Surgeon may not be able to do laproscopic due to scar tissue from a Splenectomy I had 44 yrs...

califsleevin
on 6/17/19 6:01 pm - CA

It is pretty standard that we sign something going into surgery that we understand that while the procedure is expected to be laproscopic, that it they may have to be open if they run into something that interferes with the lap procedure. It's just a CYA (cover your a$$) thing that would eliminates the need for them to back out, wake you up and ask your permission to proceed open if they run into something unexpected.

Now, if the surgeon was planning from the outset to go open due to that prior surgery (without further investigation) that may be a yellow flag that their lap skills aren't up to others' and you may want to get a second opinion before proceeding. But, if it's just the normal CYA statement, then it shouldn't be a worry. (I signed such a paper, though I had no prior abdominal surgeries.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

jmk187
on 6/17/19 10:41 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

My surgeon told me that he would be making 3 small incisions for the VSG and if for some reason he could not perform the surgery laparoscopic, He was going to make 1 big long incision straight down and open me up.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1507 views