Endoscopy Before Surgery- Now I have a question- VSG or RNY?

Vanvooh
on 9/23/19 11:36 am

Hello,

My surgeon requires that I have an endoscopy before I can schedule my surgery. As part of the presurgery blood work, I am testing positive for H pylori. If it turns out that I do have an ulcer- I'm wondering if I have acid reflux and just don't know it. Thus I am now also wondering if I should NOT have the VSG and have the RNY instead... ??

Thoughts?

TheWombat
on 9/23/19 3:49 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I think the endoscopy will tell you if you do have any signs of acid reflux damage, but I'm not sure. That would be a good question for whoever is doing the endoscopy. Armed with that information, you'll be in a better position to make a decision.

califsleevin
on 9/23/19 10:11 pm - CA

These are things to discuss with your surgeon once you get the results of the EDG. From what I have seen, H pylori is fairly common, and doesn't sway the decision one way or the other.

If there are signs of acid reflux damage, then that tilts the decision away from the VSG toward the RNY. On the other hand, if you are showing ulcers or polyps, that can tilt the decision the other way, as those are pre-cancerous conditions that should be monitored, which is difficult to do with the blind remnant stomach of the RNY. If there are indications of both, then it is trade off time, weighing the pros and cons of each with the help of your surgeon, and possibly considering other options beyond those two.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active