New here just some general questions

axmxb546
on 2/15/19 9:34 am

My name is Amanda, and I started my weight-loss program December 2018. If I stay on track I will be ready for surgery hopefully end of June or July. I'm currently working on going back to a low carb (not keto) diet. I had gestational diabetes x2 and I successfully lost weight on it both times. I have to loose like almost 20 lbs now before surgery. I actually gained some weight since December

My plan is a VSG. My doctor requires an upper scope before doing it in case there was a reason I would need a RNY. For some reason I am more freaked out about that because I won't be fully knocked out...anyone else have to do an upper scope and how bad was it? I've had friends and coworkers go through the program but they went with a different surgeon who didn't require it, so I thought I'd ask here.

I live in a small rural town, so we only have support groups 1x a month and it doesn't work with my schedule at all. So I plan on using this forum for my support group part of the program. I know it may seem weird about being worried about the upper scope. I really think its that state of being awake but not remembering.

hollykim
on 2/15/19 10:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 15, 2019 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, axmxb546 wrote:

My name is Amanda, and I started my weight-loss program December 2018. If I stay on track I will be ready for surgery hopefully end of June or July. I'm currently working on going back to a low carb (not keto) diet. I had gestational diabetes x2 and I successfully lost weight on it both times. I have to loose like almost 20 lbs now before surgery. I actually gained some weight since December

My plan is a VSG. My doctor requires an upper scope before doing it in case there was a reason I would need a RNY. For some reason I am more freaked out about that because I won't be fully knocked out...anyone else have to do an upper scope and how bad was it? I've had friends and coworkers go through the program but they went with a different surgeon who didn't require it, so I thought I'd ask here.

I live in a small rural town, so we only have support groups 1x a month and it doesn't work with my schedule at all. So I plan on using this forum for my support group part of the program. I know it may seem weird about being worried about the upper scope. I really think its that state of being awake but not remembering.

you won't be awake when you have the scope. You will be given twilight sleep and won't know a thing. You will not be intimated, but you will not be awake.

I have had several,as

well as colonoscopies and knew nothing about any of them.

Kathy S.
on 2/15/19 10:38 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Amanda,

It's weird how we freak out about things. For some reason I was worried about a cath before surgery? Makes no sense. Make sure they know you are freaked out about the scope and they will take extra steps for you. When I was going to have my first colon scope I was freaking out because they said I would not be totally under and they assured me I would not know anything and they were right.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Haley_Martinez
on 2/15/19 3:12 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Hello and welcome! This is a great site for support, so feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like!

My surgeon did require the upper scope and, as the other posters have, said it's done under twilight anesthesia. Most people don't remember the procedure at all, but I actually remember exactly one thing, and that was being absolutely certain that an alien robot was escaping through my mouth. There was no pain and I was completely calm, I just knew for a fact that this mechanical being was coming out of my mouth.

Now comparing this to other peoples experience, I do not believe this is common. You probably won't remember anything, but just know that my experience was being awake and aware enough to have these thoughts and remember these thoughts and there was still no pain or stress whatsoever.

Best of luck!

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Partlypollyanna
on 2/15/19 6:54 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Welcome to the group! You'll find lots of good information and support here. I didn't have to have a scope but I have had twilight sedation and it was very dream like, not stressful at all. I definitely second the feedback to tell your team what's worrying you -- they have probably heard everything so they know how to adjust and adapt to make you comfortable!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

jdekost81
on 2/15/19 8:36 pm
VSG on 04/05/19

I had my scope a month ago and I was freaked about it too, but it was a breeze! I checked in, gown, then they whisked me back and before i knew it i was out and then next thing i knew i was waking up. My throat was a little bit sore later in the day and I was TIRED from the anesthesia that night but otherwise super easy!

Good luck to you! I have finished my requirements and I'm waiting on insurance to green light me. :)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/16/19 8:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had RNY, so I really can't comment about the scope.

About the support group. I made a commitment to myself to go to 10 support group meetings a year and, in addition to this website, it has helped. Also, after the first 6-mo post WLS, you will (if all goes well) see you surgeon less frequently. When I go to Supp Gr, I weigh in on the 'official dr scale' and get a body printout. I do not get charged, the nurse just let me get on the scale. I suggest that you might consider at least this step once a month, even if you do not get to the meetings. When I had some health issues and fought regain, all those little slips helped my endocrinologist treat me.

Time goes along, either your schedule or the Supp Group time may change. Also, check into any areas if you travel - search for Open Meetings. Once, when I traveled to Texas, my schedule permitted me to attend a monthly SG at Dr Now's office (of 600 pound life). The Nuit ran the meeting, so no Dr Now, but it was a normal support group.

I live in a well-populated area so there are several SGs to go to and maintain anonymity, not so sure about the 'small town part.'

Best wishes on your WL journey.

Sharon

axmxb546
on 2/17/19 10:42 am

Thank you all for the kind advice and experience! I will definitely talk to the team about my scope worries. I plan on using this site frequently, and hopefully one day I can help newcomers like myself. That is a great idea about check for other open support group meetings. I will check into that! I'm working on my diet right now, and luckily I have free access to a medical scales when I work! I'll have to make a commitment to start weighing myself before I clock in on the weekends. Since I've gained in the program I have been avoiding scales, but I know I need to make sure I'm on the right track before next months appointment.

Thank you all again!

Amanda

Most Active