Funny things people who've had WLS do

TheWombat
on 11/1/19 1:20 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

What are some of the funny/weird things you do once you've lost a lot of weight? Here are some of mine:

Specifically looking for tops that show off my collar bones.

Rolling over in the middle of the night, and waking up confused because my belly has disappeared. Now I have to hug a pillow so I have something to rest my arm on.

If I am walking quickly, I dig my elbow into my hip to ensure my slacks don't fall down. (The slacks are only a few months old, and I'd like to get a few more months of use before I replace them.)

OnlineAnnie
on 11/2/19 12:13 am

I only buy pants with belt loops so I can cinch them tighter as I lose weight. Lol

White Dove
on 11/2/19 7:13 am - Warren, OH

My next project is making hidden button elastic belts for all of my pants. There are directions on YouTube and I ordered the supplies from Amazon. I have a lot of leggings with elastic waist and I am always pulling them up. With the button belts replacing the elastic I will be able to adjust them and not have to try to use a belt.

I am also planning to do the same with my jeans. Will let you know how it works out.

Go to YouTube and search Keep Your Pants Up

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/6/19 6:02 am

A lot of leggings or pants that have elastic waist I added an extra elastic (wide and comfortable) to the inside of the wrist band. That way they are really comfortable, and the extra waist fabric is spread around the whole length of the pants. Not one side bunching.

Some of them I added elastic only to the back portion of the pants when they are designed to have flat front.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 11/6/19 6:23 am - Warren, OH

After doing my first pair of leggings, I realized that wide elastic all the way around would be a good thing. The buttonhole elastic method does not require a sewing machine or any sewing except for sewing on buttons.

When you add elastic, do you open up the waistband, put the elastic in, and then sew it back up again?

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/6/19 6:40 am, edited 11/5/19 10:40 pm

I make "a vertical" slice on the inside of the waist, get the elastic in (using a large safety pin) bring it back to the hole to pull it out. Then I make sure the wider elastic is not twisted inside the waist band, saw that together (just needle and thread, overlapping at least 1" of the elastic. Then put the elastic all in and stich the hole. I make the elastic really comfortable. Even slightly larger length when laied flat than my waist (1-2"?) I don't want it to get tight on my waist, but fit loosely, but smaller that my hip bones. If it is as long as my waist measurement, it may get uncomfortable when I sit down or bend. I try the elastic against my skin without any pants to see how well it fits on me.

If the leggings or pants have their own elastic tape, I may just adjust the length.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 11/6/19 6:45 am - Warren, OH

Thanks, I was thinking of doing that and will try with a pair of leggings. The jeans I wore yesterday kept falling down, so I am going to work on those today.

MadisonRose
on 11/3/19 11:29 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I don't have anybody yet. Of course I haven't lost enough weight yet and am still pretty huge. Perhaps in time I'll develop some. Lol

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

TheWombat
on 11/3/19 1:16 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

According to the ticker in your signature, you've lost quite a bit. But it sounds like it hasn't really dawned on you yet! It can take a while for your eyes to catch up with the scale.

I remember the day I looked in the mirror and realised I looked like a little kid playing dress-up because my clothes were hanging off my frame. So I finally went on my first post-op shopping trip. When I put properly fitting clothes on, I looked so much slimmer it was a shock. When I went to work in my new clothes, no one commented on it except for a few close friends who knew about my surgery, but I saw everyone's eyes open wide with surprise.

I suppose the main reason I kept wearing baggy clothes for so long was that I didn't want to call attention to my body and how much it had changed. I wanted to stay hidden a bit longer. But now I'm ready to own it!

MadisonRose
on 11/3/19 3:39 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Geez I just realized my typos! Lol. Yeah, I mean I see the number on the scale change and feel my clothes fitting looser, but when I look in the mirror I still see all this fat. It's discouraging sometimes and I look at other people and think "I wish I could me thin like them." I also wear really baggy clothes. Just the other day I found a size 28 top hanging in my closet that I hadn't worn in awhile so I wore it to work that day. Of course it hung down to my knees, but like you, I didn't want to draw attention to myself by wearing fitting clothes and I felt comfortable in it. When in actuality I probably drew more attention to myself for wearing a top that looked more like a dress on me. It also makes me feel awkward and out of place when people come up to me and comment on how much weight I've lost or how good I look. Mostly because I'm introverted and don't like the attention, but also because I just don't see it in the mirror yet. But like you say, maybe in time I will. Some days I just get impatient and don't feel like I'm losing weight fast enough so I'll try to cut way back on calories or just have liquids that day. It's a rollercoaster for sure and I feel like my emotions are all over the place. Anyway, that's enough of me venting. Lol

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Most Active