RNY pst op 10 years low sugar

KajunMom
on 6/18/20 11:42 am - LAFAYETTE, LA

I had my RNY Gastric bypass in 2010. Just this last 2 years have had trouble with sugars (hypoglycemia) getting as low as 35.
Anyone else have this trouble or any advice?

TIA

catwoman7
on 6/18/20 6:16 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

yes - there are several of us who deal with RH (reactive hypoglycemia), including me. I just really limit my sugar intake, and I eat something every 3-4 hours. Usually a protein - or if I have a (good) carb, then I'm sure to eat a protein with it.

KajunMom
on 6/19/20 8:29 am - LAFAYETTE, LA

Unfortunately, my sugars are at their best when I don't eat. I rarely eat sugar and if it has sugar my limit is no more than 8 grams of added sugar. I'm just frustrated bc nothing that I know of is making my sugars drop as low as lately. I'm scared I will end up dead or in a coma. And I feel like my Endo is just pushing it off as I don't eat enough and blaming my RNY. I appreciate your feedback.

hollykim
on 6/19/20 10:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 19, 2020 at 3:29 PM Pacific Time, KajunMom wrote:

Unfortunately, my sugars are at their best when I don't eat. I rarely eat sugar and if it has sugar my limit is no more than 8 grams of added sugar. I'm just frustrated bc nothing that I know of is making my sugars drop as low as lately. I'm scared I will end up dead or in a coma. And I feel like my Endo is just pushing it off as I don't eat enough and blaming my RNY. I appreciate your feedback.

what is a typical days menu for you?

KajunMom
on 6/25/20 4:40 am - LAFAYETTE, LA

My typical menu is breakfast a protein shake, lunch - 21grain toast with a slice of cheddar, snacks consist of peanut butter crackers, cheddar blocks, cashew. Dinner consists of red beans with brown rice. I drink coffee in the morning and drink water for the rest of the day.

This is just a general day. I do have to remind myself to eat.

Teena D.
on 7/2/20 7:20 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I don't suffer from RH but have followed along on some other threads. Are you a vegetarian? It seems to me that you need more protein.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Dee_Caprini
on 6/19/20 10:43 am

I have seen a few articles that have been published oh the OH blog that you may want to take a look at if you haven't already.

I just did a search with the keyword and they popped up

https://www.obesityhelp.com/?s=reactive+hypoglycemia

Hope these help!

White Dove
on 6/20/20 9:18 am - Warren, OH

I just had to learn what to eat, when to eat, and how to be careful. There are times when I will get low away from home and drink a glass of juice to bring my sugar back up. It is not the best solution, but walking or driving at 35 is not safe.

This is common with weight loss surgery and seems to get worse as time goes by.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ChangedLife
on 6/22/20 3:24 pm

I just wanted to reiterate what others have said that you are NOT alone.

I have been dealing with my hypoglycemia since 2017, but increasingly worse to the point I could barely function by 2019. My lowest recorded fingerstick has now been 23. I had an RNY gastric bypass in 2011. It has been a difficult, hard, scary road and I really wasn't sure where to turn. I had many Physicians and Endos trying to evaluate me, tests, blood work, change in diet to the point my head was spinning. Some people seem to be able to control it with dietary changes, but I cannot do so. The changes that were initially shared with me from various doctors was to cut out high glycemic foods, be extremely careful with fruit, 6 small meals throughout the day, do not drink 30 minutes before or after a meal, limited carbohydrates, focus on protein if you eat a carb: eat a fat and a protein with it, increase the fat, eating 1200 calories or less, and eat a snack before bed. I made so many changes, but none of it seemed to help. I even had a doctor suggest having a partial pancreatectomy. Please, please, please do not do this as there are so many side effects from that as well. If it would help I could send you an example of those diets.

I ended up also being tested in the hospital for a tumor that would cause over insulin production. Being in the hospital for three days in the ICU with nothing to eat and being hypoglycemic most of those days with fingersticks every hour. Followed by bloodwork when I got low enough to collect. Those three days are very blurry to me. I did not have a tumor thank heavens.

I eventually found a Doctor/Endo that really has helped and continues to work with me. He really evaluated and listened to me I eventually started a medication that was supposed to help and it did nothing but made me gain weight and it did not balance out my blood sugar. Others on here have suggested to me the use of ozempic or the higher dose formulation called saxenda. My Doctor would not put me on this medication after I asked him. In the past few weeks, I have been trying a new medication called proglycem. It stops all insulin production, in liquid form, and I have to take it three times a day and very expensive. So far I'm dealing with side effects and still experiencing hypoglycemia particularly in the mornings. I'm still struggling through, but I hope some of this may give you some ideas.

From this I've learned that you have to be with a Doctor that you really feel has your best interest at heart and listen. Let your support group know what you are experiencing and how they can help. I carry glucagon, glucose tabs/gel, and apple juice in my purse. I have a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) that helps me monitor for trends and I can see what I eat and the correlation between the blood sugar and those foods. Be kind to yourself, because the emotions you feel while you are hypoglycemic and after are very difficult. Some days I have difficulty getting out of bed because my life is RULED by hypoglycemia right now. Not every suggestion that some people may have may work for you, but it is worth it to give it a try.

What is a daily food intake look like, for a menu? Do you drink sugary drinks at all? When do you find your hypoglycemia to be worse? Reactive hypoglycemia or Nesidioblastosis is what most of us face do you have this diagnosis?

If I can help in any way I would be honored, just let me know and I hope we can both get through this and be at our goals!

KajunMom
on 6/25/20 4:43 am, edited 6/24/20 9:43 pm - LAFAYETTE, LA

Thank you so much for your personal story, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking that the endo is not experienced with bariatric patients and they are trying but don't know what to do.

I also ended up with Cushing's after my RNY and had a pituitary tumor. Had it removed and now am in, I guess they call it remission or cured (?)

My typical menu is breakfast a protein shake, lunch - 21grain toast with a slice of cheddar, snacks consist of peanut butter crackers, cheddar blocks, cashew. Dinner consists of red beans with brown rice. I drink coffee in the morning and drink water for the rest of the day.

This is just a general day. I do have to remind myself to eat.

My lows just happen at any time of the day. It is super weird and now I'm starting to not have the warning symptoms, it just drops.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1372 views