Before and After + Body Dismorphia

Gwen M.
on 7/26/19 12:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It really depends on where you live, and googling is probably your best bet.

There are two different kinds of scans. There's the medical kind that a doctor can order for you and you can get done at your local radiology and imaging place - however, this scan will just give you information about your bone density. That's really important information to have, even for a guy, but it doesn't tell you your body fat and the other good numbers that you might want.

The consumer kind can usually be paid for with an FSA/HSA, but insurance doesn't cover it and it's not ordered by a doctor. I get mine done in the DC area at a place called Composition ID. Sometimes universities or gyms will have access to DEXA scanning tech, so you'll need to ask around and google based on your area. This type of scan gives you the entire breakdown of your body's components so you know your bone weight, your fat weight, and all the other neat stuff you might want to know. And your bone density.

I think mine cost in the 100-150 range, but I honestly don't remember.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Willie H.
on 7/26/19 12:41 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you, sounds good. It looks like here in NJ it goes for about$125 which is reasonable, and there is a place within 10 miles of me. I think I'll look into it. Again, thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/19 11:46 am

In the town I am in, there is one facility in one of the local University. The cost is 125, and I need to schedule that with the person,a professor, house I charged that lab in physical activity center.

I had my first Dexa scan app 3 year ago, and my body fat %, total body fat % was app 20-21%. That scan also showed me where it was, showing fat distribution calculated for each and every part of my body: head, torso, arms, legs, etc. As we age, and consider health, this is important, if not even more important than a total body fat%. Fat in your torso, around you major organs, can determine potential health issues. Most women carry fat in their hips and legs, and that statistically doesn't represent negative health issues.

This year I had a second Dexa at the same place. That allows me to see how my body changed, and determine if my fat distribution is changing, and, what is for me more important, show me if my bone density is changing. That can be critical for some people. We don't really know if we are getting enough calcium and other minerals to maintain bone health. Some people blood work can be very good, but due to WLS they may be losing bones' density. Only bones scan or body Dexa scan over the years can determine that. It is much easier to maintain bone density than to increase density when there is already osteoporosis. Men are not in as much danger as women are. But post op WLS can be critical for anyone.

If you can afford the $125- consider doing it.

BTW,- this year I convinced my man to get tested. He is not fat, but slightly overweight. Maybe 10 lbs? But the body fat % was not very good for him. He carries his fat in his torso, and later this year I may consider changing his diet just a bit. I buy most groceries and I cook, so I have some influence in what is in the house, and what he eats. Small changes could help my guy to lose and maintain fat loses. We may even start some exercise routine together. Maybe.

Also - getting Dexa scan, can help you determine if you still may want to try to lose weight, or, even with BMI more than 25, you are actually not overweight, but rather skinny/ athletic. That was my case when my weight reached 150 lbs, but my total body fat was rather low.

Some of us who were active when we were obese, may have strong dense bones, and muscles. That may cause the BMI estimated state to be wrong for us.

When I was 150 lbs, I had not extra fat to lose safely. So when I lost that, and got down to 140's or below, I knew that it was not good for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/19 3:06 am

Willie a DEXA scan tests your bones for osteoporosis . Chances are being a handsome young man your bones are fine ... but it's good to have a record if your insurance pays for it just to have a point of reference in the future .

If you plan to do heavy- lifting type bodybuilding and you have the small wrists and ankles and waist that that sport considers most attractive ... it's good to test your bones' strength because that body type can risk injury with the very high weights .

brenmcc
on 7/27/19 8:03 pm
RNY on 03/11/19

You look beautiful!

jmk187
on 7/31/19 12:55 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

The change is unreal. You look amazing. I totally get the "even now I still feel fat." I've lost almost 100lbs since September and I have my days where I feel just as big. I have only ever been as low as 251lbs in my adult life, and that was during the time I was a complete shut-in. My Social anxiety lead to my agoraphobia back in the early 2000s and I got to the point where I Didn't leave my home for almost 6 years. At my worst with mental stuff I kept telling myself I will goto the doctor and get help for my panic attacks and agoraphobia "If I can just get to this weight"...Even though I had lost 90lbs back then in 8 months. Well I never did get down to that weight..and I would go on to continue being a shut-in for another 3 years. Finally leaving my house when I had regained all the weight back in 08. Good for you for finally posting your After and not letting the mental stuff stop you.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active