Weight loss in life before any part of surgery comparison to after surgery

Amy R.
on 4/5/19 1:14 pm

I knew it was you - thus the winky face!

Seriously though, I tuck a lot of the stuff you (and others) say away for my rough spots so thank you.

I've actually used all of these depending on the cir****tances. "I'm allergic to cake" is a much better way of ending a conversation with a food pusher that what I generally have going around in my head about then.

catwoman7
on 4/4/19 6:42 am
RNY on 06/03/15

faster. As others have said, weight loss slows WAY down after the first few months, but then, when doing it on my own (pre-WLS), I was never able to follow a plan for more than a few months. I'd plateau after losing 50-60 lbs, and then the weight would gradually come back on. With WLS, I've been able to take off all my excess weight and keep it off (at least so far!)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Thea7777
on 4/5/19 3:55 am

That's how I've been as well, I could follow a plan but only for a few months. I like to hear about people like you that had the same struggles and have been able to stay on course for a long time

Janet P.
on 4/4/19 10:10 am

For me it was definitely faster. Also it was all about changing my mindset once I had WLS. I was 100% committed to making sure I was successful. I didn't risk my life having WLS to have it fail (for me failure meant that I did not reach goal weight and maintain that weight loss long term, which is something that I was never able to do).

Also to help me be successful with WLS I also was in therapy to understand the "why". I feel that the combination helped me succeed (I've been at my goal weight for almost 14 years).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Thea7777
on 4/5/19 3:53 am

That's great that you've been at your goal weight for so long. I've heard that maintenance is the hard part really.

Thea7777
on 4/5/19 4:08 am

I am going to start therapy as well, just so I can try to understand the why as well and create good coping skills. I have the same mindset as well - I'm not going to do something so life changing and have it not work for me in the long run!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/4/19 12:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

In the first month or so after surgery, it's very common to lose a lot of weight very quickly. People can lose 20lb in a few weeks, especially if they're at a higher starting weight.

After that, it's slow and steady, a pound or two every wee****il reaching goal. And it's that consistency that ultimately allows folks to get to their goal weight.

It is absolutely possible to self-sabotage after WLS, even in the early stages. You still need to follow a specific diet plan and limit your calories. If you get fed up with your program and start eating ice cream, you will not lose weight. Once your pouch/sleeve is healed, many folks are physically capable of eating junk food, and that's a recipe for significant regain.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Thea7777
on 4/5/19 4:12 am

I can't imagine losing so fast! I guess I will see when we get there. I'm not so worried about the junk food as the size of the pouch - my biggest eating issue really is the AMOUNT of food I want to eat (and can eat). Turns out I shouldn't eat as much as my guy who is 6'7" and works outside all day

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/6/19 6:29 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I lost a lot of weight and got to goal several times prior to WLS (and gained it back plus more each time). I think my weight loss after WLS was faster, but my calories were also way lower for the first 4-6 months than on previous "diets". However there definitely was a metabolism effect as well because I lost almost 10 pounds more than my goal weight. Some of those extra pounds were lost at the same calorie level I maintain at with more activity now at 3 years post-op. The first 2 years were pretty easy, then my metabolism seemed to shift back to what it used to be. BUT I can still keep it under control much better with my "tool". I have VSG btw and never any dumping though I still will feel queasy if I eat too much of anything too sweet.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Thea7777
on 4/6/19 8:24 am

That's really cool about the metabolism effect you experienced. I hope I have the same!

Most Active