chew and spit food

hollymom4
on 2/15/19 1:51 pm - joseph, OR

hi, im going crazy for some good tasting food .i wondered if anyone has chewed thier food and spit it out,consumming nothing but the taste.any info about it is great.

Gwen M.
on 2/15/19 2:39 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hey - are you working with a therapist? This whole WLS is really challenging and working with a therapist can help. Chewing and spitting food can be a sign of disordered eating - not something you want to dabble with.

Try experimenting with things you can have - savory broth, sugar free popsicles, yogurt/cottage cheese/ricotta cheese with spices if you're allowed. And please talk about this desire with your therapist.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ChristineB
on 2/15/19 5:15 pm, edited 2/15/19 9:17 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On February 15, 2019 at 9:51 PM Pacific Time, hollymom4 wrote:

hi, im going crazy for some good tasting food .i wondered if anyone has chewed thier food and spit it out,consumming nothing but the taste.any info about it is great.

This is dangerous territory to start doing. Read and reread what Gwen wrote.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/17/19 12:24 pm

Bad idea. Really bad idea. Chewing and spitting is an recognized eating disorder.

If I want to try something, I may have a small bite. One small bite. Very small bite. Chewing slowly and enjoying the one small bite. Where surprised me was that often the smell of food I wanted was much more promising that the actual bite. Some of my memories about how some food should taste - became just wishful memory. As I am discovering, since I am used to a complete new way of eating, some food don't taste as good as I remember it should taste.

The only few times I chewed and spit it was because:

• by the time I finished chewing I realized that I am getting uncomfortably full, and that one bite is at least bite too many.
  • as I was chewing the food I realized that there may be something wrong with it - either tastes lots of sugar or noticed corn in it, or the food tasted as it was beginning to go bad (spoiled)
  • I grabbed something mindlessly, and as I was chewing it, realized that.
  • I really wanted to have a bite of something not good for me, then I realized it doesn't even taste good, or not as good as I remember, and decided that I no longer wanted that.
  • Last but not least - sampling something either at home or in a store (Costco) and not really liking it. I no longer just eat something that is neither good for me nor taste good.

Read about the disorder. Get counceling, therapy.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Janet P.
on 2/18/19 10:12 am
On February 15, 2019 at 9:51 PM Pacific Time, hollymom4 wrote:

Why? Are you post-op? What procedure did you have? How far out are you?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ShanaC
on 2/18/19 4:02 pm - Cleveland, OH

I've never done that... though I know how you feel about wanting a good taste in your mouth. For me, it isn't food (I still have zero interest in all foods); it's drinks. I have been having troubles keeping down all liquids (doctor's appointment Wed.) so with that frustration I resorted to trying diet soda (Diet Mtn Dew & Coke Zero Sugar). So nasty probably from the aspartame (I only drank regular soda before anyway). I think I just got frustrated because plain water and even most sugar free drink mixes wouldn't stay down so I resorted to trying whatever. I hope things get better for you. I've got some warm chamomile tea I'm sipping on now. Hopefully it stays down this time. Wishing you the best.

Jan. 22, 2019 had RNY surgery. Please send positive thoughts and prayers my way. Thanks!

Height 5'10" / HW 330 / CW 295

hollymom4
on 2/18/19 5:55 pm - joseph, OR

MY SURGERY DATE WAS JAN 16TH SO WE ARE KINDA GOING THROUGH THIS TOGATHER.I WAS A DRINK LOVER TOO,FROZEN COFFEE,SLUSHY DRINKS FRIUT PUNCH.I FEEL YA BUT I HAVE TO REMEMBER HELLO YOU JUST HAD SURGERY TO HELP YOU !!! IM GONNA MAKE IT AND SO ARE YOU !!

ShanaC
on 2/18/19 6:29 pm - Cleveland, OH

Yep! I definitely was (still am) a lover of drinks... especially water or tea. I would guzzle it. It's so frustrating that now after 3 or 4 sips I puke. I sometimes have moments where I can drink for 30 minutes & it'll stay down. So glad my appt is Wed. My doc thinks I have a stricture & it's easily fixed. I hope that's it. Nothing worse. What have you done about wanting a good taste in your mouth? Broths?

Jan. 22, 2019 had RNY surgery. Please send positive thoughts and prayers my way. Thanks!

Height 5'10" / HW 330 / CW 295

DonRobbie
on 2/24/19 3:18 am
DS on 12/18/18

I have spat out the mouthful of food I was chewing before when I realized I was overdoing it and my sleeve was saying "whoa!" (the feeling of fullness always runs on a bit of a lag). It was better than sending more down when I was already starting to feel uncomfortably full. In my experience it's not a great experience.

The preop and postop diet sucks. There's no two ways about it. But it sucks for a month or two. Give your body the time it needs.

hollymom4
on 3/11/19 4:50 pm - joseph, OR

thank you for sharing your story with that.