Gastric Bypass Ontario.. Excess Skin post op

animallover1247
on 6/23/19 1:23 pm

And I'm just curious..what were the statistics regarding those who gain it back? I've heard and read many different things.

jmk187
on 6/23/19 1:55 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I Don't remember the exact numbers since the seminar was last september, but it was not good. I know that surgeons consider the surgery a success if a patient loses just 50% of their excess weight.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/19 9:39 am

As young as you are, you may not even have too much lose skin. I let app 120 lbs, and I was obese many years before my WLS. If I wanted to, I did not need to have reconstructive surgery for my abdominal part. I knew I wanted - needed breast lift, but since I had big, heavy breasts from my younger years, I almost always wanted breast reduction+ lift. I lost enough weight not needing reduction, but after a year post op RNY I got breast lift. Approximately a year later I had lower body lift. I am glad I did, but that was the part I could live with if I couldn't afford it.

Be proactive, start saving now for reconstructive surgery. You are still young, find ways to save, and after you get fit, get a second job, or find ways to make extra money.

Savings can include- buying clothes during the journey only in a second hand stores, and buying only as much as you need for each stage. I used thrift stores, and even now - I still go to some of them to get a shirt or some other things for a $1 or $2. I have so much clothes, that I don't need anymore, but I sometimes like to just change. Paying up to $4 for a piece of clothing doesn't make me feel guilty about spending.

I love reading, and I also buy use books. They often have books in thrift stores. Or I find them on line, used, Amazon or eBay.

Movies - if you go often - just don't. Save that money. We love movies and going out, but with budgeting - we can do one or the other, we often chose movies and buy and make our own foods. We also buy ready to eat items like sushi in a store, spending 15-20 for dinner for 2 not 50-60. I no longer drink alcohol. Savings right there. We buy frozen pizza (for my guy) and we very seldom get pizza delivered. I stop drinking soda, and drink lots of tea, black tea, green tea, etc.

If you have an expensive phone plan - shop around, see what's out there and change to a good buy cheaper plan.. etc etc...

There are ways to live on a budget and start saving.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

animallover1247
on 6/23/19 1:31 pm, edited 6/23/19 6:32 am

I'm 3.5 years post op almost and I lost 92% of my excess weight which was 150lbs. I do have lose skin but considering the amount of weight I lost, it's not near as bad as it could be. Im actually very fortunate. The one place I need surgery is my face and neck, it's the only place that really bothers me. You can't tell I have excess skin in my clothes and I don't have the wear compression garmets either. I'm 46. You are young so I would not spend too much time worrying about the issue.

Janet P.
on 6/28/19 8:01 am

Are you more concerned about your current weight situation or about the excess skin? If you're more worried about the excess skin, then you should reconsider WLS. Your health should be the first reason to have WLS. You're young so unless you've been SMO your entire life, your skin will bounce back (to a certain extent). Skin is elastic. For those of us who were SMO (or MO or O) for decades, nothing was going to help because the elasticity is gone. For those who are younger and don't have decades of stretched skin, the chances of it bouncing back are good.

You have to decide what's more important - your health or how you look.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active