GERD - VSG to RNY

Willie H.
on 8/8/19 8:51 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Was wondering about the difficulty of revising from VSG to RNY? Will the Dr. do it? Will my insurance accept it? I've been experiencing GERD a lot lately along with a constant dry cough. While it is and has been annoying I was not too concerned about it until a friend of mine passed away 2 weeks ago from esophagus cancer. I heard that GERD can lead to that? Was just wondering how difficult it would be to have a revision with the insurance companies and my Surgeon? I'm almost 5 years out from VSG (August 26,2014) and had my annual check up the other day. My surgeon's assistant did not seem too concern with what I was telling her about my cough. She did not even mention GERD, and when I did she seem unconcerned? Just told me to watch what foods I eat. It does occur when I eat particular foods or if I eat too fast. For instance this morning I had a few sliced apples and it got me into a coughing fit? I took a Prevacid and it feels better now. ??????

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

catwoman7
on 8/8/19 8:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yes - esophageal cancer is a risk of GERD. I don't think it's a HUGE risk, but it's a risk nonetheless.

insurance - totally depends on your company. Some limit coverage to one weight loss surgery a lifetime - others might approve a second if it's done for medical reasons. You'll just have to call the customer service number on your insurance card and ask

surgeon - I don't think all of them do revisions - it's a pretty complicated surgery, from what I understand. But some will. You'll have to check with yours to see if he/she does them.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/19 9:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You will need to call your insurance company to see if they will pay for a conversion. My insurance company covered it no problem, I just needed to prove that 8 weeks of PPI medication did not improve my GERD.

My surgeon does the conversion surgery all the time, most doctors are familiar with the procedure.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 8/8/19 9:26 am

Go see a gastroenterologist and see if he/she will do an endoscopy to see if there is damage from the gerd. There are some things you can do with diet to try to lessen it. Also you can stop eating early in the evening and raise the top of your bed. Do what you can as you research your options.

My father died from EC. He had years of acid reflux and worked in a chemical plant. Not a good combination.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MarinaGirl
on 8/8/19 9:59 pm

Another reason to see a gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy is to see how much damage you've experienced thus far due to reflux (e.g. esophagitis, Barrett's Esophagus which may be considered pre-cancerous, etc). GERD is a serious issue that you should discuss with medical doctors, not medical assistants. Good luck.

KadieEuropeBound
on 8/9/19 4:00 pm
Revision on 08/15/19

Hello, I am scheduled for revision from VSG to RNY this coming Sept 19. My insurance Unitedhealthcare approved me within 10 days. I'm 2 years VSG post-op. I had an endoscopy last Dec that shown GERD. I was placed on omeprazole 20mg. I still experienced heartburn and acid reflux. My symptoms did not improved with a change to 40mg. During my 6 months, 1 year and 2 year post op visits my surgeon would tell me if the acid reflux continues he recommends me to a conversion to Gastric Bypass. My Gerd is not severe but a daily annoyance having feeling of acid coming back after 1 or two meals

For me, my decision was to correct this GERD issue before I try to plan for a family later. I have heard acid reflux can be worsen in some women during pregnancy.

As others mentioned, ask your doctor for an endoscopy and if possible an upper GI. You do not have to suffer with GERD.

New_me2011
on 8/13/19 10:58 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12

I had VSG 2/14/12 and lost weight well but developed severe GETD and a hiatal hernia. Like you I was worried about the documented increased risk of Barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer, as well as the risks of the prescription medicine I had to take daily for the acid. I had a revision to the bypass 7/17/17 and the GERD has been resolved. ( I had never even had heartburn in my life before this surgery). I had the same surgeon and insurance both times and it was covered in full ( the bill I saw for the revision surgery showed that the hospital billed my insurance $100,000 and my responsibility was $300.00- I'll gladly take that!!) I had experienced some regain , ( about 25-30 pounds), which in addiction to my GERD and hiatal hernia made my revision medically necessary. In answer to your question insurance definitely covered both procedures, they definitely can be approved, and you definitely can be successful and have your GETD issues resolved.

Michele            

Kenkad72
on 8/24/19 3:54 pm
RNY on 08/06/19

I had a sleeve in 2013, and I had severe acid reflux. I took 2 40mg omeprazole plus pepcid. My esophagus lining was getting scared from all of the puking and reflux. I just has a bypass 2 weeks ago... I haven't had any problems with my acid reflux.

Most Active