Who Motivated You To Get Surgery?

Kathy S.
on 5/21/19 4:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I had a friend that attended a conference this weekend because one of the speakers (Carnie Wilson) was the reason she had surgery 16 years ago and has kept it off. She was waffling about having it and when she saw her lose the weight it made her believe she could do it too. Carnie has struggled through the years with regain and transfer addiction.

Myself, it was my PCP of over 25 years. She really cared and after trying everything with me to lose weight she kept telling me I would be dead in 5 years if I didn't have the surgery. Since both parents died in their early 50's and I was pushing 50 it scared the crap out of me

Was there someone in your life that helped you tip the scales to the decision to have surgery? Or was it all YOU?

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

catwoman7
on 5/20/19 5:28 am
RNY on 06/03/15

It was mostly me. I'd kicked the idea around for about 10 years, but when my PCP started recommending it (about three years before I actually took the plunge), I knew I was on the right track...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Kathy S.
on 5/20/19 5:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You were listening to your inner voice.

I was in denial until I saw a photo of me on a cruise. Trust me, I hid from camera's. My PCP and I tried every pill, shot, diet plan there was and it just didn't click. When she first mentioned it I was like are you nuts She was right......

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/19 5:50 am

I was sick and tired of being fat, sick and tired. I was in a pre- menopause and losing weight was close to imposible. Adding back pain, and meds I needed that made me hungry, made losing weight and keeping it off extremely difficult.

A few years before that I started researching WLS found too many negative issues. So I never went with that. But at some point, I had to face the truth, without serious intervention I couldn't maintain weight loss even after I got to a goal.

Talking with my gyno, she told me about her mother, 12 year my senior getting RNY and doing great. And she really like the doctor that operated on her mother. She did a referral for me (I didn't have PCP at that time - never needed one) and I started the journey in January. In May I had the surgery. I was self paid.

This time I didn't read about the negatives. I knew I had to do something drastic to lose weight and have some chances to keep it off. I never expected to get as low as I did. But I was adamant that I would keep it off. And I did most of my post op life.

BTW - my goal was not a weight but a size - size 12 or below. That goal, better than that goal I reached at 5 months post op, kept for the whole time since then. Even when I gained some back, I never got to size 12. The larger I ever got with my regain was size 10. And that was with 30 lbs extra.

I have issues, some severe. And if I know then what I know now, I would never had RNY.

But it is done. No point "crying over spilled milk". I move forward. I do the best I can with the cards I was dealt.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 5/20/19 6:22 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thanks for sharing and you are right.... by the time I was considering surgery my body said it was pay back time. I think for most of us when we hit our 40's it's time to pay the piper. Everything started to go downhill at the same time. Diabetes, high BP, knees, back. Barely could walk....

I love you had a size not a number on the scale. That can drive you nuts sometimes. Sorry for what you are going through H.A.L.A.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/20/19 6:14 am - Burleson, TX

It was Carnie, for me, also. I watched her surgery, via the internet, on my DIAL UP AOL:), in 1999. It took me a few years, to jump the necessary hoops, but she was my inspiration!

I SO want to sit down, and have a heart-to-heart, with her now, and tell her she CAN lose that regain, one and FOR ALL, but she has to REALLY WANT TO!!! She already had that silly BOB procedure...so much for that...

But...the MAIN reasons I rearranged my guts, were named Corbin and Chris. They were 10 and 12, at the time

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kathy S.
on 5/20/19 6:25 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You look so GREAT My friend said she talked about dealing with transfer addiction right now, alcohol. LOL and I guess she has a colorful tongue. Dropped the f bomb a lot, but she is real and that is what counts. I hate people that come across phony

I did the dial up too

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, mine are Gavin, Logan and Sierra

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/22/19 5:30 am - Burleson, TX

Obviously, I don't know Carnie, IRL, but having read both her books, and "followed" her, for many years, I have to call BS on her "transfer addiction" claim. In HER case, she spoke of YEARS of various substance abuse PRE-op (in her first book)...

I DO know that transfer addiction is a very REAL thing, and I ABSOLUTELY am not flaming Carnie. I would just sincerely like her to take control, lose her regain, and be a model for her daughters. A few years ago I saw a TV program, where she was feeding her girls lunch. Her oldest daughter was already larger, than average, and Carnie was fixing a lunch of boxed mac n cheese and toast...for lunch...I cringed...Having been "the fat kid", I was probably putting all my old feelings, on that child...

RNY 4-22-02...

We Can Do Hard Things

VSGAnn2014
on 5/22/19 11:36 am
VSG on 08/14/14

And then there are "Love Bites by Carnie":

https://lovebitesbycarnie.com/

"I love sweet treats, and creating Love Bites was a way for me to enjoy desserts without eating full-size portions of them. Moderation is a wonderful goal!" - Carnie Wilson

Yes, moderation IS a wonderful goal.

Trouble is, those suckers come in boxes of 24.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/23/19 4:05 am - Burleson, TX

Wwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyy did I hit the link"

I'm pretty sure "portion control" doesn't mean eating the whole box....I know ME...I would keep going bac****il they were ALL gone...couldn't waste money, ya know!!!

The trouble with "bites" is that I can pop a bite in my mouth, and think I am "hiding" it. Like eating cookies in the bathroom, or cake in the closet. BTDT. got the stretch marks. NO need to set myself up for failure now

RNY 4-22-02...

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1324 views