How to calm these nerves?

MadisonRose
on 1/22/19 7:01 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Cant believe it's finally here. I check into the hospital at 8 in the morning for my RNY surgery and I'm super nervous!!

Don't know why I'm nervous as I've had surgery before, but this is different. I guess I'm most nervous about the unknown. And a bit scared the surgeon may get in there only to find out that he may not be able to do the surgery for whatever reason.

Guess I worry too much. Anyway, what did you guys do to calm your nerves? Won't be sleeping tonight!

Roselane
on 1/22/19 8:15 pm

I am a very anxious person and I was able to make it through pretty well. Here are some things I did:

Taking a slow deep breath is one of the best ways to manage anxiety.

I had a relaxing music playlist and also one of those apps (sleep machine) that plays soothing sounds like the ocean. These really got me through a lot.

Trying to focus on things I was looking forward to was somewhat helpful, as well.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

MadisonRose
on 1/22/19 8:48 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Thank you!! Very helpful advice! Practicing my deep breathing.

Dcgirl
on 1/23/19 8:33 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I can't see a ticker to see your current weight (some people have surgery at 350 lbs, some at 250 lbs). But I know I spent the days before the surgery being so excited, excited that I might finally be able to lose weight and keep it off. Excited that my knees wouldn't ache when I woke up in the morning. Excited that I would be able to wrap a normal sized towel around my body. Excited that I wouldn't have to walk into a room and look around to see if I was the biggest person. Excited to shop in normal clothing stores. Excited that I would have more energy not lugging around all the weight.

Focus on the awesome journey ahead and how great you will feel! This will be the greatest gift you ever give yourself :) I know that I wish I had done it 20 years earlier (though I don't know if I would have been smart enough/dedicated enough to do the work that is required).

But good luck tomorrow - you will do great! Join the menu thread on the RNY board to see what people are eating and get to know people going through the same thing. My friends I made here on OH were my saving grace after surgery - certainly my friends and family don't need to know/don't care to know all the intricacies of learning to eat high protein/low carb in minuscule amounts...so this place is a great place for you!

Pure_Prairie
on 1/23/19 4:47 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

First I believe everyone has them. I would be shocked if you found one OH member that wasn't nervous. It isn't just surgery it is a new lifestyle. BUT that is the great news! You have an opportunity to get a fresh start.

If you can't sleep try making a list of the things you have to look forward to. I am 13 days post op so I will share the exciting thing that happened to me yesterday, I crossed my legs. I was so amazed and pumped I took a picture and sent it to a friend who had WLS this past spring. She celebrated with me. You will have victories large and small.

Best wishes! Check back post op and let us know how you are doing.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

MadisonRose
on 1/23/19 5:04 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Thanks guys! I will respond more when I'm a bit more coherent. Had my surgery this morning and it went well. The pain was a bit more than I expected, but is more bearable at the moment. Felt good to get up and walk earlier. Didn't really want to because of the pain, but I pushed myself because I know how important it is. Will walk one more time tonight before bed. Been sipping on water and just got my tray of six different liquids to sip on. A little nervous about that, but will test them out. All the nurses, techs, residents and especially the surgeon have been awesome!

Like I said, will post more later once I'm not so groggy. Thanks for all the advice, support and well wishes!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/24/19 4:15 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Congratulations! You'll be feeling better quickly and be so glad you did this for your future!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Kathy S.
on 1/24/19 7:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We are so excited for you and when you are feeling better be sure and let us know how things went

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MadisonRose
on 1/24/19 10:34 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Thanks all! I knew the first few days would be rough, but didn't know exactly how rough until now. I got released to go home the day after my surgery because I was keeping everything down and was up walking, but once I got home things started to go downhill.

The pain and nausea has been a struggle for me and makes it very difficult for me to get any fluids or protein down. Before I left the hospital I was able to get in about an ounce or so of apple juice, a sip or two of coffee with Splenda, a sip or two of unsweetened iced tea and about half of a Greek yogurt. Tried a sip of the boost they brought me, but I just couldn't hack it. Since I've been home I've sipped on maybe an ounce of water, had about an ounce of a premier protein shake (which I really like), and had a sugar free popsicle.

I know I could get so much more in if I could just get rid of this pain and nausea. I just have no appetite. My mom is getting frustrated with me because I'm not getting enough in. I'm really trying though. It's about 1:30 in the morning and I can't sleep. Just took a pain pill, but I'm trying to ween myself off of them. It's tough because I'm a stomach and side sleeper and can't really sleep that way because of the pain. Sleeping on my back is even uncomfortable.

How long does this difficult phase usually last? I know for everyone it's different. Any tips you guys can offer? It would be much appreciated! I'm not giving up and don't regret having the surgery.....it's just been a real struggle for me.

Most Active