-

LuckyLoser
on 1/6/19 2:15 am, edited 1/5/19 6:15 pm - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

I was a VA physician (Geriatrics) for 11 years. I hope I wasn't one of those that you felt was rude. I worked with a lot of other physicians and nurses *****ally cared about the veterans they served. Yes, we felt that we "served" you, the veterans who "served" for us. It was our small way of trying to thank you for the sacrifices you made serving in the service so we can enjoy the life we do.

I have been out of VA service since 2015, so the rules may have changed in the VA. (Don't they always!) Does the VA still allow you to go out to the private sector to get medical care if you can't get timely care at a reasonable distance? The VA I worked at was able to do that for other illnesses, but I'm not sure about WLS.

Just something to think about . . .

---Joyce

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

Pure_Prairie
on 1/7/19 2:14 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

Thank you Ms. Joyce,

They do in fact make outside referrals, however you have to get your physician to approve that referral. So even though I am service connected for an orthopedic injury my doctor refuses to make the referral to ortho.

It was basically the same with WLS I don't know if Private Citizen has had any luck (didn't sound like it) but based on her distance alone she should be eligible for the Choice program (I believe that's what they call it).

Hopefully she can use this advice to get a second opinion and get the help she needs!

White Dove
on 1/6/19 2:50 am - Warren, OH

A female needs about 10 calories a day to maintain one pound. So you might need 500 a day to maintain 50 pounds or 2000 a day to maintain 200 pounds.

A man or a woman with higher metabolism might burn 12 calories per pound and stay at 166 on 2000 calories a day.

Age and exercise make a difference.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Haley_Martinez
on 1/6/19 3:51 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

This is what I heard as well. So right now I would theoretically need about 1,400 calories a day to maintain, which is my experience in practice too.

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/7/19 10:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

According to medical research, laproscopic and open surgery are both risky, just in different ways.

"Compared with open GBP, laparoscopic GBP was associated with a decrease in the frequency of iatrogenic splenectomy, wound infection, incisional hernia, and mortality; however, there was an increase in the frequency of early and late bowel obstruction, gastrointestinal tract hemorrhage, and stomal stenosis. There were no significant differences in the frequency of anastomotic leak, pulmonary embolism, or pneumonia."

Source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamasurgery/fullarticle/395 497

Regarding the 5-hour consultation, this is actually pretty standard for civilian patients. Private insurance generally requires quite a bit of paperwork, clearance from a psychiatrist, and such.

If you want a general overview, the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" is a very comprehensive overview and can give you a good overview of post-op life.

Regarding calories: I did a survey of almost 100 post-op patients here on OH quite some time ago. (I am a professional survey researcher and data nerd). During the weight loss phase, folks averaged 500 - 600 calories per day, and increased calories to 1000 - 1200 during maintenance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PrivateCitizen
on 1/7/19 12:13 pm, edited 1/7/19 4:16 am
on 1/7/19 12:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A few points to address your response, in no particular order:

• The majority of posters here are female; the number of active male posters here is certainly less than 10. So remember that you're seeing a biased sample here.

• Most successful post ops here pair their surgery with therapy. Our saying here is "surgery fixes your stomach, not your head." As you've mentioned, there are HUGE changes to our behavior patterns in order to remain compliant and successful.

• Most of the people who "need" 2nd and 3rd surgeries do so because they are noncompliant with post-op recommendations, NOT because the surgery failed physically. We see lots of posts here from people posting about revisions, only to learn that they are sliding back into bad habits-- not logging their food, drinking with meals, and not eating a high-protein, low-calorie diet.

• The physical ability to eat more is certainly part of the reason many people regain. However, "diet fatigue" is also a very real part of it. It's very difficult to maintain the laser focus that many of us have in the first year of the "honeymoon period" and be super vigilant about eating correctly. As a result, people slip-- some more than others-- and that causes the regain.

• "Transfer addiction" is a very real possibility as WLS patients cannot use food as a coping mechanism. We see it here with alcohol, as well as shopping and (to a lesser extent) other risky behavior like gambling or unsafe sexual activity.

• I think many of the most successful folks here are the ones who are able to successfully redefine their relationship with food. Hit Google and look for a blog made by a lady named Eggface; she does a great job of adapting "normal" eating patterns for post-op life. She has recipes that taste good and help folks keep eating pleasurable meals, but as a non-morbidly-obese person would.

MarinaGirl
on 1/8/19 8:30 am, edited 1/8/19 12:35 am

Another thing that causes complications post-op is smoking.

My perception is the patients that smoke pre or post surgery that experience complications rarely share that they're smokers. So my #1 tip is to quit smoking forever to ensure bariatric surgery safety & success.

(Note that I'm not implying OP is a smoker, just making a general statement.)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/21/19 8:37 am
On January 7, 2019 at 8:13 PM Pacific Time, PrivateCitizen wrote:

HI, now there is an answer from an expert & experienced person that was amazingly helpful!!!

THIS>> open GBP: wound infection, incisional hernia, and mortality (and I will add need for another major surgery to repair the massive hernia from fascia opening and bulging into a 'pregnancy' belly for 40% of overweight patients. no one tells you that risk.)

