Do you underestimate how quickly you're losing?

TheWombat
on 10/14/19 1:49 pm, edited 10/15/19 6:44 am
VSG on 06/11/18

One thing I have learned is that I consistently underestimate how quickly I'm losing. For example, I thought I'd only lost 1 kg (2.2 lbs) in the last month. However, I recently switched from myfitnesspal to cronometer, which gives a nice overview of your progress on the same page where you enter your food. Imagine my surprise when I found out that I'd lost 2.3 kg (5 pounds) in the last four weeks. I'm closing in on my goal, so I'm very satisfied with that rate of weight loss.

I do this (underestimating weight loss) a lot. Fortunately, I've learned that when I get discouraged and think I've stalled, the first thing I need to do is actually check my records. Invariably I find out that I'm doing better than I think.

Does anyone else tend to think they're losing more slowly than they really are?

EDIT: I do weigh every day, so I always know how much I weigh. What I tend to lose track of is what I weighed, say, a month ago. So I don't always have a good feel for how quickly I'm losing.

White Dove
on 10/14/19 3:04 pm - Warren, OH

I honestly cannot tell without being on a scale. I hurt my back a few years ago and did not try to balance on the scale for a few weeks. I thought I was gaining but lost about 12 pounds by the time I weighed again.

I get on the scale every morning, so rarely do not know exactly how much I weigh. I would not know if I were gaining if I did not.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 10/14/19 5:31 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in the original post. I do weigh every day, so I always know how much I weigh. What I tend to lose track of is what I weighed, say, a month ago. So I don't always have a good feel for how quickly I'm losing.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/16/19 11:25 am

I have an app that keeps history on my weight in the last few years. It gives me perspective not only how much I lose, or gain, but about my weight fluctuation in 24 hours, 48 hrs or during a week.

My weight can be "off' by 4 lbs in any given 24 hours. Time of the day, hydration, BM, carbs intake (that can cause of deplete stored glycogen). For me - the weight average over a week is an indicator of how well I maintain my weight.

My weight can fluctuate withing 8 lbs in any 10 days. I.e. getting food poisoning can cause my weigh to drop easily by 5-6 lbs due to "losing electrolytes, getting runs and anything else that get affected".

it is a real roller-caster.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jmk187
on 10/16/19 12:03 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

All the time I feel like I'm not losing fast enough. Especially now that I started a new job. The new job has kind of thrown everything out of wack. My planned cheat days now don't really work with my days off now..also I have to weigh in after work now and by then I have drank so much water that it's not going to be the same as my weigh-ins before I started the job. I used to weigh in before drinking anything and after using the restroom. Anyways I did something I don't usually do this week...I weighed in on a Monday after work..2 days before my weigh in. And I was 3lbs down. With the amount of walking I am doing at work I knew I had to be losing with the amount of food I eat.. but each Weds the scale stayed the same. the shakeup in weighing in worked.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active