Hello I am New..I am male 34..diabetic (type 2) and diagnosed with Binge eating disorder.

jmk187
on 1/12/19 1:42 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I will be having WLS at highland hospital in Rochester NY. I made the decision to get it with my younger brother at a chinese buffet of all places. We called to reserve our spot at the group seminar they had that night. That was back in September. I had my First (3 hour) group Nutrition appointment with 9 other people in early October. Then my insurance required me to have two more 1 on 1 dietician appointments.(spaced 1 month apart) Which I have had. Plus one extra appointment because my weight loss team did not have all my clearances from all of my doctors.

I am now 5 days from my Consultation with the surgeon, Dr. Omalley. I have lost a total of 18lbs Pre-Op, Going from 372lbs to 354lbs. I am around 5 foot 9. I could have done better but i did cheat alot. As the surgery is getting closer i am hoping that i got all of the cheating out of my system. It is a drastic measure to have 85% of my stomach removed..One i wish i did not have to take. But I am diabetic. I got diagnosed about 5 years ago and it has been a constant battle ever since. I hoping to be off meds after surgery. They make me feel horrible even with blood sugars stable. Currently I am on 2 shots(Victoza 1.8mg, Basaglar 15units, and 2 pills(metformin 850mg 2x daily, Glimepiride 1mg 2x daily)

Greateight
on 1/12/19 7:46 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Congratulations! and good luck with your surgery. You are about the age where these health issues start, and trust me, they do not resolve on their own.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

jmk187
on 1/12/19 7:52 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Thanks Greateight!

MarinaGirl
on 1/12/19 7:49 am

Welcome to OH and congratulations on making the decision to have bariatric surgery and getting through all the pre-op preparations! Which surgery are you having and how did you pick it? Did you and your surgeon select the one that has a better chance of resolving your diabetes?

I would encourage you to work with a therapist (if you aren't already) to work through food addiction issues. Weight loss surgery fixes your stomach not your brain. If you don't address your head issues than you're at high risk to regain weight after the honeymoon phase ends, when weight loss is relatively easy.

jmk187
on 1/12/19 8:16 am
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM Pacific Time, MarinaGirl wrote:

Welcome to OH and congratulations on making the decision to have bariatric surgery and getting through all the pre-op preparations! Which surgery are you having and how did you pick it? Did you and your surgeon select the one that has a better chance of resolving your diabetes?

I would encourage you to work with a therapist (if you aren't already) to work through food addiction issues. Weight loss surgery fixes your stomach not your brain. If you don't address your head issues than you're at high risk to regain weight after the honeymoon phase ends, when weight loss is relatively easy.

I am going to choose the Gastric Sleeve. I have not actually seen my surgeon yet. I see him for the first time on Thursday the 17th of this month. I know the Bypass is the best surgery for type 2 diabetes but i have heard some stories of people reversing their type 2 with the Sleeve. I have also heard of some peoples diabetes coming back many years later even with the Bypass. Carnie Wilson (to name a famous person) was actually on Dr. OZ and her diabetes has actually returned. I have made the decision though that No matter what even if my diet slips up, I will never eat sugar or refined carbs anymore.

As for the therapist, I have actually had many years of therapy(for BED, and mental stuff) and I think i have gotten all that i can from it. I actually went to a eating Disorder treatment center for my Binge Eating about 6 years ago. It was actually one of the hardest things i ever did in my life. It was a partial hospitalization. I went 5 days a week for 7 hours a day, and ate 2 meals there. I learned alot but sadly my insurance only paid for 6 weeks and when I returned home I relapsed. While Eating disorder Treatment was nice..They did not specialize in binge eating disorder..and i think i was like one of the first with it they took on...It was quite an experience i will say being with anorexics and bulimic women(and some young teens)

I do know the "honeymoon phase" ends. I have actually been watching many videos online of people gaining all of their weight back after having Gastric Bypass. It is actually one of the reasons why i want the Sleeve..I figure if you can gain back all of your weight with the Bypass...I would rather have the surgery with the least Mal-absorption risk to minimize things like my teeth falling out and bone loss etc..

As for my food addiction issues..Its always going to be there. It doesn't matter if i lose all my weight. I have lost tons of weight and regained..I will always be a food addict. For me the best way to stay clean is to not have that temptation around me.

catwoman7
on 1/12/19 9:12 am
RNY on 06/03/15

you can regain with any of the surgeries - even the powerful DS. You have to be able to control your eating for the rest of your life to keep the weight from coming back.

the tooth issue: we very rarely see posts about that - as in maybe a couple times a year. And my dentist said he'd never seen a case of that among his WLS patients. He said it's most likely caused by acid - probably from vomiting and/or untreated GERD - which would mean you could potentially have dental issues from either surgery. However, as I said, we rarely see any posts about that, so my thought is although it can happen, it's not very common.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

jmk187
on 1/12/19 9:37 am
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 12, 2019 at 5:12 PM Pacific Time, catwoman7 wrote:

you can regain with any of the surgeries - even the powerful DS. You have to be able to control your eating for the rest of your life to keep the weight from coming back.

the tooth issue: we very rarely see posts about that - as in maybe a couple times a year. And my dentist said he'd never seen a case of that among his WLS patients. He said it's most likely caused by acid - probably from vomiting and/or untreated GERD - which would mean you could potentially have dental issues from either surgery. However, as I said, we rarely see any posts about that, so my thought is although it can happen, it's not very common.

That is a relief to hear about the tooth issue catwoman7! It's definitely one of the things I have been thinking alot about.

catwoman7
on 1/12/19 9:46 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I talked to my dentist before I had WLS (that's how I knew he'd never seen that issue before). He gave me a prescription for a super high-fluoride toothpaste that I use before bed, and he also does a fluoride varnish on my teeth at my check-ups every six months. He said those two things would go a LONG way in preventing any issues if I happen to be one of those people who has a lot of acid in their mouths. But I suspect since he's never actually seen that issue, he may have done it just so I'd quit worrying about it rather than because he thought I needed it. But that's fine with me!!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Valerie G.
on 1/14/19 1:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm thinking Dr. O'Malley does or is familiar with the DS which holds a 98% cure (yes, cure) rate for type 2 diabetes even for the long haul, unlike bypass. It also has the same sleeve stomach, but there are two kickers:

First, you must get BED under control - if any procedure will put up a fair fight against it - the Ds would be that contender, but I'm afraid you can still beat it or limit your results at the very least.

Second, there is much to learn about being nutritionally healthy. I am 13 years out and in good health, but it is no thanks to any medical professional or nutritionist. They are pretty clueless. I do better with a young, curious doctor that is willing to brainstorm with me on occasion. There are plenty of groups of DSers that share the information needed to live and thrive when it comes to eating and vitamins.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jmk187
on 1/12/19 9:30 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Oh where are my manners..after that long reply to you MarinaGirl..Thank you for welcome!

Most Active