Weigh in - State lawmaker wants to ban people from using food stamps to buy junk food

Valerie G.
on 5/16/19 8:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Canning and preserving are becoming a lost art, do PLEASE teach your granddaughter about that and cooking from scratch, too. In an environment of abundance, people think they have to get side dishes out of a box or pouch to feed their family. It was when my son was trying to figure out what to do with plain rice stored in a jar with no directions and with no seasoning that I learned things were missing from today's way of life.

I grew up in the burbs, and back in 2013 moved off-grid in the forest and am learning many skills I never did growing up. Hubs and I bought a few acres of raw land with no utilities, built a cabin a little at a time with cash on hand (no debt) and with limited power from my solar and batteries, I learned ways to preserve food without an abundance of refrigeration (my propane fridge is smaller than average). Canning is my favorite method, for the end result is extremely convenient! I do a lot through the winter when I'm making soups and beans. The pressure canner stays on the stove and I'll put the leftovers in jars and run it while cleaning up or watching a movie. Then in the warmer months, I have wonderful heat and eat meal ready in 5 minutes without even a microwave.

No, we are not wealthy (as one poster said we must be so "blessed"). We decreased our needs instead of continuously scrapping to make more income to keep up. (we learned that the more we made, the more we needed). After a few years, we both enjoy working only part-time and live a peaceful life with plenty of time enjoying each other. I only wish I didn't wait until my 40s to make such changes. SO many things could have been easier.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ladygodiva1228
on 5/16/19 8:52 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I want to add that smoking and dehydrating stuff is also wonderful. I dehydrate 50lbs of garlic a year to make garlic powder and minced garlic. I also dehydrate herbs.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/26/19 1:52 pm - Burleson, TX

I can see me doing it as a "hobby". I bought some stuff for "porch tomatoes", and some herbs. No way am I cut out for "living off the grid". I've never lived out in the country, and just have no desire to start now. But, I DO like the satisfaction of digging in the dirt

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Partlypollyanna
on 5/16/19 5:12 am
RNY on 02/14/18

It actually is a "big deal" if you live in a food desert (no farmers markets there); if you are working multiple jobs and raising a family, even the time to water a plant on a regular basis can be challenging - and not every apartment comes with a place to put said plant. It's not just "stepping off the hamster wheel" that helps people get perspective -- it's remembering that not everyone has the same opportunities and options as everyone else but are still trying to do the best they can.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/26/19 1:55 pm - Burleson, TX

You know that saying "it takes a REALLY mean person, to be able to kill an ivy plant"?

I plead Guilty

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Haley_Martinez
on 5/16/19 6:05 am
RNY on 05/03/18

See my response to H.A.L.A.B

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/16/19 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Gardening and pressure canning require supplies and time, which many of the working poor do not have. Someone working two jobs to make ends meet and caring for a family isn't going to have the time for that, nor are they likely to be available to attend the limited hours in which a farmer's market is open.

Funny that you're telling someone to "step off their hamster wheel" when your comments are heavily privileged.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NHPOD9
on 5/17/19 1:48 pm

Maybe it is due to the region of New England that I live in, but Farmer's Markets are not the location for finding cheap produce. The exact opposite, actually. I can find much cheaper produce at Walmart (45 minutes away), but the taste and quality is then subpar. So, if the only fresh produce people can access in my region is the farmer's market, they are going to go without.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

The Salty Hag
on 5/17/19 7:07 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Here too. ( and it looks like I'm only a state over from the homesteader who shall not be named ). The farmer's markets around here are mostly for hipsters and "crunchy woke mamas" (cringe). It's all artisanal this and small batch that, and the produce certainly isn't less expensive than the grocery stores.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/16/19 5:43 am

Haley, with a limited budget person need to find creative ways to start incorporating better choices. And I get your frustrations. I use to be o a limited budget for years, and it took time, money and energy to start more healthy, home cooked meals.

The initial investment into kitchen appliances can be very challenging. But it can be done. One of my best investments was to buy a high quality pressure cooker. I literally can just toss simple ingredients into my instant pot. Close the lid go about my house chores. Coming back to it 45 min later, no babysitting hot pot in the stove, just open and serve. Chicken plus veggies, almost any veggies, can make a simple, very good meal. I often can just roughly chop my "older wrinkled" veggies, add any veggies from leftovers, etc. and have a great meal.

It takes time, know-how to, effort, and initial investment. But long term is worth. Plus you would teach your child by example.

Don't think why you can't do something. Start thinking how you can make it happen. One step at a time. You are smart, don't put "I can't do that", the can't limits what you really can do.

At the same time, we still enjoy take outs. Once every 2-3 weeks I stop and get Chinese. I opt for larger size because I get more meals from that. I don't eat rice, but my guy does, but not a lot per serving. I often pack the rice in individual servings in ziplock bags. When we have a homemade cooked meal that calls for rice, I take one serving and warm it out for him. Fast food - not junk food. I know his much we could eat in 2 days, I pack the rest and label it and toss into freezer.

Before I saved enough to be able to afford big, ice-free standing freezer, I bough s used one for less than 100, and fed my friend who offer to help me get it to my place. That thing paid for itself in no time. As far as I know, a friend who got it from me for $50 still enjoy it and the extra freezer space that gave her.

Think outside the box. You are smart.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views