Foamies BEFORE eating

Roselane
on 1/8/20 9:42 pm

I am one year tomorrow and am still getting the foamies a few times a week. I recently realized that I don't think it is related to what I am eating or how much. I say this because it often happens when I haven't eaten for at least a few hours. I also noticed that sometimes it happens when I eat a couple tablespoons of food in a restaurant, even when I eat very slowly. I can go home that night and eat a half cup of the same food much quicker and I am totally fine. Therefore, I am wondering if it is actually anxiety related (restaurants stress me out) or if there might be some other reason. Has anyone else had foamies when they haven't eaten in hours? Any suggestions for avoiding this?

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

White Dove
on 1/9/20 2:23 am - Warren, OH

It does sound anxiety related in your case. I am wondering if there is a stricture or ulcer. I would discuss with a surgeon. I have only had foamies immediately after eating or drinking too much too fast.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Roselane
on 1/10/20 6:55 pm

Thanks for responding and for mentioning these possibilities. I was also wondering about reflux. I will ask my surgeon. I tried last time, but he was a bit dismissive. I will push more this time!

sweetpotato1959
on 1/9/20 9:58 am

Roselane,

Our reactions to WLS are so specialized...Our bodies are individual and the surgeons who do this make many decisions as to the procedure needed for each of us.

I think it is probably a combination problem.some of physical and some psych.

..You might try de-sensitization of restaurants .. Pick one that is close and easy. You like the server/and they are attentive...choose an off time if possible to go. Have a protein before you go.... Go have one serving of one food. OR meet for coffee with a friend...some place you can sit down.. chill. Give yourself a cue,set your expectations, before you go n..." I am going to have coffee with ___ . We will visit and all will go well."

Sounds like the restaurant is adding fat. Most food has either fat, salt or sugar( some use MSG in some form) added for flavor enhancers. If toast comes with my meal i ask for it DRY, and give at least half of it away.- or leave it.

Hidden fat...was my most consistent trigger of foamies. any kind of meat salad sandwich, unless i made it myself- always made me ill.

Another possibility is you are getting TOO empty. If the meal you had was too far away and avoided liquids for too long, can be the result. I actually had this last night... a dry pouch w/ a few bites of dense protein can trigger mine..a few sips of warm liquid, 10-15 cc is often plenty , off sets mine i use coffee or herbal teas.. chamomile or mints..keep tea bags in purse and ask for half cup of ho****er.

Roselane
on 1/10/20 7:03 pm

This is very helpful, thanks! I hadn't even thought about getting too empty. That would especially make sense since I go longer without eating when I know I will be eating out. I will definitely try the warm fluids if I get dry.

You also helped me a lot with the desensitization idea. My husband and I are behavioral psychologists and have been discussing a desensitization procedure, but were stuck on a first step. I have helped a lot of children using desensitization and starting at a place where you are sure to be successful is key. Starting by going out for coffee is PERFECT for that first step!

I actually kind of don't think fat is the problem in my case. First, I unfortunately haven't really had problems with fat which isn't going to be good long-term. Second, I am completely fine with the restaurant food when I eat it at home when I am relaxed.

Thanks again for your insight!

Janet P.
on 1/12/20 8:09 am

In my opinion, eating out changes everything. I'm almost 17 years post-op and I still have issues sometimes when I eat out, especially if I'm with a large group. We eat differently at restaurants - you're not necessarily paying attention to how you're eating - the size of the bite, are you chewing enough, eating too fast.

Pay attention to your environment - it can have an impact. Don't avoid restaurants - learn how to use it to your advantage. Maybe there's too much food on your plate when you're out - ask for a to-go box as soon as they bring your food and remove half of whatever is on your plate. Put your fork down after every bite. If drinking is an issue, remove the water glass.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active