RNY pst op 10 years low sugar

ChangedLife
on 6/29/20 2:47 pm

Yes, it sounds like that may be the case about your Endo. The bariatric side really can change things. I found my Doctor/Endo through a University Health System that does Bariatric surgery. I trust him very much. Mayo Clinic I have also been told has been doing research on this very topic. I have also been informed that there are some drug makers who are attempting to get a drug to combat reactive hypoglycemia, but it is not yet in clinical trials. It might be worth making some phone calls close to you to see if anyone else can give you a second opinion especially after a diagnosis of Cushing's.

I was hoping to get to you sooner, but I had a bad reaction to my medicine and ended up passing out from hypoglycemia so I apologize for the delay.

For reminders to eat I have my cell phone set at specific times of the day spaced out to continue my 6 small meals a day. Coffee in the morning as much as I love it really the caffeine can get my hypoglycemia going. I have cut back to a mixture of half regular coffee and have decaf to try to avoid that.

One suggestion for you that works for me for eating is that every time you eat a carb to have a protein and fat along with it. Be careful with the crackers typically I can eat no more than 3 crackers in a setting. Focus on protein and low carb veggies first and then if you have room eat the carb. Good fat is your friend like PB, nuts, avocados. Typically I can have 1/4 cup of brown rice or whole-wheat pasta but I have to be careful.

My lows also occur any time of day, but improved with the medication it seems. At night however, I am pretty much low from around midnight until I wake up. It is called hypoglycemia unawareness. Where warning symptoms are also vague because the more frequently you are low your body gets used to BEING low that symptoms do not come like they used to. This is why I have a prescription for glucagon and that might be beneficial for you to have as well. Once your body feels these lows the symptoms could nearly disappear before reaching the point of passing out. For your Doctor it might be beneficial for you to keep a diary of how you feel when you wake up, what you eat (down to the grams, cups, etc..) and how you feel after, any strange symptoms throughout the day. Even if it is just for a week that would give them definite information to look at. If you have a glucometer I would take your sugar 6-8 times a day during that week just to monitor and observe. When you awake, after breakfast, lunch, after lunch, dinner, after dinner, and before bed. This really helped my endo see what I was dong. Just be careful with the fingers and make sure to rotate sites. The more information you give the doctor the better it will help them.

I hope that some of this information helps. I feel like we have to stick together on this thing! I had no IDEA going into surgery that this was even a possibility coming out of it. We can do this!

sweetpotato1959
on 7/2/20 4:17 pm

Yes, ! I was/ have been hypoglycemic since i was 20....Dr found my 2 hr post paradial at 19 and i was asymptomatic.! skin warm and dry, not hungry... Dr, scared the fluey out' ta me.... told me if i did not control would be insulin dependent in 5 years...well it is 41 years later and i am still hypoglycemic- if i break my diet... ( Now that's a good reason to stay on track!)

It will generally take 2-3 days of strict control to get it up, stable and feeling your best.. You did not say when the sugar drop is happening.. That will help you decide how much/what to add... see below..

It is important to know your needs for sugar balance will change with time.. even after you have successfully balanced .. Sometimes it lasts for a few months... sometimes a year of more.. Pay attention to your symptoms of low sugar... Think about it, common ones for first symptoms are heavy sweating, suddenly, weak knees. irritability, shakiness inside , jitters, seeing spots, followed by black out...

NOW you need a activity diary... you need to track your carbs/proteins along side your activity, .. not by the day, but by the HOUR. a paper and pen s best way to be able to look at a concise schedule of the balance, timing of each input.

DO exactly what Catwoman said..

no sugar. limit carbs of all kinds..ADD protein./healthy fats that are in your proteins... You will need to experiment to find your sweet spot of carbs to be served with your protein... Much depends on your activity level. and the changes in it.. ..and when you are having your drops..

.... If your drop is within one hour of a meal add 5-Grams carbs to that meal... for the same conditions..activity level...

You should also consider if you under high stress .. adrenals need extra supports if this is the case.. there are natural supplements for this, licorice is one.. I use Bittermelon capsule 1x daily for 15 days of month... takes about 2 mo.s to get me back so i am not so reactive.Researcher Dr Timothy Sullivan, found it helped restore the isles of langerhans.

With a blood sugar drop is in morning.. add an extra serving of protein before you go to bed... a tablespoon or two of peanut butter , an ADA serving of cheddar cheese and 1-2 saltine crackers. keep something beside your bed for emergency consumption.****ep hard candy).. I can not go to sleep if sugar is too low.. I also have a small amount of 1/3 dilution of gatorrade.. 1/3 gatorade and 2/3 water .JIC, i usually keep 1/2 cup of that handy..

Meinwhile you need to get it up and maintain it safely... If you tolerate milk.. it is best, balanced option for protein and sugars. 4 oz. is usually enough.. take first mouth ful hold in in mouth and uder tongue/ in buccal cavity for at least 1 minute, 2 is better. then swallow.. sip remainder of milk. follow with JUst a protein/ cheese/peanut butter/almond butter. My Mom used to add peanut butter to her 3 oz serving of oatmeal and to her coffee. she would get a serving spoon and that was her serving... ( she also had wls- and lost down to her goal after about 2 years.)

My personal level is no more than 12 grams of carbs with any meal.. and a limit of 1/2 serving for regular snack. If I increase activity by push mowing the yard- then i Must add an extra protein and a carb..

Ex.If you decide on M, w, f to begin the day with a 30 min walk, you will need to eat before you go and use at least 2 ADA servings of carbs..on those days, and take a balanced shake or carb serving in your pocket.. until you know your personal reaction.

Hope this helps.. it has worked for me.

Denise
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1349 views