Does anyone really regret having the surgery?

MadisonRose
on 7/20/19 12:26 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

I'm still early out, but I have no regrets thus far. Well the only regret.....like many others, is that I had done it sooner!

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

ocean4dlm
on 7/21/19 5:24 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I had a difficult start but have only regretted not doing it sooner ! This gift saved my life !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/19 1:05 pm

Only that I didn't have it sooner.

And if you're wondering about fat bias at work, I had 7 people working for me as a morbidly obese guy. After losing the weight, it quickly moved to over 400 people. Luckily I left, as working for a business like that is never gratifying.

Kathleen W.
on 7/21/19 5:57 pm - Lancaster, PA

I'm one of the ones that had major complications from my rny, including stitches breaking, pancreatitis, and a fungal infection in the lungs. I was bed ridden, trach in my throat, spent four months in icu, three operations in three months(including the last operation where it was packed, not sown up). From one hospital, I was sent to a hospital that specialized in the lung therapies. After spending a month there, I was sent to a nursing home where I was told that I would need a long term nursing care. I was a disgusting patient. I'm part Irish, part German, and from NJ. Enough said. I fought back. I copped attitudes, kept pushing myself. I wanted my life back. Finally had a pulminologist that weaned my off the oxygen. He was going to send me home with the trach in my throat for night time. I screamed that I had sleep apnea and why couldn't I use my cpap machine instead. He agreed with me. He's one of the rare doctors who actually listened to me. I walked out ten months later.

Would I do it again? IN A HEARTBEAT!!!! I don't take anything for granted. Life is a joy and a privilege. I'm not going to miss out on anything.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

jmk187
on 7/22/19 1:21 am
VSG on 02/13/19

No Ragrets. Not even one letter.

On a more serious note..None at all. Best thing I ever could have done for my diabetes, after 7 years of being on a diabetic roller coaster from hell. The surgery itself did not cure my diabetes, But everything that comes along with the surgery has got my diabetes in check.(learning all new eating habits, cut the refined carbs, Limiting the amount of food I eat at a given meal by weighing and measuring, eating at set times)

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

KayLaw4170
on 7/22/19 8:08 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Haha! ..but WOW you have lost a tremendous amount of weight, good for you. I'm a lot more hopeful going forward after hearing so much positive feedback. I'm willing to do hard work and be dedicated to the lifestyle changes. I want this surgery to be successful and hopefully it will with no complications or issues!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/22/19 8:21 am
RNY on 08/05/19

On the whole, no regrets about having surgery. But to be honest, I do rather wish I'd had the RNY.

I had VSG 5 years ago. I've been having serious acid issues for the past few years, plus I'm dealing with regain, so I went back to my surgeon. Turns out my GERD is quite serious, and my sleeve has stretched to well over double its original size. (Not because of anything I've done, but because of a connective tissue issue that I didn't even know I had.)

In the next few weeks, I will be revising to RNY to fix the GERD, and I rather wish I'd just done that in the first place. My main reason against RNY was because I was concerned about malabsorption of my psych medication (I have bipolar), but my surgeon says that shouldn't be an issue.

Still, I'm glad I had my VSG. I lost 150lb and my health problems resolved, plus I had a very healthy pregnancy and now have a great little kid out of it. Even with the regain, I'm down 80lb from where I was pre-op and I'm super active right now; I play roller derby, I lift weights at the gym, I swim a lot, and I'm training for a long bike ride and a triathlon later this year. I'm incredibly grateful I had surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KayLaw4170
on 7/22/19 8:16 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Yeah we had talked about the GERD issue before which is also very concerning to me since i already have it. But lately, since I've lost 27 pounds, it hasn't even been an issue. I don't even take antacids or Prilosec anymore bc I don't need to. Im speaking with the surgeon in September and im still asking about it since my doctor blew me off basically said I'll be fine. I really love the weight loss center i go to and especially because they help you get ALL your insurance requirements in one place over time. Other hospital i went to did not do that, just sent you out there to figure it all out by yourself.

Do you have to take vitamins after VSG surgery too?

Good luck with your RNY and congrats on your weight loss & child:) I have a toddler son as well and he is another reason I'm doing this...to set a healthy example and be around for him in the long run! Also to keep up with chasing him all over the place bc he's ADHD.

I will find out next month if I pass my nicotine urine test in which they test for cotitine (ur body turns nicotine into) and whether my surgery will be in October or November due to the results. I'm hoping and praying it all goes well and I don't have to wait until November. I quit smoking recently and all I can do is drink lots of water, exercise and eat healthy which I've been doing anyways!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/23/19 7:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Even if you aren't having GERD issues now, I would be very leery about having VSG with any history of acid problems. We're seeing a lot of folks on OH revise due to GERD, and doctors aren't totally sure why it happens even to people who have zero history of reflux.

Both RNY and VSG patients have to follow the same vitamin regimen. It's honestly not bad at all. I take a double dose of Centrum Silver, plus additional iron and calcium. I took regular pills immediately after surgery, though I had to split them into smaller pieces for a while.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KayLaw4170
on 7/29/19 7:11 am
VSG on 10/10/19

That's another question I had: how can you take pills after surgery if you only can be on liquids? I take a few different pills as well so just curious how that works. And yes, I am verrrry hesitant about having VSG ..I'm leaning towards to DS or RNY now. My reason for having the VSG is bc it's easier surgery, less time under knife and (I thought) less vitamin deficiency or malabsorption? But guess with VSG I'll still have to take supplements for the rest of my life too.?

That's what I dream of doing- living an active lifestyle like you do! I'm active now but not able to do nearly as much as I'd like. Long hikes in the woods, swimming laps, lifting, bike rides etc. ..

Most Active