Regain woes

porticog
on 5/18/20 12:22 am

I had surgery in 2010 and did fairly well, but after hitting maintenance and staying there for a few years, life got the best of me and I started to see an increase in my weight. I joined obesity help a few years after I had surgery and just never used it for support.

I'd like to find others who have experienced some regain and maybe some who have had success in getting it off. I have about 70 to get off myself.

Anyone here having the same issue or had success in battling the regain successfully?

Partlypollyanna
on 5/18/20 10:48 am
RNY on 02/14/18

There are definitely people that have experienced regain and those who have also taken regain off. The RNY menu thread seems to be one of the most active and if you go through the history, you can see various conversations about this topic, different ways of addressing and being successful. Drop by!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

The Salty Hag
on 5/18/20 11:46 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I'll be 7 years out in two days. I had a 20 lb regain between 2016 and 2017 and lost it. I kept it off for a year.

I'm now at my highest post op weight and have 30 to lose. I really wanted to cry when I finally got on the scale. It was a punch in the gut to see how much I'd gained. I was so pissed at myself.

I got my ass back on track last week.

I stopped indulging in all of my quarantine baking and went back to strict low carb, 20 a day is my total carb allowance, and went back to weighing my protein out. I've gone back to 1,100 calories a day. I also stopped using my stationary bike as a towel rack and got back to riding.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

notdamomma
on 5/21/20 8:00 am

Quarantine baking OMG I so did the same thing. Glad to know I was not the only one doing crazy ass crap.

White Dove
on 5/18/20 12:44 pm - Warren, OH

At least 99% of us have had regain. We are here to support each other and to find ways to lose it. The RNY menu thread is where we go to work on this. Please join us.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dee_Caprini
on 5/19/20 3:31 pm

We all, in one pound or another have experienced regain. I regained over 20 pounds and I went back to basics as if I was restarting my program... 2 shakes and a sensible dinner. All was approved by my nutritionist as well with some modifications and I was able to get where I wanted.

notdamomma
on 5/21/20 7:58 am

I swear this sounds like me writing this. I did the same thing, had surgery, and joined obesity help but never used it. I started regaining weight several years after surgery and am now back and using the site as much as possible to help with getting back on track. I was doing very well before the viru**** and life changed considerably. So when I came back to this site I went back to meal planning and prep and also tracking everything. It did help me stay on track and I even started back walking multiple times a day. Weight was coming off. I hit a stall when the virus shut things down (kids out of school, places closed) and now that things are getting somewhat normal I am back to doing it again. I can't claim any success in losing the regain but I am working on it. I suggest sticking around and using the menu thread on either board to help you stay accountable. I don't use it (my posting is sporadic since I have a 6 yr old to care for) but I have seen a lot of regulars suggest this to many who come here. I have also seen people posting who have lost the regain so there is hope for us. :)

bloomoon
on 5/25/20 10:41 am

Same. I had RNY surgery in 2010, got down to my goal weight and kept it off for several years. Then about four years ago I noticed the regain. I'd have fits of trying to get back on track but it just kept creeping up. Finally, in 2019 I couldn't take it anymore and turned back to the Jenny Craig weight loss program (I had signed up for the lifetime membership several years before surgery). I was concerned about being able to get enough protein through the prepared meals but when I actually calculated my daily protein intake it was fine. It took me about seven months to lose my regain of 40 lbs. I stopped using Jenny food about three months ago but I'm still using the principles and it's working. I'm staying +/- 2 lbs of my goal weight consistently, which is a huge win for me. I work out (cardio and weight conditioning) nearly daily for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

Honestly, the hardest part for me has been realizing that weight concerns will probably be something I deal with for the rest of my life. Somehow I had got it in my head that once I had surgery and lost the weight, I would never have to pay attention to what or how I eat. I struggle with craving sweets, and even tried an appetite suppressant. It's hard to say if it was truly effective. I stopped taking it. I'm reading a book called Eat for Health by Joel Fuhrman at the recommendation of my doctor, not my RNY doctor (it talks about how to address eating properly so as to avoid cravings, we'll see).

Good luck on your journey!

summerset
on 5/26/20 2:51 am
On May 18, 2020 at 7:22 AM Pacific Time, porticog wrote:

I had surgery in 2010 and did fairly well, but after hitting maintenance and staying there for a few years, life got the best of me and I started to see an increase in my weight. I joined obesity help a few years after I had surgery and just never used it for support.

I'd like to find others who have experienced some regain and maybe some who have had success in getting it off. I have about 70 to get off myself.

Anyone here having the same issue or had success in battling the regain successfully?

Over a decade ago I experienced some regain when I stopped smoking. Got rid of it by diving into intuitive eating. However, the concept of IE is not exactly a very popular one on WLS boards.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/26/20 4:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That's because the end result of intuitive eating got every single one of us onto the operating table.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active