Tess Holliday shuts down body shamers comparing her to a hippo

Kathy S.
on 12/27/18 6:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Tess Holliday shuts down body shamers comparing her to a hippo

Body shaming is not OK no matter what size you are!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/27/18 8:12 am, edited 12/27/18 5:19 am

I am all about accepting the body as you have it. Fat and all the other stuff that can make people self-conscious about their bodies.

But, let's face it, some of us dealt with excessive body weight. For the long term the excess weight we carry around can and it does cause damages to our joints, our hormonal balances, our sleep, breathing, etc. It affects most of our our body functions.

I don't like when I get too thin, with body fat % too low for me. But gaining just 20 lbs extra weight above what I want to be is causing my knees's pain. I am happy with the weight and the size I am now, but I get so tired of the pains in my knees that I am currently working really hard to lose. Just 20-25 lbs extra can cause the pain. And she probably has at least 100-150 lbs extra. That can't be good or healthy for anyone.

We have people here on OH that need or needed knees replacement surgeries because they were heavy for too many years. Her time is yet to come.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

akanikkie
on 12/30/18 11:16 am
VSG on 04/27/15

I am of two minds about this topic. I, too, have knee and back issues plus other health concerns from having excessive weight most my life. There is no denying the affects of obesity - it's scientific. But there is also a soul, a spirit, a person beneath our skin/bones that deserves respect and love.

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

jenorama
on 12/27/18 8:28 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

This is a woman that's heading for trouble. I can appreciate that no one wants to be compared in that manner, but she needs to get her act together soon and stop pretending that everything is fine. I do not like how she inspires young women to wallow in the idea that losing weight and keeping it off is not only impossible, but desirable. We all know it's neither.

Jen

Gina 21 Years Out
on 12/27/18 1:13 pm - Burleson, TX

I have all the confidence, in the world...

I am also quite confidence that NOBODY wants to see a picture of me, lying nekkid, in a cornfield...

Knowing how mean idiots can be, anyone who puts out a picture, such as the first one, is probably going to get "shots", like the second one. Is it RIGHT? Of course not! But, is it surprising? Not to me, and apparently not to the young lady, in the picture, who is getting more publicity now...

Like my fellow OHers have said, sure do worry about her health, and that of any followers , who think of her as a good example

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kathy S.
on 12/28/18 5:51 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I agree with everything everyone said here however sadly we know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drin****il they have their own light bulb moment no one can tell them otherwise. No one could tell me otherwise.... It was not until I hit 40 and my body said pay back time did I start to think about it and it took me years to actual do it.

Let's hope she and others make changes before their bodies start to make them pay back...

Miss Liss
on 12/28/18 7:23 am

I am all about ending fat shaming and people learning to love themselves right where they are in life. But, let's face it, being that large isn't just about people making fun of her appearance which is wrong, wrong, wrong; it's about health. And being overweight is NOT healthy EVER. The problem I have with accepting your body just the way it is, is that it's not healthy. You can be overweight for a period of time and be healthy. I was. I had no health issues at 277 pounds at 30 years old when I had my surgery 15 years ago. But, I can guarantee you that if I had not had surgery and lost the weight, I would have a multitude of health problems now because it's in my family. I know the health issues my father and grandparents had because of doing nothing about their weight.

I also have a difficult time feeling too bad for her because she posed for the pictures and put herself out there knowing how mean human beings can be. No matter how hard we work at it, we will never end meanness in the world. If you don't want people making fun of you for being large, then don't post nude pics of yourself lying in a field. I know nobody wants to see me lying naked in a corn field, and I'm not overweight, but I got the skin to prove I once was, and it ain't pretty. And, I know that. So I don't subject myself to the meanness I know I would get if I posted such pics. I do admire and respect her ***** and self confidence for being able to do it though.

Kathy S.
on 12/28/18 7:26 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

There is no question in my mind I would be dead now if I had not had the surgery. It's just hard to get that through to someone so young.....

Gina 21 Years Out
on 12/28/18 8:18 am - Burleson, TX

VERY well said !!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

VSGAnn2014
on 12/28/18 8:12 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Drama.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active