Ankle Replacement Anyone??

allbygrace
on 12/23/18 9:10 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I have had severe arthritis in my ankle for about ten years. I have done ankle exercises, walking and stretching exercises for it. I have had ankle wraps and even wore a boot to support my foot. I have had shots in my ankle at least every six months. The last time I had shots, the pain came back within two months. I take tylenol for arthritis twice a day. Yesterday, I stayed on my feet all day and today I am suffering with this ankle. I am keeping ice on it several times a day, staying off my feet today. I am so tired of this ankle drama! lol I want to be able to walk all day without paying for it the next day. (I am 61 years old.) Has anyone out there had an ankle replacement? This is my last resort and I am scared of doing it! I haven't talked to my doctor yet about it, going after Christmas to get a couple of shots in it. Can anyone tell me about the effects of having an ankle replacement? Thanks in advance!

Knitter215
on 12/24/18 5:48 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

I'm staring down (and trying to put off) bilateral knee replacement. The best advice I can give you is do your research on the procedure and get a second opinion. Go to a surgeon who does this surgery often and to a large hospital where the procedure is done regularly and the physical therapists are used to dealing with it. I can't offer anything specific except do your research. Best wishes.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Kathy S.
on 12/26/18 9:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Allbygrace,

I have been on here for over 15 years and honestly had not heard of an ankle replacement. So sorry for all you have been through. That being said with us being so heavy for so long we end up paying the price down the road. Do your search and find the best surgeon you can and you owe it to yourself to get moving. After all that is why we have surgery is to live life as it was meant to be lived.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and we are here to support you all the way!

Take care,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

allbygrace
on 1/1/19 9:49 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

I first started having trouble with my ankle after spraining it by walking on cobble stone sidewalk. Being overweight added to the arthritis that built up in the ankle. I went to the Bone & Joint walk in clinic yesterday and had x-rays of my knee and ankle. I have moderate arthritis in both but the pain is almost unbearable in my ankle. I was given a shot in my knee and my ankle. I was told I was a candidate for an ankle replacement and knee replacement. I was told at my age the ankle replacement was a better choice than a fusion. The ankle replacement would last around 25 years. I am almost 62 now. I have decided to keep taking the shots and do physical therapy exercise and get the extra 35 lbs off my joints. I will talk to the surgeon when the shots no longer work for me. I hate the thought of having an ankle replacement. It will be my "last" resort. Hoping getting the extra weight off will make the difference but in the mean time I will take shots every 3 months and take tylenol for arthritis pills. I have a tough journey but I am determined and hopeful. :)

Kathy S.
on 1/2/19 5:01 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Sounds like a plan allbygrace. My husband replacement his right hip and one knee and needed the other one replaced too. He did all the options before surgery and once nothing else worked he had the surgery. Again, I have not known anyone that had the ankle surgery but will tell you with PT after surgery both his hip and knee replacement went well and he was pain free after he healed. His knee took over a year but again he was finally pain free.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MarinaGirl
on 12/26/18 11:55 am

I've never heard of this either but did a Google search and found the following info:

"Total ankle arthroplasty (TAA), also known as total ankle replacement, is a surgical procedure that foot and ankle orthopedic surgeons use to treat ankle arthritis."

Since this is not a common surgery I would find the best foot & ankle surgeon around, one who has experience with MO patients, and get 2-3 opinions on a treatment plan.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/21 4:33 am

My sister in law has been operated on recently. She says it's worth it.

Zenasavan
on 7/6/21 4:22 am

All I can say is that knee replacement is the best thing that you can do for yourself. I've been avoiding this surgery for a while and tried literally everything to stop the pain. The knee brace has helped me, but not for too long. I guess it also depends a lot on how bad your knee hurts. I know that there are many people who feel very comfortable wearing a knee brace and don't need surgery. But if your doctor recommends you to be operated on, then try to find a good surgeon. Take care and stay healthy!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1475 views