Hello I am New..I am male 34..diabetic (type 2) and diagnosed with Binge eating disorder.

Pure_Prairie
on 1/12/19 7:25 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

First of all welcome! Everyone here is so supportive and have your health journey in mind when they make suggestions.

Next is a question, you said your bother was also pursuing WLS? Do you live together? One reason I asked was because of your comment about coming home and resuming previous eating habits. That might be one thing to consider going in. Do you have a solid support system at home post - op?

I wish you all of the best regardless of your decision.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

jmk187
on 1/12/19 8:24 pm
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 13, 2019 at 3:25 AM Pacific Time, Pure_Prairie wrote:

First of all welcome! Everyone here is so supportive and have your health journey in mind when they make suggestions.

Next is a question, you said your bother was also pursuing WLS? Do you live together? One reason I asked was because of your comment about coming home and resuming previous eating habits. That might be one thing to consider going in. Do you have a solid support system at home post - op?

I wish you all of the best regardless of your decision.

Hi Pure_Prairie and thank you!

Yes I do live with my brother. We actually bought a house together with our mother a few years ago. It's definitely not the ideal situation since all 3 of us have issues with eating, But it's our life. Yes my brother is in the program with me. We are definitely poison together when it comes to food. It's for sure a reason why I wasnt successful with my BED in the past. Which is why I am happy we are both addressing this together. We have made some rules though that has been helping with us Do much better than in past. The biggest rule being We cook for ourselves and are both in charge of what we put in our bodies. No more cooking big meals like we have in the past except holidays when family comes over.

I hoping that my brother and i getting WLS will have an effect on my mother and help her lose weight too. But she is old and stubborn and you cant really tell her what to do.

White Dove
on 1/13/19 11:25 am - Warren, OH

I hope you have discussed the difference between diabetes remission rates with RNY as opposed to VSG. You have a much better chance with RNY of putting diabetes into remission. About 80% chance of remission with RNY and 50% with VSG.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jmk187
on 1/13/19 3:16 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

HI white dove,

I haven't discussed the remission rates. I just knew that the bypass was better for diabetes. I am really leaning towards the sleeve though. I like that the sleeve is less invasive. Also seeing vids on YouTube about people who gained back all of their weight(and then some) with both surgeries has made me want to go with the sleeve. Even at my 3 hour group nutrition class with 9 other people. There was a woman who had The Bypass 8 years ago who had gained back all of her weight.

I pretty much am preparing myself that this isn't a sure thing fix and that I am going to have to put in a lot of work to be successful. They say the surgery is a tool and the tool only works as well as you use it..it's so true I believe.

Gwen M.
on 1/13/19 3:48 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hey!

You can gain back all of your weight with any surgery since you can eat around any surgery. Ice cream, for example, is effectively a liquid - you can eat a LOT of it and not get that feeling of restriction that WLS helps us to feel.

The idea that the sleeve is less invasive is also a fallacious one. It removes 80% of a healthy and functioning organ and leaves you with a staple line the length of your stomach - seems pretty invasive to me!

I think you're making some weird excuses to try to justify your choice of the surgery that doesn't have the best chance of resolving your diabetes and fixing the issue you state you'd most like to address - your reliance on multiple medications. Do yourself the biggest favor you can and choose the surgery that will give you the best chance for health.

Are you seeing a therapist to help you work through your mental hurdles? The only way you'll achieve lifelong success is if you address the things that are still causing you to cheat on your way of eating, and on yourself. Sadly, no WLS in the world will fix those things.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jmk187
on 1/13/19 8:54 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Hi Gwen,

I know you can gain weight back with any surgery...I said this.

Also I know both surgeries are invasive..but in my eyes the sleeve is less invasive because you are only messing with one organ.

As for my diabetes..there is no cure for it. Not even with RNY. Will RNY give my diabetes the best chance to be in remission? Maybe...but I know above everything the best chance to do that is to count my carbs and keep them in check.

And no I am not not seeing a therapist for my mental hurdles because I have seen one for 7 years and I am now at a place in my life where I don't feel I need therapy anymore.

Gwen M.
on 1/14/19 5:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14
On January 14, 2019 at 4:54 AM Pacific Time, jmk187 wrote:

Hi Gwen,

Also I know both surgeries are invasive..but in my eyes the sleeve is less invasive because you are only messing with one organ.

As for my diabetes..there is no cure for it. Not even with RNY. Will RNY give my diabetes the best chance to be in remission? Maybe...but I know above everything the best chance to do that is to count my carbs and keep them in check.

