BMI Charts

btm61
on 6/8/19 5:44 pm

That article says exactly what I said, that BMI's aren't accurate.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/8/19 6:13 pm, edited 6/8/19 11:14 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That's really not the conclusion of the scientific journals that Wikipedia refers to.

BMI is accurate for 86 percent of men, and 88 percent of women. And where it is off, it is not off by a lot.

If your BMI from the chart is 20 to 25, it says you are in the healthy range. But some of those will have an unhealthy low, or high, body fat percentage.

If your BMI is 25 to 30, the charts put you at overweight -- not obese. 12 to 16 percent of these people can still have healthy body fat percentages.

The healthy UPPER limit for body fat percentages is 25 percent for men, and 35 percent for women.

If your BMI is over 30, the charts say you are obese. A very small percentage of those have a healthy body fat percentage. None with a BMI over 35 do.

Nobody is saying BMI charts are accurate. No one. It is simply a quick measure, a guideline, and not a medical diagnosis.

But you seem to have shifted your argument from "BMI has been rigged by the government" to simply saying they are inaccurate. Which they are. But they are only a little inaccurate.

And every single one of those scientific studies that measure body fat use actual, reliable medical tools. Not a single one used calipers, because they are less than worthless.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

btm61
on 6/9/19 1:57 am

Grim, So at 5-9 if I weigh 210 pounds with 15% body fat am I obese or not? The chart says so, and so do others, including yourself, who have responded on this thread, and I'm guessing that's true because their medical "professional" says so.

By the way, that wiki article that you claim to have read also clearly states the the Feds did realign the chart downward in 1998, but that isn't the reason the chart is inaccurate.

One more thing, say what you want about calipers, but I was first measured with a caliper in 1984, and I've used other methods since, and they all reached the same conclusion regarding my body fat and "ideal weight range." What every article I did read on the subject says is that calipers, if used by people who don't know what they are doing, are terrible, but then I'm guessing you could make that statement about anything used by anybody in any profession. Right?

Grim_Traveller
on 6/9/19 2:13 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Professional women athletes have body fat percentages of 15 percent. Tv and movie actresses have body fat percentages of 20 to 25 percent.

At 5-9 and 210 pounds, you would not gave a body fat percentage of 15 percent. You would be obese. You can tell yourself anything you want, but you would be deluding yourself. Your bones are not made of steel. You are not rippling with muscle. You would be obese.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

btm61
on 6/9/19 5:22 am

Grimm, The Exercise Physiologist that I work with just competed at a National Bodybuilding competition and her body fat was 8% at the time of competition and she was at about 20% prior to her training for the competition. She is beginning to back off of her regimented diet but it will be a slow change. It's interesting to me how many folks on this forum, including yourself Grimm, who don't even know me can so completely diagnose my situation, in fact you are so smart that you think I'm a woman when I'm actually a male. It takes a lot of arrogance to make the statement you just made, and that is the problem with the quackery surrounding this whole issue of fitness and nutrition. It is also the problem that comes with putting your faith in medical professionals whose sole intent is to line their pockets. What makes my situation different? Last summer I was informed by the professionals at our clinic that I was a strong candidate for WLS but I told them I had no desire to have the procedure because for me this journey is about learning healthy habits in both eating and exercise. Not one of them argued with me or tried to "force" me into WLS. I have lost 100 pounds so far, with plenty more to go.

I have actually increased my muscle mass since I joined with our Exercise Physiologist and her customized program. I know you will attempt to discount it because it's "impossible" for a person 57 years of age to gain muscle mass according to the doctors you have worked with or, more likely, some website that you have found. I just provided you with a website, the CDC no less, that clearly states the the BMI is NOT to be used to determine the obesity or fitness of a person, but as is more and more common in this country, facts mean nothing to you because what you have chosen to believe, wrong though it might be.

How about this, you go ahead and believe what you want to believe, and I'll accept the advise and direction of Professionals who have a combined 50 years of working with the obese and a proven track record of long term success.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/9/19 7:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Please, do what you like. I'm now convinced you are nothing but a troll. An obtuse, obdurate troll.

6'3" tall, male.

btm61
on 6/9/19 9:44 am

How can I be a troll when I started this thread, and you have made the decision to dismiss my source (the CDC) solely because it doesn't fit your belief system. By definition, the only troll here is you, Grimm. Your responses to my posts are exactly what I expected when I posted my original comment. That makes me 100% accurate as opposed to the 88% correct that your dear BMI chart is, according to the wiki article posted earlier.

Amy R.
on 6/10/19 12:47 pm

Wait a minute. Is this the arithmetic-of-weight-loss guy?

btm. I hadn't seen much from you since last November I think. Way back when you mentioned you were asked to share your thoughts here on OH. Not sure who did the asking and I guess it's irrelevant anyway, but I'm curious. Did that same person ask for your thoughts on BMI?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/5/19 6:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/10/19 8:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Grim, don't bother wasting your time. I have this person blocked, I believe it's the same one who went off about how IF was so much better than us clueless sheep mutilating ourselves with WLS.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1373 views