All this time and Probably not going to do it

Vanvooh
on 10/17/19 9:25 am
On October 16, 2019 at 6:30 PM Pacific Time, jmk187 wrote:

I am a believer that the sleep apnea industry is BS. I've had 3 sleep studies and the latest one which was 3 months before surgery. I know for a fact I did not fall asleep during it yet they told me I slept 6 hours...um NO. I even opened my eyes every 20 or 30mins and intentionally did things so they could see I wasn't asleep on camera... I was almost 100lbs less than the last time I had a sleep study done and apparently my sleep apnea got worst...from mild to severe.

Edited to say after the latest sleep study I had never been so tired in my life..that morning I went home and slept 8 hours. Hell no did I sleep 6 hours during the sleep study.

Thank you JMK. I really appreciate your input and agree with you- That Sleep study was BS. I dont think I even slept at all but yet I was told that I fell asleep. IN my opinion, how could anyone sleep with all those wires on you anyway- of course I woke up several times. First of all- I sleep on my stomach so not being able to turn over kept me awake for quite a while that night. I think this whole thing is a total racket.

Laura in Texas
on 10/16/19 11:00 am

To me it sounds like you really do want this surgery, but you are just discouraged and are giving up. Can you try a different doctor to help you with your sleep apnea?

How does one "barely have sleep apnea?"

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/16/19 1:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Apnea is diagnosed by the number of times you stop breathing per hour. Fewer episodes of interrupted breathing is classified as milder apnea, so I'm guessing that OP had just enough episodes to meet the minimum threshold?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 10/16/19 7:14 pm

Thanks. That makes sense.

Her comment just reminded me of people who say things like, "I'm only a lil bit diabetic."

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Vanvooh
on 10/17/19 9:23 am

Yes.. According to my test I have only Mild Sleep Apnea. The surgeons office said that I would not need the machine normally but I had very low oxygen levels and I already have Coronary Artery Disease as well as Diabetes. So for that reason, they reccomended the machine

Mary Gee
on 10/17/19 9:54 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I had mild sleep apnea. Dr. said only reason she was prescribing the machine was because I was having surgery. Brought it to the hospital, never used it.

My brother has sleep apnea, uses his machine every night.

If you really want the surgery, you'll jump through all the hoops you need to. If you don't want the surgery, you don't jump through the hoops.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/19 6:55 pm

When I got my first machine (aPAP) I could not stand it either. They had my ramp starting at 4 and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. I fiddled with the settings and moved it to 8 and then later back down to 6 and that seemed to help a little. At first I would wake up and there would be no mask on my face. I'd look across the room and at some point I would take the mask off and throw it as far as the hose would let it. I wouldn't have any recollection of doing it. It took a week or two but eventually I got used to it. I switched from a nasal mask to nasal pillows and that helped a lot. Do you have an Apap machine? I think if you stick with it eventually you will get used to it. Like anything in life, it takes practice to get perfect. I understand your frustration though. I can't sleep without my mask on now. I don't know what I am going to do when I lose this weight and hopefully don't need it anymore. I hope you don't give up on your surgery goal over something like this. I know it isn't insurmountable. I wish you the best of luck.

sor09
on 10/22/19 1:27 pm

WLS is a serious selective surgery. You have your whole life infront of you. Commitments for life is just a part of Bariatrics life. You choice and no one is forcing you to do this. Exercising, bariatrics, foods and menus, vitmains will also be apart of your life forever post op. There is no magic nor reenventing Bariatrics protocol for now. The Bariatrics staff has your health ore op and post op for survival and success. Regards.

animallover1247
on 10/23/19 11:08 am

Want to know what could when you're not honest with your doctor?

My friend had surgery in Jan of this year. She lied about having sleep apnea and her surgeon never required her to get a sleep study. She quit breathing during surgery and had to be intubated.

That's what can happen.

DonRobbie
on 10/26/19 2:48 pm
DS on 12/18/18

A little bit of google fu will get you to how to access the clinician settings for your machine. They hide them but it isn't rocket science to get to them and adjust the machine to your needs.

It takes some fiddling to get used to the machine. I turned the ramp off (always make feel like I was suffocating) and tried a couple masks until I found a nasal pillow mask that worked and then had to do a bit of experimentation with the fit to get it from acceptable to comfortable. I was self pay and I still had to take the machine with me to the hospital (and use it). I was prescribed a CPAP but was given an APAP and so turned on the auto-titration and adjusted the pressure until it worked. If you're waking up it's too low, if you wake up with your mouth open or because your guts have been inflated it's too high.

It's your life and your call but the CPAP seems like a silly thing to get defeated by to me.