And no I am not not seeing a therapist for my mental hurdles because I have seen one for 7 years and I am now at a place in my life where I don't feel I need therapy anymore.

You say you know that counting carbs and keeping them in check is your best option for remission - why aren't you doing that?

Why don't you believe scientific research that shows RNY is one of the best tools out there for type 2 diabetes remission? (Here's a link to just one source of many. Here's another.)

Why is your surgeon on board with performing the surgery that won't give you the best health related quality of life?

Why do you think you don't need therapy anymore when you're still "overeating" and "cheating?" (Newsflash: You do.) Do you think surgery is somehow going to make those things stop? (Newsflash: It won't.) Or that somehow post-surgery life is going to be free from the things that cause you to overeat and cheat? (Newsflash: It won't be.) Surgery might give you a respite if you get to the point where you're gung-ho enough to stop cheating and follow the rules, but eventually real life happens and if you haven't addressed your mental health you'll revert to old habits and coping mechanisms.

Use this time, both pre- and post-op, to get your mental house in order. Clearly it currently isn't.

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

jmk187
on 1/14/19 7:07 am, edited 1/13/19 11:09 pm
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote: On January 14, 2019 at 4:54 AM Pacific Time, jmk187 wrote:

Hi Gwen,

You say you know that counting carbs and keeping them in check is your best option for remission - why aren't you doing that?

Why don't you believe scientific research that shows RNY is one of the best tools out there for type 2 diabetes remission? (Here's a link to just one source of many. Here's another.)

Why is your surgeon on board with performing the surgery that won't give you the best health related quality of life?

Why do you think you don't need therapy anymore when you're still "overeating" and "cheating?" (Newsflash: You do.) Do you think surgery is somehow going to make those things stop? (Newsflash: It won't.) Or that somehow post-surgery life is going to be free from the things that cause you to overeat and cheat? (Newsflash: It won't be.) Surgery might give you a respite if you get to the point where you're gung-ho enough to stop cheating and follow the rules, but eventually real life happens and if you haven't addressed your mental health you'll revert to old habits and coping mechanisms.

Use this time, both pre- and post-op, to get your mental house in order. Clearly it currently isn't.

Well I just typed a huge reply to everything you asked and it cut off everything but like the first paragraph...this really stinks.

Gwen M.
on 1/14/19 7:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14
On January 14, 2019 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, jmk187 wrote:
On January 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:
On January 14, 2019 at 4:54 AM Pacific Time, jmk187 wrote:

Hi Gwen,

"You say you know that counting carbs and keeping them in check is your best option for remission - why aren't you doing that?"

I have done it..I just haven't done it as well. Id say in the 6 or so years i have been diagnosed with diabetes its been 50/50 doing good with counting my carbs and doing bad. The medications my endocrinologist put me on give me a false sense of security..They make you think you can eat more carbs but in reality you feel like crap when you do. I wish my endocrinologist was more stern with me about diet and exorcise but in reality they are quick to write a Rx. A patient like me on 4 medications is seen as "someone who's still in the early stages of diabetes" ...Their words exactly. They routinely see patients who are on excess of 20..30 medications and have loss limbs and going blind.

It's your health - it's your responsibility to be stern with yourself. Tools are only useful in the hands of those who use them.

jmk187
on 1/13/19 9:39 pm
VSG on 02/13/19
On January 13, 2019 at 11:48 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

Hey!

You can gain back all of your weight with any surgery since you can eat around any surgery. Ice cream, for example, is effectively a liquid - you can eat a LOT of it and not get that feeling of restriction that WLS helps us to feel.

The idea that the sleeve is less invasive is also a fallacious one. It removes 80% of a healthy and functioning organ and leaves you with a staple line the length of your stomach - seems pretty invasive to me!

I think you're making some weird excuses to try to justify your choice of the surgery that doesn't have the best chance of resolving your diabetes and fixing the issue you state you'd most like to address - your reliance on multiple medications. Do yourself the biggest favor you can and choose the surgery that will give you the best chance for health.

Are you seeing a therapist to help you work through your mental hurdles? The only way you'll achieve lifelong success is if you address the things that are still causing you to cheat on your way of eating, and on yourself. Sadly, no WLS in the world will fix those things.

I notice you have gotten the VSG Gwen. And that you too have Binge Eating Disorder. So what were some of your reasons for choosing the Sleeve over the RNY?

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1480 views