Went from not wanting to do this to now very excited in the space of two days

Vanvooh
on 4/24/19 9:31 am

Hello,

Like everyone else here, my road has been a long one. But after a few years of deteriorating health including a heart attack at age 45 and being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes and being on 4 medications just for that, my family, my pcp and close friends are really concerned that I will not be around much longer. Add to that, the deaths of my father, brother in law and now most recently brother ( who died very young at age 40) all in the space of 2.5 years, the pressure on me to do something about my health is at fever pitch- no one wants to face another death and they love and want me around very much so.

So I started the process of getting approved for this surgery this week. First question the Nurse P asked me was what are my thoughts/feelings about this surgery. I told her I was not crazy about the idea and we discussed this for a while longer. She said my head was not ready for this and lets take another route but at the same time take the steps needed so that I can have the surgery. So I went to schedule the next steps with the surgeon's office to go through all their requirements ( and their appointments are booking out 3-4 months or more) and it just so happened that I was able to get in with their nutritionists the next day !

More good news- talked to the insurance company and I already have fulfilled the 6 month requirement ! This seems to be on the fast track and meant to be! Just thought I would share

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/24/19 10:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's great that you're able to get your surgery quickly, but PLEASE make sure to do the emotional work required to be successful after surgery. We say around here that "surgery fixes your stomach, not your head." If you don't address the emotions behind your disordered eating patterns, you will not be successful in the long term.

Good luck!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheWombat
on 4/24/19 11:07 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I second this! If you can, I'd postpone the surgery for a couple of months. That will give you a chance to 1) be absolutely sure that surgery is right for you; 2) identify what your triggers for overeating are, and have a plan for what to do after surgery when those triggers happen; and 3) see a counselor once to identify any emotional issues behind your eating.

But, Yay! Wonderful news.

Kathy S.
on 4/24/19 12:09 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

WE are all so excited for you but take it from those of us that have been around as long as dirt "you need to get it right between the ears before re-arranging your plumbing ". Those that hit goal and keep it off for life are those that did the head work. If you take the extra time it will pay off big time for you

Bariatric Surgery: Mental Health Preparedness is Important

We are here for you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Vanvooh
on 4/24/19 12:23 pm

Yes Thank you. I did discuss this with the Nurse @ my surgeon's office. I should mention that I had gone all the way through this process three years ago up to having a surgery date scheduled and full approval from my insurance company. I cancelled it at that time. Now I have a different attitude because of the heart attack and my diabetes and all the medicine that I am on. This is more about health and preventing any further events than anything else.

Cris1976
on 4/26/19 6:47 pm

I take cirurgy and regrets.

My mental health is so bad.

Think about the time necessary. Is an big decision.

You ever be a bariatric with restritions.

Not is easy.

The devision is you, not of your family.

If you decide take cirurgy, search limitations, early and tardial complications. Not is a automatic change for health.

I hope help you.

Most Active