Burnout

Ajeffries
on 3/25/19 6:54 am
VSG on 01/27/16

How do you deal with burnout? I have tracked my food religiously for 1146 days on my fitness pal. I quit measuring my food and do it intermittently just to make sure I'm still accurate when I portion my food. I was eating 2200 calories a day and staying at 170lbs. I'm eating 2700 to 2900 calories a day and I'm staying at 180 lbs. I'm tired of tracking. I'm tired of weighing myself daily. I quit going to the gym and took an office job that is way less physical than my previous job. I am just over the whole weight loss struggle. How do you get your mojo back? How do you get the desire back to eat healthier?

Ajeffries
on 3/25/19 6:55 am
VSG on 01/27/16

I am 3 yrs and 3 months out from my VSG.

Gwen M.
on 3/25/19 7:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you feeling burnt out about everything? Or just health?

I know I'm a broken record about this, but are you seeing a therapist? This is definitely something worth talking about with your therapist.

It might be a good time to find new activities. Try out some new active hobbies. Join a club for something that sounds interesting, try a new fitness class you've never done before, maybe a walking group or a running group. Volunteer to walk dogs at the local SPCA.

Maybe work with a dietitian to figure out meals. I'm five years out and eating close to 3000 calories a day seems really high to me.

I don't think the world will end if you stop weighing every day, although I do know that when I stop weighing I get into this scale-avoidance cycle that's not positive.

Maybe it would help to spend some time in your brain and think about everything you've gained from your weight loss so far and about what you hope to gain from losing more weight. Will the world end if you maintain at 180 for the rest of your life?

It can definitely be hard to maintain focus on something for so long, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the work of a lifetime. :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ajeffries
on 3/25/19 4:09 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Honestly, I think I'm burned out on everything. I just feel joyless and purposeless. I don't like my job but the hours work for my kids. I am raising them alone. I was going to therapy but can no longer afford it .

Gwen M.
on 3/25/19 4:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm really sorry. It might be worthwhile talking with your PCP about how you're feeling, even if therapy isn't an option for you right now.

I know that it's easier said than done, but do you have a way to add something to your life that's just for you - not for your kids, not to make money, just something that brings you joy? Figuring out what that might be might be part of the challenge, but it might be a place you can start to help to move forward?

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Ajeffries
on 3/25/19 4:21 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

I like hiking in the woods. I've been working 2 jobs. Hopefully as the weather warms up and I quit working 2 jobs, I can start hiking more. I do need to do something I enjoy. That might snap me out of my funk.

Gwen M.
on 3/25/19 4:24 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That sounds like a really wonderful plan!

This probably sounds ridiculous, but I've read/heard a number of stories from different sources and podcasts about an app called "Woebot." I'm not sure it's a therapy substitute, but it might be worth checking out. :)

Ajeffries
on 3/25/19 4:53 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Great. Thanks I'll check that out!

PrivateCitizen
on 3/25/19 11:40 pm

Walking in mud, on dirt paths, in rain in the redwoods, local forests is one of the best reasons I keep living where I do. (despite many drawbacks) I hope you can get out and do this too!

This is a bit wordy, sorry for that , please read it if you can._______

As I saw your post I thought immediately of a woman who came daily to the local gym and worked out only at noon. She was lean, and mean faced, and NEVER said a word or even looked at anyone to me, a fat lady trying to maintain some self esteem among fit people.

I will say I disliked her for not being in any way approachable, or ever say anything, while staring into the same mirror two feet apart as we prepped or dressed, even when courtesy of closeness meant saying 'excuse me' or hello, or anything.

One day I said "How is your day going?" Expecting a snarl or to be sneered at. But she heaved a great sigh, and indicated she was holding up, under stress. We chatted a tiny bit. Turns out not only did she get pregnant in her 30s with a man who was worthless at staying around, she had a 2 year old son who was a holy terror, a boy she was raising all alone, her ONLY time for herself, even thin as a rail, was that time in the gym.. probably kept her from strangling the boy, or abandoning him to an orphanage and running away. She ALSO had a job she disliked, but chose to grit it out there for the money, and the time to have that much time free.

She told me some the life details, and I was happy she could unburden herself, maybe no one else ever said anything to her either.

My heart really warmed to her, we never know what others are bearing, alone. She sees only years of being 'the responsible one', the one who can only depend on herself 24/7. BUT she found something she liked, or that de-stressed her enough to keep going. She finally smiled a little, and turned and headed out. I admired her strength....

AND I admire yours, to KEEP seeking a way to get help here or whoever you can, when needed, or discover ways to keep the POSITIVE you worked hard to achieve!!! We ALL need a bit of breathing space, maybe seeing this 'funk' as a short term 'holding pattern'- just going thru the motions as you must, and stay in the game. I know you don't want to give up, you won't let yourself..just accepting you can't fix everything all at once. And start each day with one small goal, whatever it is, plan the exercise you want to do, and look forward to doing it daily!

Wishing you the best going forward.

dreamer1234
on 3/31/19 3:05 pm

i know therapy can be expensive but do you live close to a university? lots of schools have free counseling that is supervised and is very good. also mental health centers and county health depts have counseling on a sliding scale. good luck

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1076 views