Weekly Cooking and Recipes: April 22-28

Gwen M.
on 4/18/19 9:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For the reasoning behind this post, please check out the first one -- https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6039883/Recipes-and-Weekly-Meal-Plans-April-8-April-14/

Please include recipes - either the text of the recipe or a link to the recipe. If the recipe comes from a source other than your brain, please let us know the source.

I'm planning meals and posting today because I have a procedure tomorrow and I don't know how functional I'll be afterward!

---

Monday - FFS (Fend For Self)
Lance has a six hour interview, so who knows when we'll be home from that.

Tuesday - moo shu pork (with chicken instead)
I had planned this for this week, but ended up not cooking that night because there was a lot of food in the fridge already.

Wednesday - rabbit stew (recipe below)
This is part of Mission: Clean Out the Freezer. I made this for a cookbook club a while back, so I'll just plonk the frozen block of stew into the slow cooker.

Thursday - mom's mac and cheese casserole (with added ham from the freezer)
This is Art's mom's recipe for mac and cheese. It's not my favorite but Art has fond memories of it. Since I'll be out of town for most of Friday and Saturday, I figure it's a good time to make it! I'll be cubing up some ham that's currently in the freezer to add to it and make it a better meal.

Friday - FFS
Lance and I will be out of town due to Ragnar.

Saturday - Out
We'll be getting home at some point on Saturday and it's tradition for Art to acquire food for the triumphant runner(s)' return.

Sunday - slow roasted eye round roast, horseradish cream sauce, roasted veg
I've got an eye round in the freezer. I assume I bought it on sale. This is my favorite, and super easy, way to cook the cut!

---

Spring Rabbit Stew from The Immigrant Cookbook: Recipes That Make America Great

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 rabbit legs (2 lb / 1 kg in total)
salt and ground black pepper
3 oz (85 g) ventrèche or pancetta, diced
1 shallot, diced
1 leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup (240 ml) dry white wine
2 1/2 cups (600 ml) chicken stock
1 bay leaf
3 fresh thyme sprigs
8 oz (225 g) organic hon himeji (or fresh shiitake) mushrooms, trimmed
12 fingerling potatoes (about 1 lb / 450 g), halved
1 cup (4 oz / 115 g) green peas (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup (4 oz / 115 g) crème fraîche
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon

Directions
In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the rabbit with salt and pepper, and brown the meat until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the ventrèche or pancetta and sautÃ****il browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon (leaving the rendered fat) and set aside on paper towels to drain.

Lower the heat to medium and add the shallot, leek, and garlic; sautÃ****il shallot pieces are translucent and the leek slices have softened. Add the carrot and celery, and sauté for about 3 minutes more. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables in the pan, stirring to coat, and continue to coo****il the flour turns golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the pan to medium-high heat.

Stir in the wine, scrapping up any browned bits, and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken stock, and add the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. When mixture comes to a simmer, lower the heat to medium-low and return the rabbit to the pan. Add the mushrooms and potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes, then add the fresh peas (if using frozen you will add these later). Cover and continue to coo****il rabbit is tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes more.

Remove the rabbit pieces and set aside. Discard the bay lead and thyme stems. Increase the heat to high and reduce the sauce until it thickens. Remove from the heat, stir in the crème fraîche and Dijon mustard, and season to taste with salt and pepper. At this point, you can shred the rabbit meat, discarding the bones, or leave it as it is. Return the rabbit to the sauce, add the peas (if using frozen), and return to medium heat to heat through, if necessary. Top with the parsley and tarragon and serve.

---

What are you cooking?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Partlypollyanna
on 4/18/19 1:22 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

A six hour interview is tough but hoping it goes well!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Gwen M.
on 4/18/19 2:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I know, right? It's basically "interview with every department you'll be working with." Yikes.

Thanks for the well wishes :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active