GERD?

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/20 12:35 am, edited 3/3/20 4:37 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

Acid reflux is a horribly uncomfortable condition that can lead to very dangerous and life threatening throat cancer . You need to solve this our sweet smart William !

my Dad just suffered three months of daily radiation for exactly this condition. He made fun of me for getting hiatal hernia surgery many years ago to end the reflux ( part of my RNY ) the surgery ended the pain and the overeating .

He's not treating it as a joke anymore sad to say ( but thank God he's in remission now from the cancer after 90 days of radiation. hope it doesn't come back .

hugs best wishes and love

Willie H.
on 3/4/20 8:42 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you. Appreciate all the responses. Fortunately, since taking Omeprazole my tickle and coughing has gone away. But I am taking this seriously because you never know? I've made an appointment with my Dr regarding this and I'll see what he recommends? Gratitude for this forum, helps us to be proactive!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

JazzyOne9254
on 3/5/20 3:06 pm

I take 40mg prescription Omeprazole every day for the rest of my life for GERD. I first had an upper endoscopy to try to stretch the esophageal entry to my stomach sleeve.

Not a bad trade-off for 261 pounds gone, never to return!

I have the Duodenal Switch. VSG is the top half of my surgery, so we have the same sleeve stomach.

Your surgeon would have the best answer with regard to revision.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MarinaGirl
on 3/5/20 10:05 pm

Omeprazole just masks GERD symptoms so damage to esophageal cells can still occur and increase your risk for esophageal cancer. PPIs also weren't developed/tested/approved for more than 6 months usage, so long term use of it is not a good idea as many serious health risks are coming out with this type of ongoing dosage. Please find a great GI to treat you that is also experienced with WLS.

Regarding the LINX device, I had one implanted in 2015, prior to gastric bypass in 2017, and it only helped for about 10 months and then I was notified that the FDA had recalled it. I had Mini Gastric Bypass in 2017, acid reflux resolved but then I developed bile reflux and Barrett's Esophagus, so I had the LINX device removed in 2018, along with a hernia repair, and a Nissen Fundoplication. I've been acid/bile reflux and Barrett's Esophagus free ever since. Please please take this seriously even if it means revising from VSG to RNY.

califsleevin
on 3/7/20 1:22 pm - CA

The potential masking effect is why I suggest that anyone who needs long term PPIs for symptom control should consider getting an EGD to check things out even if they don't feel any symptoms. There is also the prospect of stomach polyps when under PPI therapy, which is another pre-cancerous condition to monitor. This is particularly tricky for those RNY patients who need PPIs to control GERD or ulcers as the blind stomach makes such monitoring much more invasive (so it tends not to get done until something is symptomatic, which is often too late for easy treatment.)

This is why it's good to start with the lower level meds like Tums or Pepcid/Zantac and only go to the PPI if those don't do the job, and to try to wean off the PPI back to the lower level meds after some time to see if your body will tolerate the lesser regimen (particularly if one has implemented any lifestyle or dietary changes to address the problem.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/20 5:32 am
RNY on 01/01/14

May I ask what's a LINX procedure ? Could this be an answer for my Dad who suffered lifelong GERD from a huge hiatal hernia ( that I inherited from him ) .

He's old . Hiatal hernia surgery ( major abdominal surgery ) is no longer an option.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1363 views