Thank You For Your Interesting Replies

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/19 7:51 am

Giving myself permission Rocky helps me not want to do it . I actually like NEVER drink that much and mostly since I've given myself a break I'm not even drinking AT ALL .

My point of the post was that this works for me based on personal experience and I offered it because there are many people in trouble with transfer addiction post op and there has to be many ways to reign it in . Toughing it out using rigid abstinence head doesn't work for everyone just as many people here won't follow their doctor recommended post op diet .

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/25/19 8:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On July 25, 2019 at 12:07 AM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

I never said day drinking was a good idea lol! What I did say is I got in trouble with transfer addiction like many post ops here and outside this forum . I had practically no alcohol experience whatsoever as long as I was getting drunk daily binging excess food .

I did sincerely try abstinence and stuck out the " thirteen stepping " excuses of male-dominated ( and lowlife newcomer female behavior excusing AA) . My point is there are other addiction therapies than abstinence that have far higher recovery rates than twelve step based abstinence . There are very interesting popular books available on the subject and even hugely expensive rehabs mostly on the west coast where addiction is an exponentially more serious problem . I'm just trying to open a discussion on what works for us based on personal experience .

Hiw do you deal with pressure , going to sleep at night , dating , social events and work events ? I need another way to relax than exhausting myself with three hours of working out to get a runners high ( and even with that I find myself craving relief and relaxation after dinner)

Many people need to find ways, other than food or alcohol, to cope with their problems after WLS. Working with a therapist is a great way to start; a mental health professional can help you find healthy emotional coping mechanisms. MANY people on OH work with therapists to get their heads on straight, which is far healthier than drinking.

I strongly recommend that you look into it. This site is a great start for finding someone near you:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/19 9:10 am

I saw a therapist twice a week for the past three years and also a family therapist for my family. It's been a TREMENDOUS help tho I think she dials it in a bit because she can't relate . I'd like to find a therapist who understands excess eating and how serious it is . I'm getting judged like an idiot by people who never experienced this issue and think of me as six hundred pound life . I feel treated with less and less respect as I dare get more honest .

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/25/19 11:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On July 25, 2019 at 4:10 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

I saw a therapist twice a week for the past three years and also a family therapist for my family. It's been a TREMENDOUS help tho I think she dials it in a bit because she can't relate . I'd like to find a therapist who understands excess eating and how serious it is . I'm getting judged like an idiot by people who never experienced this issue and think of me as six hundred pound life . I feel treated with less and less respect as I dare get more honest .

No, you're getting treated with less and less respect because you suggest that it's OK to do things that doctors advise against, and you make assertions that go against RECENT medical research.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dreamer1234
on 8/2/19 4:15 pm

have you tried a therapist who specializes in weight loss issues and eating disorders? there are people out there like that.

Miss150
on 7/30/19 5:56 pm

"My point is there are other addiction therapies than abstinence that have far higher recovery rates than twelve step based abstinence "

Quote your source, please. I would like to look at that information for myself. Thank you.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/19 6:38 am

INTERESTING BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT

The Addiction Recovery Skills Workbook by Suzette Glaser-Edwards

The Anatomy of Addiction by Aikur Mahammad

When AA Doest work for You - Rational Steps to Quitting Alcohol by Albert Ellis

Buddhas Brain - The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness Love and Wisdom by Rick Hanson

Her Best Kept Secret - Gabrielle Glaser

Scar Tissue - by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sex Drugs Gambling and Chocolate by A Thomas Horvath

Sober for Good by Anne Fletcher

Wherever You Go There you Are by Jon Kabat-Zin

365 Ways to Have Fun Sober Lisa M Hann

Powerless No More - Melanie Solomon

AA- Not the Only Way -Your One Stop Resource Guide to 12 Step Alternatives -Melanie Solomon

Rational Drinking- How to Live Happily With and Without Alcohol - Michael eidelstein

Beyond Addiction- How Science and kindness Help. People Change - Jeffrey Foote

The one I really liked I can't find the name of but its a book written by a father and son team who now rum an extremely popular and hugely expensive luxury rehab in LA I believe . I gave the book to a friend to read and Ill call and ask him the title is.

Miss150
on 7/31/19 11:17 am, edited 7/31/19 4:17 am

Again, you state there are programs that have a greater success rate than Abstinence programs. You write it as a factual statement. Please, cite the exact source that backs the statement up. Otherwise, you?ve expressed a personal opinion which needs to be prefaced as such. Thank you.

edited abstinence instead of 12 step programs

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Kathyjs
on 8/20/19 2:10 pm

I had surgery to be healthy, not to ruin my liver

Amy R.
on 7/24/19 9:48 pm
On July 24, 2019 at 1:08 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

The subject ( post op transfer addiction and alcohol use ) is interesting and it?s a shame an honest if controversial thread is eliminated simply because the original posters opinion expressed is not momentarily popular .

Please let?s remember the great protein controversy ... turns out excess protein does cause deadly kidney disease.Bariatric Surgeons now do not encourage supplementing protein past a few weeks or at the most months. We always learn from each other ... and OH is one of the best places to learn how to live happily and healthily post op based on our own real- life experiences.

To respond to a few comments : yes I?m a great example of what not to do lol ... some of my past posts were written impaired and were very whacked. However I think much more than transfer addiction went into getting and keeping me trapped for a few years.

I think when we get rid of the binging all our weaknesses come out of hiding . I wish I?d started with weekly therapy right after surgery ( I didn?t because I was in a honeymoon phase and happy ) . But even then the anxiety immature rebelliousness was showing through .... the putting too much pressure on myself .. the lack of self- love skills to soothe myself and comfort myself with anything other than endless sports and gardening . I had no idea about positive relationships especially with the opposite sex.

Interestingly my way of now ( after years of therapy and painful sobriety of a year ) accepting that I need time to relax and permission to enjoy being a responsible adult has led to very very little drinking even when I?m ? allowed to ? . Slowly I?m dealing with my emotional immaturity and rebelliousness ( I?m growing myself up ) without running to a substance . Though I give myself permission to have five drinks for the last three nights I?ve only had one or two and last night I threw most of my first glass of wine out .

I will just point out Jeneen someone?s book a long time ago where she dealt with chronic dieting by giving herself permission to eat ANYTHING in moderation . It worked for her and it worked for me . Still works yet almost every day I choose to eat very healthily. For me alcohol recovery is successfully working the same way . I posted to help others who?d lost their way and who like me will not tolerate suffering .

quoting due to history of editing after posting.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1544 views