New Member - Seeking RNY Support

jungisstephens
on 8/13/19 2:19 am

Hello all, I'm also new to the forum and glad to be a part of this forum. Looking at all you for a better discuss my family health and fitness.

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/19 8:39 pm

Sounds like Ure a great candidate for success Thru WLS ! U hav a significant amount of weight to lose to b at your optimal weight ... Ur more or less healthy but just can't lose and keep it off .. you need a weight reset :)

im pretty sure Ull appreciate ur WLS every day and thank God you did it like most of us here . Why live s low quality life due to overweight and it's many health complications when U can b ur self again , achieve ur dreams .. have the long life and energy and health to enjoy it U deserve

TheLeanBigGuy
on 8/14/19 4:18 am, edited 8/13/19 9:54 pm

Thank you - quutgrrl - this is exactly why I'm perusing WLS ... I have been the "Big Guy" for way to long and and while I'm health on the outside - I know in the next 5 to 10 years I won't be able to say the same. And I don't want to be a product of too little to late.

I've been busy and have all my paper work together minus the endoscopy | EKG | and fasting Labs - and Friday the 16th 7am I'll be lab'd, scoped, and EKG'd.

I'm excited about that.

Another member mentioned the SADI-S revision with a loop to bypass 10ft. of your lower intestines. Maybe this is not the forum to ask about this, as there seems to be no long term data to support long term results.

I ask as originally I was seeking the Roux-and-Y.

Can someone speak to each or their experiences with either one?

Thank you all for all your support!!

[TLBG]

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/19 9:04 am

80 lbs ago I was what is referred here as a " lightweight " which maybe U are too ...

I chose to have a proximal RNY with a larger stomach and hiatal hernia repair because I already ate a very healthy diet of bulky low-fat veg dishes , salads , beans ... not very much meat ( mostly lean fish n fat free dairy ) and I wanted to continue eating the same way .

My ex husband on the other hand prefers fats cookies and fatty restaurant food ... he chose what's called a distal RNY ( the surgeon removed more of his intestine to give him more and permanent malabsorption ) he also had far more weight to lose and won't exercise at all .

Thank God we're both very healthy goin on ten years post op in my case 13-14 in his . I'm below goal weight and happily maintaining despite eating lovely every day ... he's regained like 50 lbs perhaps due to the stress of our divorce . I highly recommend the tried n true gold standard WLS the RNY . ((,)))hugs

TheLeanBigGuy
on 8/20/19 4:14 am
On August 15, 2019 at 4:04 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

80 lbs ago I was what is referred here as a " lightweight " which maybe U are too ...

I chose to have a proximal RNY with a larger stomach and hiatal hernia repair because I already ate a very healthy diet of bulky low-fat veg dishes , salads , beans ... not very much meat ( mostly lean fish n fat free dairy ) and I wanted to continue eating the same way .

My ex husband on the other hand prefers fats cookies and fatty restaurant food ... he chose what's called a distal RNY ( the surgeon removed more of his intestine to give him more and permanent malabsorption ) he also had far more weight to lose and won't exercise at all .

Thank God we're both very healthy goin on ten years post op in my case 13-14 in his . I'm below goal weight and happily maintaining despite eating lovely every day ... he's regained like 50 lbs perhaps due to the stress of our divorce . I highly recommend the tried n true gold standard WLS the RNY . ((,)))hugs

quutgrrl -

Thank you for sharing your experience I've cut back on my portions, buy leaner meats, I like to make green juices, and find my weight still swings from down 10 to 15 lbs. to up 5 lbs. My wife likes sweets. While we are curbing the habit, sometimes i'll get caught up in having some cookies or chocolates. She / we know it's not good for either of us, and I mostly are pointing it out. In most of the reading it seems RNY is the way to go. I also found other procedures, lead back to having a revised RNY. I'd rather skip the chance of having a revision, possibly GERT and just have the RNY from the start.

Here's a question, my current nutritionist has been a great help over the past couple years. The nutritionist at the surgery center (When we spoke) agrees with my current approach to WL and says, I'm doing all the right things. Going forward, I think I'd feel much better with my current nutritionist, then starting over with a new one. Have you faced this?

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/19 2:02 am

You're going to get the same post-op nutritional suggestions from your surgery center nutritionist as from your long term one I strongly suspect - lowfat lots of fresh veg - eat protein first - drink only between ( and before ) meals no sugar and fat free dairy . And to make gentle daily exercise and movement a priority

Its going to be your choice how closely you follow these guidelines - which it sounds going in you already largely do .

As far as cookies and sweets go you may not like them after RNY - I for instance dump so sugar is a no-no . But I can and do make fat free sugar free desserts ranging from brownies to strudel to fat free sugar free three flavor cheesecake to sugar and basically fat free ( other than the nuts ) pralined pecans yesterday ( which were surprisingly good .

RNY is considered the gold standard of WLS because it has stood the test of time and doesn't require lifelong crazy post op vitamin intake to stay healthy like the DS . But if you're a inveterate fat eater - live on barbecued ribs and cheeseburgers and foods dripping butter the lifelong malabsorption of the DS may work best to avoid regain . I still have malabsorption of fat 9 years post RNY- it comes in handy when eating out or eating at parties :) I don't end up wearing the evidence :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1405 views