Need Help Staying in Control of my Diet

Alex2000
on 1/27/20 11:25 am

Hi I'm Crystal,

Don't even know where to start, guess I start by saying why I'm on this site. I weight 655 pounds. I have already been heavy in grade school I weighted nearly 200 pounds. I have a thyroid gland disorder and now it's to the point where the medication I been taking for years doesn't help. And beside that I'm so so tired of been over weighted I have missed out so much in my life. Now that I'm in my 30s. I don't know anything else but staying home I don't have any friends. I feel like a prisoner I'm so lost. Pass months all I do is cry feeling so lonely. I have my mother she is so supportive and loving I couldn't ask for a better mother always by my side. But I want more out of life. I have tried from diet plans to diet pills and weight loss programs. Even medical help programs nothing seems to work. The only way i can have the weight lose surgery is to loss 150 to 200 pounds. Been trying for years and yet all I've done is gain instead. I need help anybody that can help me please. I been seeing all these stories where people lost 100s of pounds in 6 months and when I try what they did it doesn't work at all. So I'm reaching out to people who know what I'm going through for help. I look forward to hearing from you.

notdamomma
on 1/28/20 6:03 am, edited 1/27/20 10:14 pm

Hi Crystal and welcome. This site is really very helpful if you care to stick around and take in all the information and such. I joined several years ago and never really used it until I started having regain after surgery.

The first thing that you have to do is get your mind wrapped around what you want to do. Then get a meal plan that keeps you at or below 1200 calories a day, without any carbs (other than nonstarchy vegetables) and protein. Protein will keep you satisfied but your biggest obstacle is going to be not eating between meals. Log all of the foods you consume. Drink water throughout the day to help keep you feeling full. Don't eat any sweets because sugar is also a carb and it will increase your cravings for more or more food in general.

Are you able to leave your house? If you can, you should get out and walk if only for a little bit. If you are unable to leave your house try doing some home exercises (you can find some videos on youtube that will help you to get your heart rate up) look for ones that are sedentary or done in a chair.

Lastly, it might be a good idea to seek therapy. The majority of us either have issues with emotional eating, binge eating or underlying issues that lead us to overeat. If you can work with a therapist it will help you.

You are not alone many of us have been where you are and while this might seem hard if you put your mind to it and really work to cut the carbs and sugar. Remember you have to expend 3500 calories to lose one pound. This means you need to have a calorie deficit and is why you have to keep your calorie intake lower so you can achieve the weight loss.

I am sure others here will have more helpful insights as well I have seen some great information posted by many of the regulars.

Alex2000
on 1/28/20 2:33 pm

I have try counting my calories and also carbs maybe I'm not doing it right. And I don't know a meal plan to use. I have tried so many and none seem to work. I have gallbladder problems it needs to be removed but no doctor will do it because of my weight. And yes I can walk I do my on shopping, cooking, cleaning and even go out. Thanks to having parents like mine that always made sure I just didn't eat and do nothing. All the information I get I will take notes and use what I think will help me best. Thank you for your help.

notdamomma
on 1/28/20 3:20 pm

I know this can all be very daunting but you've gotten some really good feedback on this post. As for meal plans, you don't really need a meal plan you just need to focus on reducing your calories and choosing foods that are appropriate, grilled/baked chicken, nonstarchy vegs like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts.

Like I said I came back to obesity help when I started having regain and I have been using this site for everything including recipes they post recipes on the main page but there is a recipe page too. Most all the recipes are bariatric friendly you just have to keep your portions under control. So, maybe take a look there to see if you can plan some meals using those.

It is great that you are able to get out and do your shopping just keep moving as much as you can to help burn off the calories.

And I wanted to say that I agree with Catwoman doing a gradual calorie decrease instead of jumping right to 1200 a day is better and probably more something you can handle doing instead of just depriving yourself all at one time. You can gradually get used to the lower calories and move them lower in intervals.

Alex2000
on 1/28/20 3:34 pm

Well the thing is I don't eat alot mostly once maybe twice a day. But I think it's the foods I'm eat because its mostly processed foods and I know that bad. My body don't burn calories like it should and that's also a problem. What can I do burn of more calories?

notdamomma
on 1/29/20 6:06 am

If you are eating a lot of processed foods cut those out and while you don't have to go organic, you should try to eat more clean. Steer clear of any foods that have sugar or additives to preserve shelf life. This would mean focus on eating protein (meats) and fresh vegetables. To burn more calories you need to exercise even if it is just 10 mins at a time. A lot of people who can't get up and physically move do the chair exercises, since you are mobile you could walk and do chair exercises throughout the day. You just have to keep doing it to burn those calories, but in order to lose weight, you will need to cut your calories too.

cspera
on 2/3/20 1:28 pm
VSG on 11/26/19

I was told to maintain 600lbs you have to consume at least 3000-5000 calories a day. So, I think you are eating the wrong foods and/or eating large portions. If you are going to give this your all, you need to cut out all take out and fast food. You need freshly prepared fresh foods, 3 times a day without snacks. It doesn't have to be fancy though. Simple chicken breast and cauliflower or squash. Fish and broccoli. Add in LOTS of water. You may even feel like you are starving, but once you reach 1200 calories/day, you will start losing weight. You can do it! We are all here for you.

HW 225 SW 207 CW 187

Alex2000
on 2/3/20 11:28 pm

Thank you for the reply, I have already started with cutting out the unnecessary foods I don't need. And I don't really eat fast foods maybe once a month and that's a maybe. My mean issue uses to be eating more then what I need but since September last year I have stop to one meal a day because when I eat gallbladder hurts my stomach. But since I been coming on this website a week now I have been getting advice from many others who are helping me. I eat light breakfast in morning and light dinner around 5 o'clock. It's been hard but I know I can do it.

catwoman7
on 1/28/20 6:59 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I'd agree with the above poster, but I'd consider cutting down gradually on calories rather than jumping right to 1200. When I was working with a dietitian prior to weight loss surgery, she had me first cut to 2300 calories a day (which because I was eating 3000+ before that, was a pretty big drop). That was do-able for me, and once I'd been down there for awhile, it was easier to cut further.

you might want to enlist the help of a therapist AND a dietitian (and preferably one who works a lot with bariatric patients). It sounds like you could use the support, and you might find them very helpful.

Alex2000
on 1/28/20 2:50 pm

Thank you the information

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1456 views