Latest episode my 600 lbs life - very depressing..

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/29/20 1:14 pm, edited 3/1/20 1:32 am

I record the serie for a while now. Often I just scan through the episode, seeing and expecting similar stories... heavy person decided he/she needs help, and decided to seek help from dr Now almost always believing once they get the weightloss surgery, they would magically lose weight and never had to worry about diet. They only show one year from the person journey.

And if you have been on OH for a while, or had WLS surgery a few years ago, you know they delusional thinking that WLS is an answer to their obesity issues. That we have to do a lot of real work, before the surgery and after, then even more work more than 3 years post op. Some if us can stay within 5-10 lbs from their goal, others regain much more, but ultimately get back on proper diet and lose the regain.

Yet there are those who believe that the surgery needs to do majority of the work, and it shouldn't be so easy to regain, and soooooo hard to lose the regain. Some of those people get discouraged and just accept they always would be overweight, or severely overweight, obese. Unfortunately some of these people never really reached their initial weight goal. Stopping their weight loss 20, 40 or even more pounds from their goal, and started regaining. I personally know a few people like that IRL.

That brings me to the latest episode of the my 600 lbs life. The lady, 22-23 years old, is severely overweight, with no concept of what normal life, normal weight, normal diet should feel and look like. She was SMO as a child, and blame her parents for her issues. Her actions and her attitude was shown as someone with a severe mental inability to take care of herself. It is a very sad episode. I think her prognosis are very bleak. Almost hopeless. Unless she finds someone who would mentor her in her life, take time and effort to teach her about life, not only about food and diets. Otherwise she has a minimal if any chance to be happy in her life, to be an average weight, and to have a job. Because of her obesity, and her other issues, she lives a very isolated life, with no family or friends close by, and with a very limited contact to other people. Very very sad story. Her loneliness, sadness and depression made me feel depressed for her. I really feel sorry for her.

Eddited to correct some typos.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 2/29/20 5:36 pm - Warren, OH

I started watching it last night. I am only part way through, but what really broke my heart was when she was leaving for Houston and her pretty little black and white dog as sitting on the couch watching. She just walked by it without say goodbye. I could never do that to a pet.

That told me how messed up she is emotionally.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 2/29/20 7:33 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I thought the same thing! But a few minutes later in the show you will see that the dog is with her in Houston. They didn't show us how the dog got there.

Indeed, it was a very sad show. She is extremely immature, and the depression makes it so much worse. In her meetings with Dr. Now, she is just trying to figure out what to say to please him. She isn't thinking for herself. But at the end of the show, it seems like there is a glimmer of hope that she is trying to take some responsibility for herself. I hope so.

One thing that has always bothered me a bit is that so many people on the show talk a lot about making Dr. Now happy, proud, angry, or disappointed. That suggests to me that many of them have childlike aspects of their personality. You have to lose the weight for yourself. If you do it to please someone else, you're unlikely to succeed.

There was another show recently with one guy who had huge holes in his slacks. I felt so bad for him.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 3/2/20 7:03 am - Burleson, TX

HALA - I agree with you, 500% !!!! I went from wanting to HUG, that young woman, to wanting to SHAKE her...just a little...Mostly I wanted to smack her mother...She knew good and well the father was mistreating that girl, and ALLOWED it, to go on...and on...Then later, in the show...SPOILER ALERT...she evicts her, and stops paying the "friend"/caregiver (not that he was all that great), leaving S. high and dry... You can't just DECIDE to let your kid be an "adult", if you never TAUGHT them HOW !!!

Dr. Now needs to hire ME...to be in charge, of stupid parents...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/3/20 10:06 am

Her mother could and should have take her to Social services and help her get disability check.

I think her mother must have decided to put her in the dr Now program.

I think the participants there get paid, and my thinking is the girl probably did not want to"share the earnings" from the show and the mother decided enough is enough. Living in the hotel is not cheap, and ... looking how she got a tub of ice cream, and was not concerned about the cost "they charge that to your room" indicated to me someone else was paying her hotel bills. Maybe the program?

The above is just my speculation... and we would never know for sure...

Also - I think people around her were enablers. At her weight, she was still walking, yet she made the "friend" to warm up her meal and serve it to her. Later on we saw she could walk on her own without any supports like cane, or a walker. Walking from your hotel room to hotel lobe to get the tub of ice cream, then return to the room - she was able to do that.

I think she got used to others serving her.

I do think somehow her mother, felt guilty about the abuse, and was trying to compensate. We don't know what else she was trying to do to motivate the girl.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/2/20 5:37 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Which episode are you talking about? Is it the one where she kept losing her paperwork? If it is, honestly I don't feel that incredibly sorry for her. Mostly I wanted to shake the **** out of her. I can't believe anyone is that clueless, even if she was that sheltered. I'm not sure if it's her mental ability where she's on the verge of needing care or not. Getting her to speak more than a couple of words was also a challenge for Dr. Now. She just seemed disconnected from the whole process.

I think even Dr. Now could see that the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top with her, which is probably why he offered to continue giving her therapy.

Between her & the other woman who insisted that it was the program that was failing her, not her, not her eating, just makes me wonder where the hell are these people living & what is going on in their head?

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

catwoman7
on 3/2/20 8:05 pm, edited 3/2/20 12:06 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree - I don't know where they find half these people. I think people with various "issues" juice up their ratings, but honestly, I think it might be giving viewers a screwy perception of bariatric patients.

edited to add that I guess we more "normal" bariatric patients would be too boring..

Gina 21 Years Out
on 3/3/20 6:51 am - Burleson, TX

Ummm...IDK...We've seen some pretty screwy peeps right here, on OH, over the years :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

catwoman7
on 3/3/20 7:43 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yes - you're right! A couple of them came to mind immediately!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/3/20 9:55 am

Yeap, that one. The 23 year old one...

I can see not only her emotional but her mental limitations. I often feel really sorry for people like that. And her not really having any emotional support from her mother or anyone in her life. That to me was pitiful. Beyond pitiful.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1459 views