All this time and Probably not going to do it

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/16/19 1:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Congratulations on completely missing the point.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jmk187
on 10/16/19 1:16 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I didnt miss the point...The OP's health will continue to get worst without surgery. They have a defeated attitude because of one thing.. Not being able to use CPAP. They have No plans to use their CPAP now or in the future. I understand you almost died during surgery because they didnt hook your CPAP up..But The OP would not be able to be admitted without first checking in their CPAP during pre-surgery. So Just because they are lying about using their CPAP correctly doesnt mean their CPAP wouldnt be hooked up by their WLS team. Sometimes you have to weigh the risk in things..everything isnt black and white.

I did everything my sleep doctor told me to do..I wore the mask for 4 hours at night while being wide awake. I then took off the mask and turned over and slept 6 hours..I did this for months before and after surgery. CPAP doesnt work for everyone.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

on 10/16/19 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes, I undertand that CPAP doesn't work for everyone; only about 50% of patients adhere to their prescribed therapy. (Source)

However, I feel that you are completely blowing off the severe risks of untreated apnea by telling OP to lie about using their CPAP. Even aside from issues with anesthesia, the risks are tremendous-- we're talking stroke, heart attack, and shortened lifespan. (Source)

It's great that you got by without your CPAP. I don't feel it's appropriate to assume that everyone else can/should follow suit.

jmk187
on 10/16/19 1:31 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I'm not blowing off the risks..Just weighing the risks in having what i think the OP's BMI is 44? And Will Probably only get worse without surgery. Especially being that this one bump in the road is already making them give up...The chance of them returning to their old ways of eating will probably return. I know all about the severe risks..my mother has been on CPAP since the early 90s. And where has it gotten her? She is still almost almost 300lbs overweight and it horrible health! Yet she will talk you and anyone else's ear off about the benefits of CPAP. I'm sorry but What the hell are the benefits with my mother being in such poor health? I wish to god she had gotten WLS in the early 90s and talked everyone's ear off about the benefits of that!

But No..I am not blowing off the risks of not using CPAP..Even with me being skeptic about the industry..I still took it serious before and after my surgery...I tried to use it..it just didnt work.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

on 10/16/19 1:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

CPAP is not a magical cure for other health problems.

It's entirely possible that your mother's health would be worse without her CPAP.

:)

jmk187
on 10/16/19 1:40 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Well the industry promotes the heck out of it and even says it can help you lose weight...And I hate to say this but if my mothers health was any worse she would probably be dead. Every health issue she has is because of her weight.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Julia S.
on 10/16/19 10:30 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I did one of those take home sleep apnea tests. I didn't believe it worked correctly as I was supposed to do it for 2 days and the machine would not shut off or turn back on the second night. Of course the twit that met with me after that said I had sleep apnea and needed the CPAP machine. I too have insomnia and a phobia about a mask being on my face at night. So I ran into troubles with getting the surgery, plus the Center of Excellence certification required by my insurance. I finally got the actually results and the apnea was mild at worst and really did not require a CPAP. I swear they are just trying to make money and everyone has apnea. My surgeon looked at the results and agreed that I did not require it.

I know it was a lot of hassle to go through all of this, but I don't regret it at all. I did have the surgery and I'm much healthier now. So many things are so much easier. If you really want the surgery don't give up and find a way to make it happen.

Good luck!

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

jmk187
on 10/16/19 11:30 am, edited 10/16/19 4:34 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I am a believer that the sleep apnea industry is BS. I've had 3 sleep studies and the latest one which was 3 months before surgery. I know for a fact I did not fall asleep during it yet they told me I slept 6 hours...um NO. I even opened my eyes every 20 or 30mins and intentionally did things so they could see I wasn't asleep on camera... I was almost 100lbs less than the last time I had a sleep study done and apparently my sleep apnea got worst...from mild to severe.

Edited to say after the latest sleep study I had never been so tired in my life..that morning I went home and slept 8 hours. Hell no did I sleep 6 hours during the sleep study.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Julia S.
on 10/16/19 2:11 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

My roommate who just had WLS just wore the mask while he was playing computer games. They only want you to wear it 4 hours a day and be compliant for 14 days. He never wore it to sleep in and just did what was required to get the surgery and pass his CDL physical. He has an adjustable bed now and with that I don't believe he quits breathing any more, or at least not that I have seen. I believe for him it isn't really required, for me the only way the test would work was being on my back, I was unable to lay on my side which prevents most of the issues for a lot of people. It really is a game, they just don't want the liability if someone stops breathing after the surgery.

I agree the apnea industry only exists to make money.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

jmk187
on 10/16/19 2:19 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

My only point I was trying to get across to the OP was that Giving Up on something you worked so hard for over something you will never even use after surgery most likely is pretty foolish. I am 100% with you that it is a game...and the insurance providers want people to get frustrated and give up. And the doctors are for sure covering their asses for liability.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1071 views