best advice to pre-op newbies

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/20 8:03 pm

what are some best advice to give pre-op newbies like me

catwoman7
on 4/25/20 7:38 am, edited 4/25/20 12:49 am
RNY on 06/03/15

1) stick to your plan

2) stalls are normal, and the vast majority of us have our first one within 4-6 weeks post-op (they usually occur the third week, hence the name "the three-week stall", but they can really happen any time within the first few weeks after surgery. I had mine during weeks 2 & 3). When it happens, see #1.

3) Unless you're the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life", do not expect to lose 30+ lbs the first month. Some of us do, but they're the exception. I have no research studies to back up my claim, but just based on what I've seen here after hanging around for the last six years or so, I'd say 15-25 lbs the first month is probably the norm for us typical bariatric patients. So don't freak if you "only" lose 15 or 17 or even 20 lbs the first month. That's normal.

4) along the same lines, don't compare yourself to others. People's rate of weight loss can vary a lot depending on many factors, many of which you have little or no control over - age, gender, starting BMI, metabolic rate, whether or not you dropped a lot of weight pre-op, etc. I was a slow loser from the get-go and ended up losing all my excess weight. Just remember rule #1. Your commitment to your program will have a far greater impact on your ultimate success than your rate of weight loss will.

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/20 8:30 pm

Thanks for reply to my question and yes I'm over 600lbs

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/25/20 1:31 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Everything Catwoman said. Also:

• In advance of surgery try to get in a good eating pattern as you will be healthier at the time of surgery and it will be easier down the road. I lost 1/3 of the 100+ pounds I needed to lose before the actual surgery
  • Immediately post-op (even in the hospital) walk as much as you can which will promote healing and get your strength back quickly.
  • Sip, sip, sip water constantly immediately after surgery to make sure you don't get dehydrated.
  • Follow your surgeons recommendations for food transitions exactly - no cheating as this is crucial for healing.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

White Dove
on 4/25/20 2:06 pm - Warren, OH

The first two years after surgery is the honeymoon. There will be metabolic changes in your body that usually take away hunger. You will have restriction on how much you can eat at one time. Along with this usually comes a real burst of energy and determination. Use those first years to get rid of all the excess weight and to learn healthy eating.

Although there is no normal, most lose 20 pounds the first month, 10 pounds during months 2-6 and then 5 pounds a month for the last 6 months. It is 100 pound loss in one year. After that is "normal" to maintain easily until about year three.

Then the body rebels and the rebound phase kicks in. It is normal to gain at least 20 pounds during year three. You can avoid that by sticking to the healtny eating that you learned during the first two easy years.

You can make the decision to be a lifetime success or to be a failure. There is no magic, it is all about what you eat and how much you move. Just like people who do not have surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Partlypollyanna
on 4/25/20 4:39 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Everyone has given great advice, I'd add use the time getting ready for your surgery to work on your brain - learn about head hunger, figure out if you are a bored eater, an emotional eater, all of the above, and how you will handle that in the future, find out if there are things you just can't have...I have learned recently that I can't have good tasting protein bars in the house, because I'll eat them like candy bars. On the other hand, I can keep those frozen yasso bars around because a 4 pack can last me months since it's something I enjoy if I have it but it doesn't call to me. It's hard work, and it's work that I seem to restart every day, but it's good work.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/25/20 6:55 pm - Burleson, TX

Listen when an experienced person answers you, with an answer, that you didn't really like...Don't think people are being "meany pants", because they are telling you can't put chocolate syrup in your protein shake/crush Oreo cookies in it...YES, that is a REAL question...

When people are willing to LISTEN, they will LEARN...all of us are here to HELP, and we want everyone to be SUCCESSFUL...none of us get paid/sponsored, to stick around here, year after year

All our peeps gave so many fabulous answers, and I concur 1000%

Just to add: TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!! The time will fly off, and you will think nothing is happening...But, you keep taking a picture, like in front of the SAME door, each time, and you will see MORE, of the door, as you see LESS, of YOU!! That's something I wish I had known to do!

Oh---and I keep ONE clothing outfit of your pre op size...You'll be glad, when you throw a "Come as I WAS party", and those pre op clothes fall right OFF. We did that, at a WLS party...SO MUCH FUN !!!

It's been 18 years since my WLS, but I absolutely remember how EXCITED I was...and being scared, and a million other emotions....and I am excited, for YOU !!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

grannymedic1
on 4/27/20 4:53 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

In addition to the advice already given I would learn what it takes to really win and what it takes to fail. Those were important things for me to learn. What it takes to fail was the most important because I initially couldn't imagine it was even possible.

In searching out the answers I took advantage of wls groups, pre and post surgery, I was on these forums constantly, I talked to the nutritionist, and was careful to follow my surgeons plan. I also worked on my eating habits pre surgery, as well as my expectations.

I had my first surgery in 2010, and revision in 2012 and maintain my weight within about 10 lbs one way or the other. It can be done if you remember this journey is for life, not just until you lose your weight. Your surgery gives you a tool only. It is up to you for the hard work it takes to use it. And, it is very hard work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You can do this.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

008shell
on 5/8/20 2:49 am

I am brand new to this forum and still at the stage of "should I do this, will it work and am I making the right decision". I have read through the above comments - thank you!

I know its not a miracle procedure and if I have it "poof" it will all be perfect - i guess what I was hoping that by having the procedure it will help train my brain to recognize that I AM full and I don't need to eat anymore. I am hoping to train myself to eat smaller meals more often. I am an emotional eater - I eat to celebrate and I eat to commiserate.

I am hoping that someone out there can tell me if the above is the "right track" or if I need to go back and re think. I hear, understand (and have read above) the work continues to keep that weight off and make use of those first 2 years to keep this success.

I am after more information from those who have been there. How did you "train" yourself to maintain healthy. To not celebrate or commiserate - or what ever your trigger is.

Most Active