Keto and Roux-en-Y

Kim Meeks
on 7/13/19 3:02 pm - lubbock, TX

Thanks for posting links to those articles - how did you find them?

Lauren010110
on 7/19/19 11:25 am - Victorville, CA

Hi Kim,

I have found several helpful articles in the ObesityHelp Library... I simply did a search for "Keto" and found those...

www.ObesityHelp.com/articles

There are different articles several times a week by various professionals with regards to bariatrics!

The Salty Hag
on 6/17/19 5:13 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I basically just ate lean, dense protein, kept carbs at 30 g or less per day, kept calories to 1,100, and measured/weighed out my portions. A lot of times I only ate protein for a meal. The majority of my carb intake came from dairy.

I didn't shy away from fat while losing my regain, but I didn't add extra fats either, like a full ketogenic diet requires. Even now, 55% of my daily intake is from fat, so I think of my food plan as "keto-ish" . I use real butter and avocado oil for cooking, as well as whole milk, half and half, and cream. I eat whole milk ( and plain ) Greek yogurt, and full fat cheeses. I eat nuts, and I'm obsessed with good quality pork cracklings. That being said, if something is too rich (fatty) for me, I feel pretty yucky for about an hour afterwards, so it's a balancing act.

I surprised myself by not totally loving the full-fledged keto diet. I mean, it's right up my alley! Bacon and steak-together?? Yes, please! Heavy whipping cream in my coffee?? I'm there! I just can't do that much fat in a day. I tried it, and ooof...my pouch was not happy, so I modified things to suit my needs.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/17/19 6:02 am - Burleson, TX

I agree, 200% !!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kim Meeks
on 7/13/19 3:06 pm - lubbock, TX

Thanks so much for your reply

i appreciate your in put - thanks for taking the time to respond

Member Services
on 6/21/19 2:52 pm - Irvine, CA

I follow a ketogenic way of eating and am doing well with it. I don't have problems with the fat, since it is all good fat, but I do limit how much I will do in a day, so it is more modified than a straight forward keto way of eating. I keep my carbs below 20g and use avocado oil or coconut oil to cook, incorporate healthy fats in meals and it keeps me satisfied, so I don't graze. I am not even hungry at times (much like it was early post op). I'd try a more modified approach like the above, but track your foods and your progress so you can make changes if its not working out in the right direction.

Good luck

Hope3317
on 6/22/19 4:34 pm

I'm only a few years out from RNY, but I stay low carb and plan to continue. I don't add a lot of extra fat, but don't avoid it by choosing low fat products or recipes. I use full fat dairy and whole eggs. I am at goal (BMI 23) now, but I will continually be reevaluating this WOE, because I am very concerned about future regain. I keep wondering if regain is inevitable.

I don't care for erythritol either, so I've been experimenting with allulose. Tastes very much like sugar but does not raise my blood sugar at all, nor have I had any bad gastro effects - (You know what I mean!) At first I only consumed it when I knew I would be home. I haven't found it at the supermarket but order it from Amazon. I've made some really great ice cream using allulose since the ice cream doesn't get rock hard. For portion control, I put the ice cream in 4oz jelly jars and then into the freezer.

If anyone else has used allulose in recipes, I would love to hear about your results.

Liz J.
on 6/25/19 6:16 am
DS on 11/29/16

I'm also doing a modified Keto diet without the high fat. Just like the others have said, I don't shy away from fat or eat low fat. I just don't add fat such as butter to my coffee, yuck! Basically it's Atkins stage 1 or 2. Almost all of my carbs come from fruit and veggies. I do eat low carb protein bars and sugar substitutes don't bother me at all. I lose eating under 50 carbs a day and maintain at under 100, it's finding what woks for you.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Kim Meeks
on 7/13/19 3:17 pm - lubbock, TX

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it

I hate that i have gained back some of my weight - 40 out of 135# doesn't sound bad - but it feels terrible. I have started going to the gym and have lost about 4# in the past month and i am getting more activity - I've heard its the fountain of youth ! hahaha so, that i am hopeful for!

Most Active