Hello I am New..I am male 34..diabetic (type 2) and diagnosed with Binge eating disorder.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/19 9:27 am

Good luck on your journey. I hope you going to be successful.

Getting the head stuff in check is critical. You mentioned cheating on diet until now.

Having surgery would not fix it. It would not fix the desire to eat food you are not suppose to eat. I think you may need more counceling after WLS than you had before. WLS is a tool. Just a tool. Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jmk187
on 1/12/19 9:34 am
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 12, 2019 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

Good luck on your journey. I hope you going to be successful.

Getting the head stuff in check is critical. You mentioned cheating on diet until now.

Having surgery would not fix it. It would not fix the desire to eat food you are not suppose to eat. I think you may need more counceling after WLS than you had before. WLS is a tool. Just a tool. Good luck.

Thank you H.A.L.A B. I hope i will be successful too. I will take your advice into consideration.

Haley_Martinez
on 1/12/19 9:48 am
RNY on 05/03/18

Hello and welcome!

Surgery is very exciting and I wish you nothing but success. I have heard great stories from people who were able to get completely off their meds post op, so that could easily be your future as well. Some others had to stay on some medication, but I think everyone found that their diabetes was under much better control and they had a better quality of life.

I was pre-diabetic (completely resolved) but on medication for high blood pressure which I stopped right after surgery and is now also completely resolved.

I understand feeling as though you have gotten everything you can out of therapy, but I would encourage you to keep it in the back of your mind. I am probably going to have to start going here soon because I have returned to having binging episodes and my weight loss is far slower than it should be at this point. But I guess better to catch it now than after my honeymoon has closed or I start gaining.

Sorry, got off topic. Anyways welcome and good luck!

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

jmk187
on 1/12/19 10:10 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Hello Haley_Martinez and Thank you!

I am hoping to be one of those that can be completely off their meds. I too have High Blood Pressure and have been on a med for it for 10 years now..I didnt mention that before because it's just so normal for me to take a pill for it, But if i can get off that med too that would be amazing!

I for sure will keep the therapy in the back of my mind. I think if i was having the binging episodes like i used too i would probably be making an appointment too. But I have been doing more of the over-eating(which is by no means good) than the binging. I hope you can get that binging in check. I know for me if i dont stay on top of my eating I could gain 30lbs in 3 weeks.

Kristi T.
on 1/12/19 9:52 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome jmk187! Please keep coming back to OH, the information, advice and support is vital to your pre and post op journey. Join the VSG menu thread "Watcha Eating VSGers?" to see what others are eating and to ask questions. I also read the RNY threads too. I had the VSG 3 years ago this February and have no regrets! There will be ups, downs and a lot of Non-surgical victories:-) There are others on the forum that have been diagnosed with BED as well, they have so much information to share. I still see a therapist and agree with others that it would be a good idea to see one again in your VSG journey. I wish you the best!

jmk187
on 1/12/19 10:00 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Thank You Kristi T. I think i will for sure keep coming back. It's been a while since i have been a member of any weight-loss forum...I really enjoy reading everyones posts. I will for sure join the "Watcha Eating VSGers" thread. That is fantastic you have no Regrets about the VSG! I look forward to taking as much info. from People on this site as i can. I really am burned out on therapy from the many years i was in it. But i will for sure consider it.

Miss150
on 1/12/19 1:02 pm

Lots of good info already addressed re. the surgery and binge issues. I'm going throw out a thought about the diabetes. I, too went into surgery diabetic II and came out not needing meds for it (or blood pressure or cholesterol either). My understanding is that WLS does Not Cure diabetes's, and that while I no longer need meds to maintain healthy BSLevels,

I am still a type II Diabetic. I always will be, it's just that I am a well controlled diabetic through diet and exercise. The research and jury is still out wether or if WLS permanently mitigates the need for meds or not--seems to be yes for some and no for others. I am grateful to be in the yes column for now.

If I go back to consuming sugars and simple carbs, I will need to go back on meds, sleeve or no. That is what the above posters mean when they tell you that WLS is just a tool. The principle applies to loosing weight, getting to goal, and successfully maintaining the loss. The surgery will not protect you from your binge eating disorder. Please consider continuing further help and work on those issues.

Good luck as you move forward. You can do it. We are all rooting for you!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

jmk187
on 1/12/19 8:11 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Hi Miss150,

It is my understanding that WLS doesnt cure type 2 diabetes as well. I personally don't think there is any cure for it..as you said it can me very well controlled though.

I do know know the surgery will not protect me from my Binge eating disorder. It is a big reason why My therapist wouldn't give me the OK back in 2014 when i first tried to get WLS. I was mad at the time that she wouldn't but looking back at it i feel she was correct. I wasn't ready. I havent had a classic binge eating episode in quite sometime.(years) I have however overate quite frequently...and there is a difference. To me an example of a binge episode is going to multiple restaurants and getting take out..Bringing it home and eating it all in one sitting..While there is something cooking on the stove for "dinner" and having tons of snacks and treats to go along with it Which is something i have not done in years.

It's not uncommon for me to eat lots of salad at a meal to get full. Or lots of Non-starchy vegetables. Which is actually what they told me to do at the WLS program i am attending. I am hoping the surgery will make me get full much faster, and my dietician has told me it will. But like i said i have been cheating alot, and when i cheat i have been overeating..Which is something obviously everyone who needs WLS does..Or else we wouldnt need the surgery. But an example of over-eating would be like eating 2 or 3 slices of pizza at a sitting when really I know i should be eating 1 slice. I am much more mindful of what I eat now and I listen to my stomach when it tells me i am full. I don't "push through the pain" and continue eating like i used to in the past.

Thank you for wishing me good luck. Everyone here is nice and has really great advice. I hope one day i can be the one who gives someone advice because I have been successful.

Liz J.
on 1/15/19 6:37 am
DS on 11/29/16

Actually the DS does cure type 2 diabetes, it cured mine. Also they are now using the bypass part of the DS on it's own in Europe to treat/cure diabetes. There is a lot of research out there on the DS and how it's used in most other countries besides ours as a treatment.

Good luck on whatever route you pick.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

jmk187
on 1/15/19 6:41 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I actually read that the DS is being used in europe as a standalone surgery for diabetes...I found that very interesting.

Most Active