Just getting started......

brendablake
on 6/12/19 12:09 pm - Carmi, il

Im in the process of completing all my requirements to get my surgery, Im a nervous wreck. I want this soooo bad!! Although im 99% sure my insurance will cover, it still seems to good to be true, Ive been wanting this for a long time and just now got a good insurance.

btm61
on 6/12/19 5:52 pm

Good luck and best wishes for a great outcome as you begin your journey.

Dcgirl
on 6/13/19 8:17 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Make sure you call your insurance and get ALL of the information. Mine was covered BUT no one at the insurance company mentioned that there was a $10,000 max. And I didn't read it in the small print. So I had surgery, and about a month later I received a $12,000 bill for the part that wasn't covered! Yes, seriously. My RNY was worth a million dollars to me, I know now, five and a half years later, but it was definitely shocking!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/19 6:45 am

Ouch. I can only imagine the shock. Ouch.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 6/16/19 10:32 am

Wow what a surprise that must have been! Yuk.

To the OP: Even if you're 99% sure your insurance has you taken care of, you might consider taking a few extra minutes to nail that down. I'd call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. If they confirm that yes, they do cover this, get it in writing. Insurance companies are notorious for either changing their policies and/or having newbies (that are still learning to interpret the 1,000,001 different plans and all of those details) man the phone.

You may never need it, but getting it in writing is a fail-safe. Because who knows what will happen between now and your surgery date.

Good luck and congrats on deciding to make this life changing experience.

KayLaw4170
on 6/16/19 11:44 am
VSG on 10/10/19

I am in the same boat! I've been wanting this surgery for a LONG time and now there's a very good chance I'll also be approved. I'm fulfilling insurance requirements (6months of supervised diet) among other things. If everything goes to plan I should be having surgery in early October:)

I have recently lost 10 pounds (since winter time) very slowly lol but I'm working out and dieting but it's a dang struggle! Where are you at as far as the requirements? Like how long must you wait? The waiting is by far the hardest thing because I just want it like now! But I know preparing for this life changing surgery is going to only be helping me in long run. You have to change your eating habits and nutrition completely as my dietician has been telling me. I have a good team of doctors through my hospital of choice and they seem to really help you and care. Also they are great at getting insurance approvals bc they know exactly what's needed etc.

Anyways I hope you're having a good experience with your doctor's and all.

brendablake
on 6/16/19 12:35 pm - Carmi, il

I have to loose 13lbs, once I do that he will schedule an upper endoscopy, once that come back I'm pretty sure he will summit my stuff to Insurance, but in the mean time I have to complete my 6 support classes, I'm the type I can't stand to wait so I kept at him about a surgery date, he said probably September or October of this year, I sure hope so because I have my deductible met already, I wish you good luck with urs and hope everything goes through alright.

KayLaw4170
on 6/18/19 12:51 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

You can do it! I'm waiting for October myself:) they haven't scheduled a definite date yet but Doctor also said most likely October. I've been dieting and exercising myself. It's tough but this will all be so worth the struggle!

Most Active