Have you had the gastric balloon procedure?

Chacha831
on 5/28/20 9:27 am

I am considering weight loss surgery and I am learning about the gastric balloon. Has anyone here had the balloon procedure? I very much would appreciate hearing about your experience. Thank you in advance.

White Dove
on 5/28/20 10:39 am - Warren, OH

The balloon is a temporary procedure. It is left in for a few months of quick weight loss. Like for a bride who want to lose 20 pounds to fit into a smaller wedding dress. After the balloon comes out the weight comes back.

I don't think anyone on this board has done it. People on this board want permanent weight loss and have surgeries to do that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Chacha831
on 5/28/20 11:03 am

That you so much for this information. I didn't know that about the balloon procedure.

hollykim
on 5/28/20 11:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 28, 2020 at 6:03 PM Pacific Time, Chacha831 wrote:

That you so much for this information. I didn't know that about the balloon procedure.

I agree with white dove. The balloon is a " bandaid". If you want lasting weight loss and reduction of the co morbidity,look into weight loss surgery anywhere on this site.

Dee_Caprini
on 5/28/20 3:18 pm

Agreed that it's a temporary fix... A lot of us (or, at least me) had to change everything about the way we look at food, how we eat, when we eat, WHAT we eat and what's IN what we eat, what we don't drink when we eat and vice versa.

So, if you are slightly overweight and need to lost some additional pounds, I think that 30ish pounds lost is ideal with the balloon... but if new habits aren't formed, then the weight will certainly come back if you were to maintain the same eating habits prior to the balloon.

If you are looking to lose significantly more weight than that, then take a look at the other options and consult with your medical provider and insurance company to see what is covered. If you're looking for support in any aspect, these boards will be helpful.

Best of luck

NYMom222
on 6/1/20 6:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

A friend of mine had the balloon procedure. Lost some weight over six months. They removed it. Then gained all the weight back then had the sleeve and lost the weight.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Chacha831
on 6/3/20 7:10 pm

It looks like the balloon is not for me!