skin issues

dreamer1234
on 2/17/19 2:59 pm

i have lost 105 lbs in 5 months since my surgery and am having skin issues mainly loose skin, peeling skin and rashes. what do you do about it? does medicare cover cosmetic surgery if skin issues are involved? i tried to talk to my primary care doc but he doesn't seem to know alot about weight loss surgery. i have heard that you have to just deal with all the loose skin but is that true? my surgeons nurse is really sweet and helpful and so should i try and talk to her about this? i would appreciate any help. thank you

Pure_Prairie
on 2/17/19 3:14 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

Absolutely! My surgeon's nurse is amazing as well, any questions I have I call or e mail and she never hesitates to answer OR to get me an answer if she isn't sure.

I think my surgeon's office has a relationship with a plastic surgeon so they can work together to assist patients. My nurse has mentioned it because I have some sagging skin and a really ugly c - section scar from an incision that didn't heal right 14 years ago. I want to wait and see before I decide anything big.

WTG on 105 lbs!!! Sounds like you are doing a great job. Best wishes.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

catwoman7
on 2/18/19 4:51 am
RNY on 06/03/15

some insurance policies will cover it - or some of it - if there are well-documented skin problems, like recurrent rashes, that can't be controlled otherwise. See your PCP about them so you'll have documentation of the skin problems in your medical record. I don't know if Medicare is one of those plans that will cover it if you have documented problems are not, though - maybe someone who knows will respond. Or check for a customer service number for your policy and give them a call.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Janet P.
on 2/18/19 10:11 am

Once you have lost all the weight you want to lose and have been at your goal weight for at least a year, go talk to a plastic surgeon, but make sure they specialize (or at least have experience) working on bariatric patients (we're much different than someone who wants a TT to get rid of the baby stretches).

I don't know about Medicare, but my private insurance paid for my tummy tuck. The plastic surgeon will have to document why it is a medical procedure and not cosmetic. It's completely up to your insurance as to whether they will pay.

You really need to be at goal weight for at least a year before you even consider plastics.

Great work - 100 pounds in 5 months!!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/18/19 12:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Everyone's insurance situation is different. Call the customer service number on the back of your Medicare card and see what their coverage is. Some plans flat-out exclude plastic surgery for any reason, others will pay if it's decided to be "medically necessary" with documentation.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!