that is too low. Keep us posted on how it goes and Good luck with your surgery. We are with you all the way

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1374 views