Like you Sparklekitty I was a serious researcher for my writing and business for decades, and now in retirement I have read a ton on WLS, dozens of pubmed..gov studies, seen people's videos, joined bariatric FB groups, so I am more hesitant to consider it after already having necessary major surgeries with less than desirable results I had to live with...the above mentioned 'massive incisional hernia', a nightmare for the surgeons to fix.

I see (mostly) women have real trouble with just fluids for 2 weeks before, and after. Many mention cheating out of despair before,and paying the price physically after.

I keep seeing 'head' issues mentioned by all, one man online made an excellent video describing his experience, the less food allowed is overwhelmed by the desire to eat what you see as normal portions;the severe shortening of time to eat and be full, the visual of appealing foods never stops, the delicious smells will never stop, the constant commercial close up TV food ads..and people, even with some mental pre training, must face that, plus relatives pushing food. I have read it all, and that does not even address other mental health issues as the reasons why people eat. I wonder when post therapy will be required in order to prevent 2nd and 3rd surgeries.

(Saw a bariatric surgeons conference video- a room full-300+ surgeons were trying to find a solution to many patients needing that many additional surgeries, which took away time from the ones who needed the initial one. That was shocking, they were stunned and worried too on how to manage that many people, safely.)

I am now convinced that shutting off ability to smell for a year would make a difference! If you ever had a bad head cold you lose smell and taste completely; a delicious hot buttery grilled cheese sandwich (my favorite) I could not smell or taste...might as well be cold oatmeal, or the worst "Metrical" shake from the 1950s (anyone old enough to remember those hideous drinks in a can? or the Ayds candies-who lost their business totally when AIDS developed.

We used to wire shut the jaws of humans to prevent eating- ice cream shakes solved that problem! Blenderizing favorite food was also consumed. In the 80's a woman at 200lbs was the first to have this done, she called herself the "Puerto Rican pork chop"

I am now curious if the very low calorie limit 500-600 the first year might be a reason people regain later when they can eat more without sickness.

I have had medical prep periods where I could not eat as much as I wanted, I know for myself that in limiting size of meals, time to eat, does affect every hour after thinking of food.

The Minnesota Starvation experiment in the 1940s tested 20+ healthy young males, they restricted calories to 1500 a day..and the men basically went crazy over a few months. They licked their plates, they hid cookbooks and tools (illogical), stole garbage to eat, lost all interest in sex, only talked about food, and after it ended some were mentally ill permanently, one cut his own fingers off on one hand, sad to say. Dropping their calories for JUST 4 months knowing they could eat again after still did not prevent this bizarre behavior. These were normal weight men who did not have years of fast food eating to tempt them, or were overweight with a body demanding more calories to support that weight. No wonder there are issues for ANY human.

People I have questioned after seeing their videos tell me that the time 'not eating' or not being able to finish a regular serving of a favorite food messed with their heads. it took them a long time to learn to not look forward to food eating, or having to reject carbonated sodas forever, many reasons, each specific to that person. I know two women locally who 1.turned to alcohol and became an alcoholic, 2. a women with a 3 yr old, on welfare, was granted the surgery for her mental health, and she turned to drugs, and lost her child for good...all because of the head issues she developed in not eating. So yes all of this is off-putting..no matter how smart, educated, dedicated one is there is a lot to 'manage' mentally.

Yet many successful WL patients are not here to discuss this, they don't need to, but those beginning, and those who have regained are here. I want to understand for myself before I'd commit to the surgery risk to achieve a low BMI.

Now that I see the low (compared to normal limits they were used to) calorie limits made the transition difficult, not from real hunger but from the lifetime 'experience' of simply eating...good food, bad food, overeating, etc. Taking a pleasurable activity away in volume, but leaving visual and olfactory senses HAS to make a difference in coping. JMO

"....Yet many successful WL patients are not here to discuss this, they don't need to, but those beginning, and those who have regained are here. I want to understand for myself before I'd commit to the surgery risk to achieve a low BMI...."

I think you are not here, on OH, long enough to make that judgement. If you do - did a lot of research, you should know not to make assumptions. There are a bunch of long term successful WLS people who lost and maintain their loss. Being on OH for over 10 years, being a member here helps me in maintaining my loss. And when I found myself 20 lbs above my happy place, my doc and OH friends motivated me to lose it when I was ready to make a commitment to lose it. Some of us use OH as a online support group, to limit weigh fluctuations. And that is typical for almost anyone, WLS or not, over time. We get older, or we get busy with life, putting our weight management on a back burner.

OH is what the members create. We have a platform to ask questions, get answers.

I am sticking around because I developed connection and friendship with some people on OH. I am sticking around, because when my doc couldn't help me with my issues, some vet on OH took her time to help me find answers. She helped me to find info and understanding of what my body was going through when I had issues. Sometimes docs know how to help us, sometimes - they don't and we have to fight for what we need (i.e iron infusion when I became anemic). I am on OH for my support and to help others. I was always told "Don't return a favor, pass it on".

I know my personal experience, and research helped more than one person to find out what is going on, and helped them dealing with it.

Stick around. Read, learn..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

on 1/7/19 12:24 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Another unrelated thought: if you are having a difficult time working with the VA health care system, you may want to look into self-pay surgery in Mexico, where the out-of-pocket is FAR lower than it is here in the states. There are many people here who've used that option, and there's an entire section of the forums for people who've found themselves in that situation.

Most Active