Bariatric-Friendly Comfort Food Hacks - Please Add Your Favorite Recipes! MEXICAN

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/19 4:06 am

Restaurant Salsa Fat Free Velveeta and Fat Free Crispy Tortilla Chips - 10 minute snack 250 calories . ( usually I can only eat half of this at a time)

Quick Mexican Restaurant Salsa ( this is exactly how they make it too ) One tub fresh grocery store salsa - add one half to a whole med size sweet red onion sliced / chopped into slivers. One or two ripe red tomatoes diced . One half bunch of fresh cilantro cut tiny ( I use scissors) . Use the stems too they add crunch ! I also like to toast some slices garlic and add it .

This keeps fresh in the crisper for at least a week but you'll eat it long before then!

Fat Free Velveeta sauce - 4 slices Fat Free American cheese ( or if you like a little bite substitute one slice of fat free pepper jack ) About 1/2 cup fat free half and half . Melt together in saucepan - stir - put in small dipping bowl

Fat free tortilla chips .- take two fresh corn tortillas and place in air fryer . Fry at highest setting approx two minutes . Should be very crispy and lightly browned on edges and break apart easily . Two tortillas are only 100 calories !

Totals - chips cals 100 carbs 20 fat 1 gram protein 2 grams

cheese sauce - protein 20 grams carbs 14 grams fat O grams calories 140

salsa - fat O protein O calories negligible

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/19 11:15 am

Fat Free Low Cal Enchiladas -20 minutes prep time

preheat oven to 350

toast 6 -8!corn tortillas in pan till slightly browned but still soft

place one slice fat free American cheese on each ( can substitute some fat free pepper jack slice if you like a bit of heat ) if you prefer you can include vegetables - red onion diced fresh tomato are good

open one can of fat free refried beans split 6-8 ways fold tortillas in half place in a row in spray-oiled baking dish

open one can green enchilada sauce pour over tortillas ( should completely cover ) you can top with a bit of cotija cheese but it isn't necessary.

Bake till bubbling and edges start to brown approx 10-15 minutes

calories per serving

total carbs 8 servings 54 in beans 24 in cheese 80 in tortillas 18 in enchilada sauce - carbs per enchilada 22

fat - 1/2 gram per enchilada

protein 16 from tortillas 32 from cheese slices 18 from refried beans equals 8 grams protein per enchilada

calories- 400 from tortillas 330 from beans 110 from enchilada sauce 240 from cheese equals 1080 so 135 calories per enchilada

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/19 12:20 pm

Ceviche - cold fish salad marinated in citrus juice . Zero fat very low call high healthy protein .

This is a Great use for leftover fish . Wash off the sauce cut it up into bite size pieces . For two cups of fish I use approx 3/4 cup lime juice . I also dice 1/2 a red onion very small and add it to the marinade and peel a orange with a seater dice it and add it and refrigerate . Ceviche softens the fish most evenly if you periodically stir the fish into the lime . Some people drown the fish in lime I find it wasteful and the end result often too tangy - it's better to just stir and taste every hour or so . Usually it takes 3-4 hours and the fish is both soft and citrusy in flavor . I pour off the lime when I like it and add tiny pieces of cilantro a diced tomato and Some very mild chili pepper or red pepper diced . Makes 3-4 cups

Calories - approx 100 a cup . Protein approx 25 grams per cup very little carbs and no fat .

The Salty Hag
on 7/27/19 8:17 pm, edited 7/27/19 1:44 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat

Ingredients:

Boneless skinless chicken thighs ( how ever much you need ) Taco seasonings to your liking ( I make my own blend ) 1 cup broth or water.

Season chicken thighs, and slightly season cooking liquid. Add the 1 cup of cooking liquid to Instant Pot insert.

Place thighs on Instant Pot trivet or in an IP friendly steamer basket. Set on manual high pressure, for 6 minutes per pound with a 10 minute natural pressure release. 2.5 lbs, my go-to amount, takes about 25 minutes total, including the NPR.

After they're done, shred for various uses. I use my Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment; it makes for quick shredding.

I eat this in a bowl sans tortilla and add shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

Easy-Peasy and really, really delicious.

My taco seasoning blend is granulated garlic, granulated onion, black pepper, chile powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano or marjoram, chipotle powder, and ancho powder. I add at least 3 x more garlic than the other spices. I don't add salt. I like to salt the food separately.

Edited for formatting hijinks.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/19 11:33 am, edited 7/28/19 4:34 am

I like to add some fat to the bottom of the IP, smear it all over the bottom, so it helps the spices and it is easier to clean after. I use avocado oil, or ghee or coconut oil.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 7/28/19 1:01 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Oh I like that suggestion! I do hate it when the insert doesn't come clean easily. Thanks, Hala!

Tom Petty

Gina 21 Years Out
on 7/28/19 3:17 pm - Burleson, TX

Me, also...I always add some sort of healthy, REAL fat..,

No fake fat, or "fat free", for me, EVER...yuck!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

The Salty Hag
on 7/28/19 8:12 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I guess since I use meat like chicken thighs or chuck roast in the IP, I don't add fat, but I think it's genius to add some though.

No fat free stuff here either. I even buy yogurt that's 5% to mix in with the Light and Fit Greek.

Tom Petty

Liz J.
on 7/29/19 8:02 am
DS on 11/29/16

So it's in a basket not sitting in the water?

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

The Salty Hag
on 7/29/19 8:52 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes! The trivet and/or the basket keep it above the liquid line, depending on how much liquid is added, of course. I think it helps keep it from getting too waterlogged. Using the trivet on my model, ( 6 qt Duo, bought in November 2016 ) it may still sit in liquid a little bit if a cup or more of liquid is added.

I recently bought a silicone steamer basket on Amazon, and it even though the basket isn't any higher than the trivet, it seems to keep it out of the liquid better. The brand I bought is "QuickerNest". It's gray, and looks more like a floppy colander than a steamer basket...lol. I love it. It fits in my 6 qt if I fold the handles down.

I do this with all of the meat I put in the IP for shredding purposes.

Hope this clarifies things!

Tom Petty

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views