Weight gain, now trying to get back on track

robiny
on 9/5/19 3:09 pm - Lake Forest, CA

Thank you. I will look into other programs to see if I can come up with the right fit.

HW: 303/First Visit Surgeon: 276/Day of Surgery: 253.2/Goal Reached: 138.6/CW: 219
Surgery : 03/19/09 - found Intestional Malrotation / RNY: 05/07/09

TheWombat
on 9/6/19 8:21 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I'm not a "veteran" like you, so my advice may not be helpful. But I find that the most useful tool in my weight loss is drinking LOTS of fluids. When I feel hungry, I first drink 500 ml of fluid, and see if I still feel hungry a half-hour later. One thing I often do is to have fluids only until dinner, saving most of my calories for the evening. I don't feel hungry or deprived, because I drink decadent "lattes" that I make with a spoonful of cocoa powder, a half serving (17g) of protein powder, and ho****er.

robiny
on 9/6/19 11:47 am - Lake Forest, CA

Thank you. I am a "waterholic", I drink a minimum of 10 glasses a day. I still stick with the rules of no liquid 30 minutes prior or 30 minutes after eating. I am thinking as mentioned in some of the other responses, that it might be what I am eating. I am going to change my food choices. Thanks for taking your time to advise me greatly appreciated.

HW: 303/First Visit Surgeon: 276/Day of Surgery: 253.2/Goal Reached: 138.6/CW: 219

Amy R.
on 9/6/19 11:53 am

Not many of us as far out as we are have escaped battling regain. It can be done though - I lost 50+ pounds of regain just last year. And my inspiration was a lady here on OH who is farther out than you and I are and who lost 60+ pounds last year herself. I don't exercise on purpose and I don't think she does either. So take hope! Never give up.

Some OH members must eat under 1000 calories just to maintain. Check the menu threads for ideas if you haven't already; you'll get tons of ideas there.

Personally, if I had an urgent need to lose weight (and it sounds like you do), I'd be ditching anything pre-packaged and go for preparing my own food. Those frozen meals are great and they work for many. I use them once in a blue moon myself. But prepping your own eats gives you total control over what goes into your mouth. You can't tweak a frozen dinner but you can tweak a burger or turkey burger by an ounce or two. When you're tracking as closely as you need to be, an ounce here or there of anything can make a difference.

If you're hungry consider ditching shakes or any liquid calories. Solid food is more satisfying for most of us. And the shakes can be crazy high in calories and such.

For the record, I believe you. You might be one of those who has a slower metabolism; in such cases the 3500 calorie pound may not necessarily apply. Can you have your metabolism checked? Those results might make a difference in your situation. At the very least you'll have an accurate BMR to reference.

That's all I've got; I hope you find your solution. And that your health improves. Maybe keep us posted when you have a minute and let us know how you are doing.

robiny
on 9/6/19 1:43 pm - Lake Forest, CA

Thank you so much for your reply. With yours and the other feedback I am going to make the change to preparing my own food. I am also working with my endocrinologist as I have multiple issues with my thyroid. I should know more in 2 weeks when my test come back. He has currently approved me to go down to 800 calories. We have discussed 500, but only intermittently. Thanks for taking the time to advise me. I will watch the menu thread for ideas and keep posting!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1301 views