Was weight loss surgery the Best thing ever done for yourself

Dee_Caprini
on 4/10/20 10:07 am

Thank you!

Nic M
on 4/7/20 8:31 pm

I chose the wrong surgeon. He was awful. Truly malicious and not just inept. I chose the wrong surgery. Lapband is the worst. It did permanent damage and I'm still feeling the effects today, even though I had surgery in 2003. Weight loss surgery was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. But I'm probably in the minority. If you research and choose a good surgeon and the surgery that is correct for you, it can be a very good decision, no doubt.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Frank_M
on 4/8/20 6:29 am
VSG on 05/14/19 with

VSG was probably the 2nd best thing I did in 2019. I quit smoking a few months prior. About 15 years ago I was in pretty good shape, both in terms of weight and fitness ability. But due to a ton of life traumas, stressors, and bad decisions, I had many bad habits to overcome. Weight loss was a concern but I battled several other worse things. As I corrected 1 issue I would notice myself doing or increasing other habits. Smoking was the last bad/socially unacceptable habit I kicked. Then I decided it was time to get healthy. I had WLS in May of 2019. I joined a rec center a few weeks later and just ealked around the track mostly. I got up to 4 miles at a time. My stamina has improved greatly, temper has decreased a lot, and a sense of calm has come over me.

So to answer your question, it is not the best decision for me but definitely among the best decisions. I am 7.5 pounds away from being in the normal BMI range. I am gaining some self respect again and thats hard to do. Sime people say wls is cheating. But if it is, all the hard word that goes into measuring and resisting temptation makes up for it. Best wishes on your journey, it can be incredible!

Janet P.
on 4/10/20 9:42 am

It was one of the hardest and best decisions I've made. I was SMO (about 340 pounds) but I had severe, life threatening sleep apnea. Once I realized WLS was my best hope, I put 150% of my energy into making sure I would be successful. I work at it every day of my life. It helped me understand how important my health is and what I have to do to stay healthy.

The most important thing is that I no longer have sleep apnea. The weight loss was a bonus. I've maintained my weight loss for more than 17 years.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active