Does anyone really regret having the surgery?

DonRobbie
on 7/29/19 1:21 pm
DS on 12/18/18

My best guess is it will be worse in the short term (due to the swelling etc. immediately post op) and will probably improve long term with weight loss. Some people who have GERD post op never improve even after weight loss, so there is a risk. I decided it was worth it. Some docs claim to be able do special stitching on the esophagus end of the sleeve to lessen GERD. I think the shape of the sleeve and the size bougie used also affect the likelihood of GERD/ heartburn long term. It's worth asking your Surgeon if there is anything that can be done to minimize your risk.

KayLaw4170
on 7/29/19 3:28 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Oh wow I had no idea they could even do that with the size/shape of sleeve. I will ask about it. Right now I'm not even taking ANY gerd meds and barely have issues so who knows?

DonRobbie
on 7/28/19 8:41 pm
DS on 12/18/18

Every Surgery has trade offs. Every Surgery has a range of outcomes. Gastric Bypass rocks at reducing GERD and heartburn for most people (but has its own set of downsides). The Sleeve is much, much less likely to have nutritional complications that require anything more than taking a multivitamin daily (but is irreversible and GERD is one of the known issues. The DS is very very likely to make and keep you skinny (but it's the frenemy who's always halfheartedly trying to kill you while it helps you achieve your goals).

Slowly getting heavier and heavier is not risk free, either.

I can't tell you what the right decision for you is. You're the one with the most skin in the game. I made my decision because I was tired of hurting and being worn out all the time and feeling so bleeping defeated by my weight.

One caution, and I'm not the first to notice it, Docs tend to talk up the procedures they like to do and talk down the ones they don't like or won't do. So if you are thinking about a sleeve and your surgeon likes to do bypasses he's probably not the best source for an unbiased discussion of the downsides of the sleeve (and vice versa).

Haley_Martinez
on 7/19/19 9:30 am
RNY on 05/03/18

No regrets what-so-ever! Having WLS is probably one of (if not THE) best decision I have ever made. I am healthier, I am happier, I am in less pain, I have more self confidence, my depression has significantly reduced, I have better stamina, I am sick less, and the list goes on.
If you are ready to make the lifelong changes in lifestyle that goes with being a WLS success, I recommend it everyday of the week!

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

KayLaw4170
on 7/22/19 7:57 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Thank you for that, these comments have eased my mind some. I am so ready to be HAPPY and HEALTHY finally! I'm ready to make changes (& have since I recently lost 27 pounds since beginning this) and can't wait to lose more weight. Did you have surgery again for the loose skin?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/19/19 11:35 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

No regrets whatsoever. I chose the surgery that works best for me.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/19/19 11:39 am

I have a lot of days that i wished I did not have it. Or if I had it - that I had it when I was younger and my body still could deal with the issues.

But - it is what it is, I do best with what i have now. Also - there is not a 100% certainty that my issues are because I had RNY. My body and my system was broken before, that's why I was obese.

Some of the issues I have now may be due to RNY, or just because I had "A surgery" and then lost weight.

And after losing weight I needed more surgeries. (GB, hernia, etc)

There are a lot of people who may have similar issues to what I ma dealing with and who did not have WLS.

It is what it is. I can't change the past. I only can influence my future.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 7/19/19 12:11 pm - Warren, OH

It is not that we regret the surgery, but we do wish we were one of that three out of 100 people who could have kept the weight off without surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/20/19 5:57 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

WLS is a reset, not a cure.

I woke up from WLS and did not regret it then, and have not since. And I hope that you do not have cause to regret yours.

The one thing I would suggest that people considering WLS do is investigate their options, from a medical and realist point. When you understand what control your hormones have over your weight - how hungry you get, how easily your appetite is satisfied, and how your metabolic rate controls how many calories your body burns at rest or exercise, people can evaluate their decision., and know that they made the best decision they could.

If you are post-WLS and in the honeymoon phase, understanding these interactions can help you prepare for the end of the honeymoon phase, which is when your body (typically 1-3 years post-op)has adjusted to WLS and hormones kick in again. You may be more alert to these changes and better able to avoid or manage regain. This understanding can also help lot the regain.

Longterm, regain is one of the biggest reasons that people regret having the surgery - I think ~25% of people eventually gain it all back but most keep off at least 50% of what they lost shortly after WLS (during the honeymoon phase). 25% keep off most of their original weight loss. So, stay on track and research what works for "When the honeymoon is over," be prepared with strategies so you are not locked in fear and panic if the number on the scale begins to go up. People here are great resources, as are your doctor.

There are some things that I did not like, but they were the result of evil(IMHO) people in the medical community, not the WLS itself.

Sharon

hollykim
on 7/20/19 6:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2019 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, KayLaw4170 wrote:

I'm sure people ask this question a lot on here but I would truly like to know if anyone can say they wish they had not had WLS. Is your life better or worse because of it? Is there anything you wish you had known prior to having surgery?

Okay thanks for your time!!

never one regret in 9 years. Best thing I ever did for myself.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1541 views